Go Bottom Go Bottom

Diesel additive -not enough or too much

View my Photos
Woodie
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-10-19          157370

I hope someone can put my brain cells to ease. I normal stock up a few gallons of diesel for the winter. I add some additive (standyne) for the storage. The problem I have seems that AAD (Age Activated mental Deficiency) has snuck up on me that I can't remember if I've added it already or not. ?? Question - should I just let it be or If I add another dose will I be okay (would be a doulble dose) hopefully not create any extra trouble later when I use the fuel.
Also, wound up with a box of "stuff' (oils,oilers, etc) from an auction had two bottles of the Power Service. One -Red opened, only a few ozs missing. and another PowerService ,White bottle, unopened. Whats the big difference between the two?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-19          157372

I've doubled up on Stabil and Power Service white with no problem. Never used Stanadyne. ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-19          157373

Presumably, the red jug says Diesel 911 and the white says Diesel Fuel Supplement. I use the white jug in the winter time to prevent fuel from gelling. The red jug is to use in case you forgot to use the white jug.

It won't hurt a lick if you accidentally double up on the white. In fact, a single dose of white is considered the spring/summer/fall treatment. A double dose is specified to get the anti-gel protection for winter.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-10-19          157376

Woodie,

How many gallons of diesel are we talking about here? If we're talking in terms of 5 or ten gallons, there are two possible solutions.

The first possibility is to simply burn up as much of that fuel in your tractor as possible before putting the tractor away for the winter. You can then add more fuel to the can and treat it with an additive. The addition of the fresh, untreated fuel, will dilute any additive you may have already added.

The other possibility is to simply purchase an additional fuel can, then pour half of your suspect fuel into the new can. Add a minimum dose of additive to both fuel cans and then top them off with fresh fuel at the station.

Joel ....

View my Photos
harvey

2008-10-20          157378

Diesel is not going to go bad in 6 months, If stored in non galvanized containers. I would not worry about it. Sometimes adding a bunch of this and that is worse than what you r trying to prevent.

Greg correct on PS red typically goes directly into filter after wax build up. white goes in tank.

The best thing to add during winter if you r buying summer fuel is kerosene 25% or so we mix up to 50% for our heavy equipment. Mine at home is as high as 50% also and I park in heated area. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-10-20          157380

I've never used Standyne but used Power Service for a long time in farm equipment. I use it year round at regular rate then double it in the winter for my baby John Beere. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2008-10-20          157388

Realistically, you have an engine that can run on things labeled diesel, kerosene, jet fuel, vegetable oil, home heating oil, a few other things that I can't think of at the moment and any combination of the above.

A diesel is the internal combustion engine version of a garbage disposal. Adding twice the amount of fuel conditioner, or even three, four or five times the standard dosage will not harm it.

In my experience, the more I add the better, smoother, quieter my diesel runs and even smokes less.

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-10-20          157398

Woodie, almost had me worried, no idea when I have measured the amount I use. A pour of that looks about right unless doing 50 gallons or more is what I have always done. Learned how to measure watching the cooking shows on tv. :) kt ....

View my Photos
Woodie

2008-10-20          157406

To all of you who have responsed-APPRECIATE all the good advice THANK YOU... My normal storage fuel setup is a 15 gallon plastic drum and two 6gal plastic cans. I'll buy some 'fresh' stuff and treat accordingly and then fill the tractor half of the new stuff and half of the questionalbe (if treated) storage fuel. I'll be using up some fuel here shortly anyway-get the grass/weedfields cut back down one last time. Guess i'll need to devise tagging system so i know if i've treated the canister or not.
Hardwood-- a John BEER?
the only treatment my beer gets is a proper chilling and not 'treated' aka Reinheitsgebot (German Purity Law) of 1516, (only the right stuff) ..he he Thank You again for the help...:)
Again to All thanks . ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-10-21          157409

Woodie; I must have been dreaming of a cold one at the time. I proofread anything I type a couple times but still miss something once in a while. Frank. ....

View my Photos
dkheckmanl

2009-12-07          167250

I have some Power Service additive that has been around for 4 years or so. I wonder if that stuff if goes bad? ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2009-12-07          167251

You might be interested in the link below. I'm thinking Power Service is close enough to diesel fuel where the 12 month rule might apply. Even if you take their advice with a grain of salt and double that to 24 months, I think it's probably a good idea NOT to run 4 year old Power Service through an otherwise good engine.

//greg// ....

Link:   Click Here

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-12-07          167255

I don't have a yes or no answer as to whether PS goes bad with age, but I sure hope not. I just opened a "New" jug of the white jug PS earlier this fall that I know I've had for 5 or 6 years. Tractor is running fine as of yesterday. Frank. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2009-12-07          167258

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 167255
Tractor is running fine as of yesterday. Frank.
Well, that's not the test I'd go by. The reason most folks in cold country use (white jug) Power Service this time of year is because of the anti-gel properties. So the question about old stuff isn't whether or not your tractor runs ok, but whether or not the fuel will freeze the next time your thermometer falls to or through single digits.

I don't know what specific anti-gel chemical PS uses, but isopropyl alcohol comes to mind. And that stuff tends to evaporate out, especially after the seal has been broken.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-12-07          167264

gregg;
The seal hadn't been broken till this fall so it should be OK?
Frank. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2009-12-07          167265

Hmmm, a couple of years - maybe. But suffered through thawing out a frozen diesel fuel delivery system once already, I personally wouldn't trust a sealed jug that's over two years old. I had slush in the tank, ice in the screens, a frozen sediment bowl, frozen lines, and a block of ice inside the fuel filter. Rather than go through that again, I'd pay the price of a fresh jug of Power Service. But if you're the eternal optimist, I guess we'll find out - the next time your fuel system sits idle for a few hours of sub-zero temperatures.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-12-07          167267

Quite a few years ago the local Co-op got some diesel that was real high in wax. Anybody that didn't have their tractor in a heated shed had a problem, me included. I must have gone thru a half dozen fuel filters and a couple jugs of PS before I got that fuel blended down enough to not wax up the screens and filters. Yes, diesel fuel drizzeling off your hands and elbows at zero or however cold it was isn't a neat deal. Never had it happen since, but always put some PS in even in the summer. Frank. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2009-12-07          167271

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 167267
... always put some PS in even in the summer.
Me too. I don't use enough tractor diesel to justify a dedicated tank, so I just buy and store it in 5-1/2 gallon containers. I put 4 ounces in each empty container, then pump diesel fuel on top of it to mix it in. Pre-mixed fuel takes the guesswork out of adding it to the tank. I use the silver jug (cleaning & cetane boost) for most of the year when overnight temps stay above 32F. For the cold months, I use the white jug (cleaning & cetane boost + anti-gel).

//greg// ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login