Synthetic Oil vs Petroleum and Filter Quality: Diesel Fuel Lubrication Engine Additives  -- Tractor Maintenance Discussion Forum and Review Synthetic Oil vs Petroleum and Filter Quality: Diesel Fuel Lubrication Engine Additives -- Tractor Maintenance Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Diesel Fuel Lubrication Engine Additives Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 12-06-1999, 00:00 Post: 10697
stinkr

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 Synthetic Oil vs Petroleum and Filter Quality

I recently was told that I should be using a special oil in my diesel tractor. The guys at the local farm store told me Shell Rotella SB 10W-30 was it. Anyone know if this is correct or is there a better choice? Also does anyone have experience with fuel additives such as Essentialube (made by Hydrotex)which are supposed to reduce the formation of sulfuric acid by combustion. Thanks

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

12-06-1999, 00:00 Post: 10699
Bill

Filter by User

Stinkr,
Well, if I were you, first off I would follow the SAE viscosity grade called out by your manual. Secondly I would follow the CF2, CF4 CG4 or what ever is listed in your manual. Then I would find a quality synthetic which meets both of those requirerments, along with the correct oil filter in a good quality. Personnaly I have switched all lubes in my tractor to Amsoil. I used Shell Rotella in my F250 7.3 liter deisel, and IMHO did not like it, even though I was changing every 2500 miles. Was the only CF2 at the time that I could find. Would not use it or recommend it. Email me if you would like to know more.
Bill

12-07-1999, 00:00 Post: 10704
greg h

Filter by User

for what its worth i use MOBIL DELVAC 1 synthetic oil year round. It is more expensive than conventional oil but it has many qualities such as good cold weather flow. One thing to consider is never try to exceed the manu.hours requirements on oil changes on tractors. The dirty conditions under which they operate makes frequent oil changes mandatory. Do alittle investigating about synthetics from amsoil and mobil. You might just find yourself like myself and feel quilty not providing you equ. with the best. Also bear in mind most of us dont use our tractor enough for the cost to negate the benefits.
Just my 2 cents
Greg h

12-07-1999, 00:00 Post: 10714
Roger L.

Filter by User

I'm not convinced that any oil is much better than another as long as they meet the same ratings. I think oil preferences are more religion than science. Be sure to check your owner's manual against the ASTM rating on the oil can and change oil more often than not. For what it's worth department: none of my tractors recommend a synthetic oil in the manual. I would be tempted to try synthetic in the combined transmission/hydraulic system if I didn't already use John Deere Hy-gard....which I do....and it has decent flow at low temperatures, as well as lots of history to back it up - particularly as regards the interaction with seals. I do wish that some manufacturers would test synthetics and recommend them. Maybe the newer tractors do this. Mine are older.
As for engine oil, I'll stick with Shell Rotella in the appropriate multigrade weight. My motors seems to like it and it is recommended by many over-the-road truckers. My experience with it has been good. For filters I use the manufacturer's own filters....although I not above disassembling one to make sure that I agree with the construction method.

12-07-1999, 00:00 Post: 10724
Bird Senter

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Roger, you're probably right about the oils. There was been much discussion on other boards about this topic. And other than personal choice, everything I've been able to find about synthetics, comes to the conclusion that they are the thing to use if you are talking about Alaska in the winter (or a similar extremely cold climate). Otherwise, they are a waste of money. Of course, as someone else mentioned above, you may not use enough for that to be a big consideration. I'm in central Texas in an area where there are a lot of real farmers using a variety of equipment, and so far everyone I've asked either uses Shell Rotella or Chevron Delo 400.

12-07-1999, 00:00 Post: 10738
mario

Filter by User

I thought rotela is synthetic oil. I have used the delvac and it is much better in our winter climate at getting to work sooner. With regular staight weight oils I would not get the thing to turn over at all never mind start. Our winter coldest temps are -10 - -20 degrees F. Delvac allows me to start the thing without a block heater and get to work in short order. I would not go back to standard oils unless I moved down south.

Have many of you folks tried to pour oil out of the container at - 20 F. It is a real eye opener. Most 30W straight grades turns to grease.

Happy tractoring.

12-08-1999, 00:00 Post: 10743
Nuclear_Weapon7

Filter by User

How do you test oil to see if it is ok ? Without going to any laboratory. My Massey Ferguson dealer who also sells oil from the company that manufactures Massey tractors told me that one simple test was to put 1 or 2 drops of oil on your index finger and rub gently with your thumb. You should not feel your fingerprints. Many oils fail that test and many oils clear that hurdle. Any opinions ?
Nuclear_Weapon7.
Hyderabad,
Sindh,
PAKISTAN.

