New Cadet safety feature is a pain!: Cub Cadet  -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum and Review New Cadet safety feature is a pain!: Cub Cadet -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Cub Cadet Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 05-06-2002, 10:39 Post: 38204
Mike Drudge
2002-05-06 10:39:58
 New Cadet safety feature is a pain!

Hello All,

Just purchased a new 1517 Cub Cadet and after using it once, I'm amazed that the new Cubs now have a feature that disables the PTO anytime the machine is put in reverse. I probably put the machine in reverse 30+ times evertime I mow the lawn, negotioating around trees, etc. That mean the PTO has the be turned off....and on again, 30+ times. Besides being a major pain, it's got to cause more wear on the pully and belts. I totally support safety features, but this....is going a bit far in my opinion. Anyone else have this experience w/ the new Cub Cadets?

-Mike

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

05-06-2002, 11:45 Post: 38206
kay

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

I am not familiar with the Cub Cadet, but am with John Deere. JD has an over-ride on the mower engage switch that will bypass the reverse cut-off switch.
I understand that it was Cub that was sued when someone backed over a child with the deck running, and now all tractor/mowers have the reverse cut-off switch built in. Children shouldn't be anywhere around when using a mower anyway, let alone behind the mower.
Look for the over-ride method on your Cub. What you describe is a nightmare.

05-06-2002, 12:29 Post: 38208
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

I agree some 'safety' mechanisms are a little ridiculous, some are just plain dumb. Case in point, some of our mowers have a 'dead-man' switch in the seat, when you stand up the ignition shuts off, however, if you step on the brake pedal it will keep running. So if you have to get out of the seat to move some debris it shuts off the engine, it will not stay idling. The dumb part is the machine is equipped with a seperate parking brake system, in front of the parking brake lever is a sticker which reads "Never leave a machine running unattended." How would this be possible unless you bypassed the safety system. It's just one of those things that makes you go Hmmmmm..... Best of luck.

05-06-2002, 16:40 Post: 38215
Stan

When I got rid of my White Garden Tractor and traded for my Massey, one of the BEST things I found was that on the Massey, there was not an override - It was a pain to cut around some of my stuff and have to re-start the deck every time.

If I want to leave the seat - the PTO must be off or the engine quits. If the PTO is off, then I can apply the parking brake and leave the engine running.

Since I don't have any PTO equip that I want running if I'm not in the seat, this isn't a bad setup for me.

05-06-2002, 19:50 Post: 38220
cutter

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Actually, it was John Deere that was sued for that mishap I believe. At least that is what the Cub dealer told me years back when I purchased an 18hp Super Tractor. Same setup though, every time you backed up the electric clutch disengaged. I found a micro-switch mounted inside the dash next to the hydrostatic control lever. I simply bent it over a bit, end of problem. Never did back over the children, dog, cat or neighbor and chop them up. Must be I operated it in a safe manner, and the kids knew not to go near any equipment that was running unless they were looking at the operator and were motioned that it was ok. With much of the population functionally illiterate due to being raised away from equipment and the rural envoirnment, the government tries to make everything idiot proof. I saw two urbanites trimming a hedge one day in the inner city with an old hand mower. They had one hand on each wheel and moved it over the hedge. It was truly a sight to behold, and now I can't let go of my trimming mower to pick up a stick without it shutting off. Oh well, that's progress right.

05-07-2002, 08:08 Post: 38243
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Yikes! That safety feature would sure make using my 3ph snow blower difficult. Disabling safety features really isn't a solution. If there's ever an accident, then there's probably also no insurance. Maybe it's a good thing I like my gears and my old tractor.

Still, the other day I did wonder if my 4wd was working because I was spinning only one tire. Turned out that I engaged the PTO instead of the 4wd. Guess that's why they come with guards. Similar to another comment about getting used to shifting with your left hand: I get used to it pretty quick. After a hard day of loader work, I tend to hop into my 1/2-ton and put it in gear by signaling for a left turn. Well, maybe these safety features aren't all bad. Of course, I don't have a PTO brake that gives me five seconds or so after the engine shuts down to align the shaft. I might have a little difficulty with that one too.

05-07-2002, 20:41 Post: 38284
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

The old common sense is not too common these days.
I heard that one of the mower manufactures had been sued as a result of someone cutting off a hand mowing the hedge. The arguement was that the sticker did not say keep hands away when mowing only feet.
I can not understand why people are not responsible for their own mistakes. I just makes our lives more difficult. I mow under low branches by backing up.
My take on it is, that the problem is 1 in 100, 1 out of 100 are lawyers in this country. With that percentage it becomes a make work proposition.

05-08-2002, 06:33 Post: 38300
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Over the past few years nearly every manufacturer of lawn mowers has been sued for someone running over someone with a mower. It is a shame that the courts have made it that we can goof up and hold someone else for our mistakes.

05-08-2002, 13:01 Post: 38317
Miike Drudge
2002-05-08 00:00:00

Thanks for all your comments on this - since I started this thread I'll give you an update - directly from Cub Cadet's Consumer Product's Correspondant Kelly Morlock:
she first replied:
>The unit will not mow in reverse on its' own. You do not have the disengage the PTO yourself every time you back up. This is a safety feature...." <

My footnote: You don't have to disengage the PTO...it'll do it for you! Then you have to push the knob in...and out again to engage it...

And she follows up with:

I am the Consumer Products Correspondent. This again is a safety feature implemented on our equipment. MTD Products was actually one of the first outdoor power equipment manufacturers to implement this feature and it has been well received overall.

Judging by the comments on this thread, and personal comments I've recieved from folks locally (Including local dealers), her assessment that the feature has been well received is far from being well received.

Like I said, I'll figure out how to bypass the feature, or it'll go back to Lowe's where I bought it.

-Mike

05-08-2002, 13:58 Post: 38318
BillMullens

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

My MTD (Lowes) riding mower does indeed have that feature. Or should I say, did have that feature for about 5 minutes after I discovered it. In my case, the shifter grounds a contact when going into reverse to shut the engine off if the mower deck is running; a single piece of electrical tape took care of it.
Bill

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Cub Cadet Forum

Thread 38204 Filter by Poster:
Art White 4 | BillMullens 1 | Bird Senter 1 | cutter 6 | Dealer 1 | kay 1 | Miike Drudge 1 | Mike Drudge 1 | Murf 1 | Peters 5 | RISKY 1 | RISKY WATERS 2 | Stan 1 | Ted@Abbeywoods, LLC 1 | TomG 3 | treeman 1 |

Most Viewed

+ Cub Cadet yanmar ex3200
+ Cub Cadet 2130 Transmission Trouble
+ Cub Cadet 7274 specifications?
+ Cub Cadet 7205 PTO clutch problem (?)
+ Cub Cadet hydraulic transmission fluid
+ Cub Cadet 2130 mower deck won't engage
+ Cub Cadet 7275
+ New Cadet safety feature is a pain!
+ Cub Cadet 5254 Tractor Review
+ Transmission trouble

Most Discussion