Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cub Cadet Model 7235 will not start

View my Photos
sec2709
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-05-28          187100

My tractor stopped cranking. Worked fine, stopped and tried to start again, but no go. It fires when I try to start it and I can hear the pump trying to start, but just won't. I've checked battery, cables, electrical currents, etc. but still won't start. Does anyone have any info to assist?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-05-31          187124

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec2709 | view 187100
My tractor stopped cranking.....

Does the starter motor turn the motor over? ....

View my Photos
sec2709

2013-05-31          187126

Yes, Does this model have a glow plug that I've read about? I haven't found one, but not sure where all to look. Just at a loss of what to do next. I can hear the electric pump kick on, just won't start. Cleaned all fuel injector and nothing clogged, etc. Seems to be working fine. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-05-31          187127

I need a little clarification. Your description of the problem is brief and a little confusing.

Even though you say the engine isn't "cranking" I think you actually mean "starting", is this correct?

You also say "you can hear the pump trying to start", what pump?

As a general comment, a Diesel engine is shut off by electrically operated valve that stops fuel flow to the injectors, thus starving the engine. If the wiring to that fuel shutoff solenoid gets a bit of corrosion it won't allow the solenoid to close which means there's no fuel to the engine.

I would suggest you find the wires that go to the fuel pump and be sure they are making good connections.

Best of luck.. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2013-05-31          187135

I believe Murf has it nailed down.

A similar situation happened to me. I discovered that the fuel shut-off solenoid was faulty. The tractor would start, but it wouldn't continue to run. This puzzled the living daylights out of me, until I discovered that the fuel solenoid coil has two separate coils internally.....a start coil and a run coil. The run coil was open.....or broken wire.

Check your fuel shut-off coil's electrical connection. If you see that the plug has three terminal connections, your coil is also dual function.

If you find that the coil is bad, make sure you take the numbers off of it and search for that number on ebay. Most likely you'll find an exact match for 1/10th the price of the dealer's part.

Hope this helps.

Joel ....

View my Photos
sec2709

2013-06-01          187146

Checked all three wires...all in good shape. What else would you suggest? ....

View my Photos
minimac

2013-06-01          187149

replace the coil ....

View my Photos
sec2709

2013-06-05          187240

Uh oh....just found out I have diesel fuel in the oil....does anyone have any other suggestions other than replacing the rings?? ....

View my Photos
greyhorse

2013-06-05          187243

I assume it still does not run right? If you have been cranking it since 5/28/2013 without it running it is quite possible the diesel fuel in the oil is from the fuel that never burned.

I would drain and refill. I wonder if you have a glow plug problem, there is another post on that subject on another Cub Cadet here that I see. ....

View my Photos
sec2709

2013-06-05          187246

had already checked the glow plug...working fine...I'll drain the fuel now .....but...if I understand you, that is still not going to fix the problem of not starting, yes??

btw...thanks much ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2013-06-05          187249

Sec2709,

I'm anxious to get your tractor running for you. I wish I could be there to help you.

I'm still not quite sure I fully understand the problem you're having with your tractor.

Assuming I'm correct.....

Your engine is turning over while attempting to start. The starter is engaging and the engine is cranking.

Your glow plugs are working.

The engine is getting fuel, but not firing.

How long has it been since you last had the tractor running?

How long did it sit since it was last operated?

Was the fuel tank completely full when you last parked it?

Do you see any smoke when attempting to start it? If so, what color is the smoke...white, black, or blue?

If the tractor sat a long time since it was last used, you could have condensation moisture in the fuel tank. Keeping the fuel tank full of diesel will eliminate 99% of this problem.

Do you have any algae growth in your fuel filter bowl? Moisture in the fuel promotes the growth of algae, which will look like green slime. If this is present, you may need to flush your entire fuel system, and then use a product designed to kill the algae.

Have you performed a compression test on each of your engine's cylinders? It's possible that you have stuck or worn piston rings. A compression test is relatively easy to perform.

I hope some of this is useful to you.

Joel ....

View my Photos
hormer1

2013-06-05          187256

My cc 7205 cranked over fine but would not fire. After changing the glow plug module, all is fine. Also, the glowplugs on this machine are on and off very quickly, especially in the warmer weather. Therefore sometimes no voltage will be indicated unless the plugs are drawing . Hope this info helps. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2013-06-06          187264

Have you check to be sure air intake system is clear? No insects or mice nest in there over the winter?

No idea if your tractor in addition to the normal electric cut off has a manual pull (normally) cut off but if so be sure it has not been pulled by accident. ....

View my Photos
sec2709

2013-06-07          187271

ok....psi is showing 65......intake system clean....can't find a manual shutoff .......now what??? Is psi 65 good enough? Spark plugs are good. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2013-06-07          187274

Sec2709,

Now I'm really confused! Spark plugs are good?? I hope you meant "glow plugs".

You state that you have 65 psi. Is this a cylinder compression test reading on a diesel engine? If the test was performed properly, you should see somewhere in the neighborhood of 210-320 psi.

A proper compression test involves placing a test gauge in the glow plug port of each engine cylinder, one cylinder at a time, then turning the engine over at least 5 full revolutions. The pressure gauge should record the highest reading and hold it.

A diesel engine has a compression ratio of about 20-1. Air pressure at sea level is 14.7 psi. Multiply that by 20 to get a close estimate of what your cylinder pressure should be. 15 psi (at sea level) x (a compression ratio) of 20 = 300 psi cylinder pressure.

You must be doing something wrong.

Joel ....

View my Photos
Murf

2013-06-08          187275

Based again on just a few word post, I'd say the 65 psi refers to fuel pressure.

Based on low fuel injection pressure and fuel in the oil, I'd take an educated guess-timate and say pull the fuel injection pump.

