Go Bottom Go Bottom

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
millers1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-06          103698

OK>. another question about the 2210. Do I need to use any fuel additives (anti-gel, etc) during the winter? The tractor will see sporatic use, mostly to clear any snow we might get, for the next few months.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-06          103700

Definitely treat your fuel with an ati-gel and cetane booster. I use Power Service available at TSC. I have used it for years here in Michigan and haven't missed starting due to gel yet. Anytime the temperature gets below 14 degrees, you need to be concerned about gel in the fuel filter. Most fuel available for over the road service has already been treated, but I treat mine anyway. Sometimes the tractor sits for a week between starts, and I want to be sure it is there when I need it. I add about 2-3 ounces for a 5 gallon can. ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-06          103701

I use Power Service also, I got it at Wally World! ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
Cptdave

2005-01-06          103702

How much PS per gallon?
Dave ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
millers1

2005-01-06          103703

I've seen that at Walmart just the other day. Looked at it but didn't buy because I wasn't sure. It's *little* bits of info like this that makes this website worth subscribing to. ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-01-06          103709

Since it only takes 1.5 ounces of Power Service to 5 gallons of diesel I picked up a cheap oil mix syringe at Wally World as well. I only bought a quart of Power Service for a couple of bucks, it probably loses it benefit if left in a gallon jug for over a year, I just don't use that much diesel. ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
Chief

2005-01-06          103717

Maybe I did the fuzzy math but I mix mine at .6 oz. per gallon. I use the Power Service in the White bottle for winter use. In most area's the fuel is already treated by the distributor and none it needed but it is VERY cheap and WISE insurance. The John Deere fuel additive is good stuff too as is Stanadyne Performance Formula. ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-01-06          103718

The version I have says mix 32 oz of Power Service to 100 gallons of diesel which is 1.6 per 5 gallon can. I'll check which Power Service I have and confirm this mix after I go out there in the AM. If my math is right here ;-)

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
Chief

2005-01-06          103721

I think I may be using that "fuzzy math" combined with my CRS Dennis. ;O) I may be thinking about the Power Service in the Silver bottle but I thought the mixture was the same for that too? I also use the Lucas fuel additive oil too and I may have cornfused that. I rechecked my fuzzy math and it looks like .32 oz. per gallon. ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
ksmmoto

2005-01-07          103724

I just guesstimmate and dump some in. Maybe I should measure?

ksmmoto ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-01-07          103727

I do not think using too much can hurt your engine.

I have accidentally tripled or quadrupled the dose and my little Yanmar just got smoother and easier to start. ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-01-07          103735

Randy,

I have the "Power Service, Cetane Boost, Year Around Formula". It says add 32oz to 100 gallons, which is 1.6 oz for a five gallon can.

I noticed when I was at Wally world that they had several varieties of Power Service available and the mix ratios probably vary.

It terms of over doing it Mark is probably right, but since the amount to be added was so small I figured I should have some idea of how much I put in, and the fuel I am getting is from a local station so it is already treated anyway, this is just additonal insurance.

When my driveway was paved they brought a huge diesel highway paver and I saw first hand how tough it can be to get that thing going on a cold morning, they wound up using a backpack leaf blower to put pressure in the tank to clear the fuel lines. So at a minimum keeping the fuel pristine is a priority. ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
beagle

2005-01-07          103760

I've been about double the recommended dose for as long as I've been using it. It does seem to help the tractor start and run smoother in the cold weather. ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
millers1

2005-01-07          103783

OK.. got the Power Service stuff.. Guess I'll treat the fuel tomorrow and see how it works out. It's been increadibly warm here in WV.. but I expect that won't last long.... ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-01-20          104579

If your tractor is just sitting there and you add it, should you run the machine a bit or take it for a spin to mix it up? Will it be ok if you just dump it in a full tank and not move it afterwards? See where I am going with this? At the last minuit I dumped some in my tractor and did not move it afterwards (time restraints) ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
Cpt.Dave

2005-01-21          104587

I use a shot glass to measure,I round it off to 2oz. per gallon.Dave ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-01-21          104593

I use 3 Oz. per 5 Gal. ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-01-21          104595

Brokenarrow,

I put the Power Service in an empty 5 gallon can prior to taking it to get filled. Then I even shake it up before adding it to the tank.

All that said it probably won't hurt anything with what you did but its not optimal for protecting youir fuel from gelling. ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
millers1

2005-01-21          104599

I'm now using the Power Service additive. Been pretty cold here and the JD seems to fire right up without much effort. ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
NHDaveD

2005-01-21          104610

Guys in this thread and others it sounds like everyone either uses the Power Service in the white bottle or the silver bottle or the Red-line brand. Stanadyne Performance Formula was mentioned by 2ndHandLion as good stuff. That's what I'm using - Stanadyne Performance Formula All Season Diesel Fuel Conditioner.

I figured it was easy to not have to change types of additive for the Summer and Winter seasons since I may overlap seasons with the fuel purchase.

Stanadyne has a good reputation and is supposed to be one of the leaders in the diesel industry. Has anyone else used the same stuff and have I made the right choice to use it year round? IMHO the specs on it looked good but, what do I know - I still a rookie to all this.

Thanks

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-21          104612

Different strokes for different folks. The Stanadyne is good stuff, no doubt.

However, there's always one of those isn't there, in colder climates diesels need other things than merely water dispersants and cleaners.

Power Service also gives you a big boost in Cetane, an additive to prevent wax cloggin of the filter, and lowers the gel point of the fuel farther than 'regular' additives.