Link:   Click Here 

12-08-1999, 00:00 Post: 10760
MichaelSnyder

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Ya had to bring up the oil thing..My advise would be to ask for comparative experiences rather than "OPINIONS". In an effort to be different..I won't tell you my opinion. Rather I'll tell you a story, one of many actual experiences, of which I've accumulated over +230,000 miles using Synthetics over Petroleum products. After which, you generate an opinion of your own:..My 1990' Acura w/Petro achieved an average of 29MPG over a period of 15K Mile Manu'f recommended oil changes(7,500x2). I average 11 Gallons per fill-up in that car (for some unknown reason) or about 40-50 fuel purchases in which I ALWAYS calculate MPG, even today..This morning as a matter of fact. After converting to Synthetics at 85k miles on the ODO, I yielded a consistant 2 MPG increase over the next 15K miles. Performing a little math for annual costs..Averaging 30K Miles a year, 29MPG=1,035 Gallons of gas per year, 2MPG increase, or 31MPG requires 968 Gallons. At a conservative price of $1.25 for regular unleaded gas, Petro yields=$1,293.75, Synthetics yield=$1,210.00..a saving of "Approximately" $83.75 in reduced fuel costs PER YEAR..(Actual saving are higher, but messes up the story) "All" Premium Synthetics offer extended drain intervals, One of which is AMSOIL (My Preference), offering 25k or 1 year intervals. Out of personal convenience (spring/fall), I change oil conservatively at 10K miles less than what AMSOIL state, equalling 15K mile intervals. At $4.95 a quart plus $8 AMSOIL HD filter, an oil change costs me $32.75 or $65.50 a year. The El CHEAPO Petroleum oil (which I never used anyway) probably costs $.95 per quart, and a FRAM filter used to cost about $5-$5.75. WOW..A $10 oil change!! NOW, lets compare these two "actual" situations. Petroleum should be changed at Acura's recommended 7,500 mile interval, averaging $40 a year in oil changes, Lets forget the 4 per year "under car sessions". Synthetics, cost $65.50 in materials, but saved me $83.75 in fuel. A saving of $20, and $60 over petroleum. If you change oil every 3K miles, Your "under car sessions increase to 5, and oil costs increase to $50 a year. We should also compare winter starts, time till operating oil pressure is achieved, Sludge build up, ect... Sorry, I tried to hold it in.. "REMEMBER FOLKS..Synthetics are a waste of money, because all oils are the same...."

12-08-1999, 00:00 Post: 10763
MichaelSnyder

TP Contributor

Filter by User

After stepping off the salt box,I forgot about your question of "special" oil.
As others indicated, I would also assume it is in reference to the oil having a CF/CG rating. Of which many oils do not carry. If nothing else, use what the manual recommends. You can't go wrong if you follow the Manu'f minimum recommedations. Thats my 2 cents.

12-08-1999, 00:00 Post: 10766
Peter

I think the most important thing you can do to a lubrication system is to frequently change the fluid. I use either Shell rotella, or Dreyden(Now Castrol) Dieselall. I try to cut the change interval in half of what the manf recommends, depending on the type of use I've been doing. I also make sure to pour some oil into the filter at time of change to prevent the time that the oil pump is filling the filter, rather than pushing it to the bearing. I figure the added cost of the extra changes is well worth the down time of engine work. A week or two of no tractor can add up to serious lost revenue if you had work scheduled!!

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Diesel Fuel Lubrication Engine Additives Forum

Thread 10697 Filter by Poster:
Bill 17 | Bird Senter 11 | bo 7 | greg 1 | Greg B 1 | greg h 3 | Ken 1 | mario 8 | Mario DeBartolo 1 | MichaelSnyder 15 | mike 2 | mike t. 2 | Nuclear_Weapon7 6 | Peter 1 | rmunn 1 | RobertN 2 | Roger L. 7 | stinkr 1 | tj 2 | tom 1 | tractorman 1 |

Most Viewed

+ What Oil To Use With Kubota
+ OFF ROAD DIESEL FUEL?
+ diesel engine not starting properly 1466 IH
+ propane conversion for compact/small tractor
+ blue or yellow diesel fuel cans?
+ Kubota Hydraulic Fluid
+ Synthetic Oil (Shell Rotella)
+ Diesel additive -not enough or too much?
+ ETHER---YES --OR--NO?
+ Stihl 2 Stroke Oil Fuel Mix

Most Discussion

+ Synthetic-Oil-vs-Petroleum-and
+ Synthetic Hydraulic Fluid
+ Synthetic Oil (Shell Rotella)
+ blue or yellow diesel fuel can
+ Water Wetter by Redline oil -H
+ Off road vs. Taxed Pump diesel
+ Stihl 2 Stroke Oil Fuel Mix
+ Diesel? Gas? Something else?
+ Fuel Additive????