Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cub Cadet 7265 gear oil dripping from front left

View my Photos
DANBPA
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-10-16          188143

I see there is gear oil dripping from front left wheel hub. It could be a oil seal. Question for someone who's familar with repair is. If I take that shaft off to get at Oil seal will all oil pour out? Better question maybe How do I replace the oil seal? Sorry guys not a mechanic but I'm willing to get dirty:)
Thank you in advance for your input

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
chashm

2013-10-16          188144

First of all, familiarize yourself with the exploded parts diagrams. You'll find them on partstree.com among other places, as well in the full parts manual from CC. The lube charts in the Owners Manual will show you where the drain plugs are. CC has most manuals online now, although the quality of the scans can be less than wonderful.

I assume you have MFD (mechanical front drive) otherwise there's no oil to drip, just grease!

There are drain plugs on the bottom of each end of the axle (in the center of a plate on the bottom) and one in the center. Pop the fill plug (to let air in) on the top side; it's a rubber plug. There should be about a gallon of oil in the axle. If you haven't changed it in a while, might as well do it as part of the job.

Looking at the parts diagram, it looks like the oil seal is fitted into the hub cover and the shaft/wheel plate passes through it. I --think-- you get this apart by taking the 6 screws that hold the cover to the hub and then take off one or two circlips that hold the bearings and a gear on the shaft, then the shaft should come out of the cover. Keep careful track of the shims on each side of the gear as they were selected to fit your axle.

On the other hand, if the leak isn't particularly fast or objectionable, you can probably live with it for years, just check the oil level occasionally, no? ....

View my Photos
DANBPA

2013-10-17          188151

Will I need any special tools to say remove the existing seal or to re install new seal? ....

View my Photos
chashm

2013-10-18          188152

Hmmm. I haven't had to poke into my front axle, other than to change the oil. There's no guidance on fixing this in the service manual (http://service.mtdproducts.com/Training_Education/772-4207/772-4207.pdf), indicating that it's probably pretty much like any other oil seal.

My guess is you'll need a press of some kind to get the old seal out of the hub housing and to put the new one in. Generally this requires a pin that's close to the outside diameter of the seal and a press plate with a hole to fit the seal to take it out. The seal looks to have a flange on it, so you you press from the inside to remove and press from the outside (probably with no pin needed) to install the new one.

Once you get the hub assembly apart you can probably get either your tractor dealer or a local auto mechanic to put the new seal in for a few bucks - a lot less than hauling the tractor to them and having them repair it.

Consider ordering replacement o-rings for the hub assembly as well as the seal... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login