In more moderate climates these things aren't as critical, the forecast for here is calling for temp's of about -10°F overnight tonite, and a high of only about 2°F tomorrow, but a foot or more of new snow ....

Those are NOT the type of conditions where you want anything but your absolute very best chances of starting and running.

Best of luck. ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-01-21          104614

How much PS per gallon?
Dave
===========
.60 ounces ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-01-21          104615

The version I have says mix 32 oz of Power Service to 100 gallons of diesel which is 1.6 per 5 gallon can.
=============
I know the label says 1.60 oz. for 5 gallons but it seems most folks on here recommend 3.00 oz. per 5 gallons so that's what I use.

Would rather use more than to little.

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
NHDaveD

2005-01-21          104616

Here in New Hampshire it is pretty cold too. About -7°F last night, it is about 4°F now and is to be -?°F tonight. We're supposed to get snow also - Saturday evening into Sunday morning.

The specs from Stanadyne says that it does all that Murf said. Even though the link I've included is their info the tests and data were from an independant lab. The data shows that it out performs Power Service Artic Express and Power Service Diesel Lube. I don't know how that compares to Power Service in the white bottle or the silver bottle.

Take a look at the data and let me know what you think. Maybe someone could give me the link to Power Service so I can try to compare. I'd appreciate it.

Murf please don't think that I'm doubting you. I always defer to you guys with way more experience than me - especially you 5 tractor guys - I'm just trying to understand what I'm reading.

Thanks ....

Link:   

Click Here

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-21          104617

I suspect there's a little stretching of the facts somewhere, everybody's 'research' shows their product is better than Brand X.

How can everybody be # 1 ?

I just know that based on extensive 'seat of the pants' research, the PS seems to work the best up here, on our engines.

As I said before, different strokes for different folks. No offence percieved or taken.

Best of luck. ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
NHDaveD

2005-01-21          104620

Murf,

I will gladly defer to your "extensive 'seat of the pants' research". Since the 10 bucks or so is much cheaper than any damage to the engine or fuel system I'll make the switch. What Power Service formula or dare I say color bottle do you recommend? I hope the bottle colors are the same in New Hampshire as they are in Ontario. ;o)

Would you say that it would be alright to use the Stanadyne I have during the other 3 seasons?

Thanks,
Dave ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
NHJIM

2005-12-07          120556

Thank You all for the help. I save my " fuel stabilizer" bottles, the squeeze to measure ones, and transfer the cetane booster (winter formula now) to it. Six oz per five gals. Hope this helps. Jim. ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
RRagent

2005-12-25          121694

No one mentions "Sta-Bil" fuel additive, Course it don't get as cold in North Carolina as it does up in Northern part of country.Should I go with the Power Service instgead of Sta-bil? ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-12-25          121698

I use both Stabil and PS. Might be overkill but I keep Stabil around for gasoline storage anyway. ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
Chief

2005-12-25          121701

I use Sta-bil & PS as well for my ag diesel that I purchase in bulk and may end up being stored for extended periods. As Ken said, probably over kill but it is cheap insurance. I also treat this fuel with Power Service BioKleen. It to is VERY cheap insurance as if you have ever had a batch of diesel fuel go bad due to microbial growth; it can save you from loosing large amount of diesel. A friend had 75 gallon go bad this way. The fuel would run in his dozer enough to idle and reach operationg RPM no load but not with a load applied. Changing filters did not help, nor did PS fuel additive. The microbes actually consume the fuel and render it pretty much useless. ....

Link:   Bio Kleen Diesel Fuel Biocide

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
millers1

2005-12-25          121704

Sta-bil is good stuff. I use it in our lawn tractor, weed whackers and motorcycles during the off season. I was under the impression that Sta-bil is a gasoline additive.. not for diesel use. Better read the label and make sure. ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
Chief

2005-12-25          121705

It is manufactured and recommended for both. ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
millers1

2005-12-25          121707

Wow.. didn't know that. I'll be reading the label next time I go down to the barn. I just figured that diesel's main problem was gelling at low temps and gasoline turned to varnish with age... never figured the two fuels had the same problems. ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
Chief

2005-12-25          121709

I am not sure that it is a matter of both fuels having the same problem. I think the Sta-bil reduces the rate at which the fuels decompose or break down with age. No way for me to prove it scientifically. I keep about 200 gallons of diesel on hand. I figure it is cheap insurance and can't hurt. I use it in all of me gas powered equipment and have had good results for many years. ....

Link:   Sta-bil Applications

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
Chief

2005-12-25          121710

As a background note Gold Eagle who manufactures Sta-bil also make John Deere's fuel additive. ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-01-24          123377

How much PS per gallon?
Dave
Cptdave
I use 3 ounces per 5 gallon of diesel.
Here is the easiest way to do it.
Pour 9 ounces of Power Service from the white bottle into a baby bottle.
Take a black felt tip marker and mark the 3 6 and 9 oz measurements on the baby bottle.
Once you've done this you will never have to mess with cleaning up a funnel and measuring cup again after adding the 3 ounces of power service to the 5 gallon can of diesel fuel.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MY FIRST CAR http://www.hubcapcafe.com/ocs/pages01/chev5003.htm
OUR FIRST CAR http://www.hubcapcafe.com/ocs/pages01/chev6003.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
RRagent

2006-01-24          123384

Can you add the Power Service to tank after fill up? Seems
it should mix ok doing this. ....

Fuel Additive

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-01-24          123397

I add power service directly to the tank before pouring the fuel in. This is done because I use a water-filtering fuel funnel to filter the water out. If additive were added before the filtering funnel it would disperse the water and defeat the purpose of the funnel. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login