Go Bottom Go Bottom

cub 7235 won t start Wont Turn Over Glow Plugs have no power

View my Photos
Fireman7235
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-12-30          191744

Having a problem. When turning key on, NOTHING happens. Won't even light up dash. Occasionally, lights come on, but as soon as key is turned, it goes black again. Battery is brand new and tested, 12.9 volts. I'm pretty sure battery is not the issue. Safety switches are bypassed...nothing. i have 12V at the ignition, Turning key on voltage drops. i have Checked fuses on front panel,all are good. I pulled the starter and it works. Any help?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
corvettteguy

2014-12-31          191749

Before I suspect anything else I would:
1) Remove bat cables.
2) Wire brush posts and terminals.
Reinstall terminals.

Then put DC Voltmeter on terminals.
Watch meter and turn on lights
See any drop.

Then turn on key and see if any drop
Then depress clutch and start.
Note the drop.
Should only drop a volt or less. ....

View my Photos
chashm

2014-12-31          191750

There's a fuse for everything but the starter motor located in a holder on the left side of the engine; a wire goes from the battery + to the starter then then to this fuse (there's 2 fuses in the holder; one for the main electric and one for the alternator). It's probably on the order of 50 amps.
But judging from your symptoms, it's not a blown fuse but it may be corroded enough to not work.

You may have a corroded connector somewhere along the way from the battery to the key switch. According to the schematic there's a connector between this fuse and the key switch, which I think is behind the dash.

Another test to do is to check to see the battery voltage to ground as you turn the key. The negative should stay at zero (or very close to it) and the positive should stay around 12V. If the negative floats up, the battery cable is not well connected to the frame. If it's ok and the + drops alot, you have a bad battery, no matter how new it is. ....

View my Photos
taogden
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-12-31          191751

"Turning the Key on nothing happens, even dash lights will not light some times do"
"Battery is new", I am assuming you cleaned the posts and cables when you replaced it.
"You have 12 Volts at the ignition", I am sorry here, I don't know what you mean, I thought the 7235 was a diesel and when I think of ignition, I think points coil etc.
"Turning the key on the voltage drops" - You don't say how much, but with only dash lights I would not expect it to go below 12.5 to 12 at the very worst as the lights should only be drawing less than an Amp. Glow plug drop would be a lot more of course maybe as much as 15 amps each and that would taper off over time.
"Fuses are good, Starter works"
The starter solenoid latch up voltage should be good to about 10 volts, 12 giving it the best contact, as the voltage drops there may not be enough energy to even engage the teeth on the fly wheel.

For all you've said, I would be looking at the wiring off the switch to be shorted someplace prior to the fuses but after the switch. About all you can do is trace it out, move the wiring bundle away from the chassis or any panels it passes through or try changing position so it has a new area of contact on the jacket or bundle. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login