It sounds like the diaphragm has got a hole in it.

This would give a spray of fuel into the crankcase and at the same time bleed off enough pressure to prevent the engine from running.

Best of luck.. ....

View my Photos
sec2709

2013-06-08          187276

No, 65 psi NOT fuel compression....engine compression......... ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2013-06-08          187278

Sec2709,

If you're sure that you've performed a proper cylinder compression test, and that this reading of 65 psi is correct........

You didn't mention which cylinders tested this low. I don't believe that all of your cylinders would test this low.

Possible problems here include, but are not limited to....

1. Cracked engine block
2. Cracked head
3. Faulty piston rings
4. worn valves
5. Blown head gasket.

Joel ....

View my Photos
sec2709

2013-06-08          187279

Will retest and let you know.....again....thanks for all this help.... ....

View my Photos
sec2709

2013-06-08          187280

Because I don't have a spec with the diaphragm....do you know where I would find the diaphragm on this model? ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2013-06-08          187282

Sec2709,

You're very short on words. It's difficult to understand what you've done to this point in time.

You didn't by chance install the wrong glow plugs? Is it possible that you installed glow plugs that were too long, causing them to make contact with your pistons?

I'd really like to see a nice long message from you, explaining things in the greatest detail that you're able to provide.

Joel ....

View my Photos
sec2709

2013-06-12          187313

ok...bought the book for model 7235.....appears that the fuel solenoid needs to be replaced. Does anyone know where I can buy this? ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2013-06-12          187315

Sec2709,

I found a picture of your fuel solenoid, but the part number is not listed. Please call for Cub Cadet replacement parts......

1-800-255-4054

Hope this helps.

Joel ....

View my Photos
sec2709

2013-06-12          187316

Joel, I called Cub Cadet and they want a number that begins with the number "1" underneath the seat of the tractor. Naturally, there is not a number of any kind under the seat! Cub Cadet said they had about 20-50 part numbers for this model and need that number supposedly under the seat! Wow! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2013-06-14          187323

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec2709 | view 187316
Cub Cadet said they had about 20-50 part numbers for this model and need that number supposedly under the seat!Wow!

This a dumb question for sure, but .........

Is there no part number on your defective solenoid?

BTW, I'm no parts expert, but I can't believe there'd be 20 - 50 part numbers for anything on a tractor. Any tractor. 2 maybe, but 20? Not a chance.

Someone's blowing sunshine up your skirt.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
sec2709

2013-06-15          187333

Hi, well, I had to go around the world to get the part number off this solenoid, but got it and ordered it....should be in next week. Hopefully, this will correct the starting issue....will keep you advised.

Again, thanks for all your help! ....

View my Photos
sec2709

2013-06-24          187473

ok...purchased and replaced solenoid....didn't fix problem...solenoid not engaging.....any ideas?? ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2013-06-24          187477

The solenoid start coil energizes when the ignition key is turned to the start position. Once the tractor is started and running, the run coil continues to hold the solenoid open.

You should have three wires on the plug end of your solenoid. One of those wires powers the start section of your solenoid coil. Another operates the run section of your coil. The third wire is a ground wire.

With a simple ohm meter, you should quickly be able to determine which wire is the ground. With your negative lead attached to the frame of your tractor, the ground terminal on the plug will cause your meter to read zero (0) ohms.

With the key in the start position, you should have power to one or both of the other wires, depending on the way your coil is wired. With the key in the run position, one of the wires will lose power.

Hope this helps.

Joel

View my Photos
Murf

2013-06-24          187478

If the solenoid is good but not operating that really only leaves two possibilities, one, a bad ground, two, a bad key switch.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
boltboss

2013-07-05          187583

Just a thought here... You didn't by chance run the tractor out of fuel or very low on fuel when it was shut down the last time it was running, did you? The reason I ask is that diesel engines are very difficult to restart if they have been run out of fuel. This is due to the fact that if air gets into the injector pump and/or fuel lines it is compressible and results in no delivery of fuel to the injector nozzles until the air is bled out. If you suspect this is the issue you can bleed the lines by slightly loosening the fuel line nuts at the injectors and cranking the engine until air is bled out. This process also confirms that you are getting fuel to the injectors and if so would discount the injector pump and solenoid valve as sources to your problem.

CAUTION: If you do attempt to bleed the injector fuel lines be sure to wrap a rag around the nut to contain high pressure fuel from squirting out. Also wear gloves and eye protection as contact with high pressure fuel can cause injuries. If you are not very mechanically gifted you may want to solicit the help of someone that is.

Good luck with this and let us know how you make out.

View my Photos
boltboss

2013-07-05          187584

Getting back to the 65 PSI issue for a moment.... If the compression test was done correctly then something is wrong with the engine itself. Is that the reading you get for all cylinders? As pointed out earlier the readings you get should be appreciably higher than 65 PSI. ....

View my Photos
TxJoey

2013-09-20          188005

joel did you get running?I have a 7274 had same problem with fuel shut off by passed it. ....

View my Photos
sec2709

2013-11-14          188329

Hey guys!
Latest on my problem. Took to a dealership..tested, said needed to replace fuel injector pump, Mitsubishi # 30A65-04300. Dealership could not find one in the USA and would have to order from Japan and take 3 months for delivery. Does anyone know where I can get this in the USA? Need to use the tractor now! Again, thanks much! ....

View my Photos
chashm

2013-11-14          188330

You never said how many hours you had on your tractor... Injector pumps don't usually fail; you'd expect one cylinder to go bad before the others, which would be rough running. What exactly did the dealer do to determine that the pump was the problem?

Before you spend $1500 and wait 3 months for a new injector pump, look around for a diesel injector pump repair company. They'll want the pump plus the injectors (and probably the piping in between).
From my research on my fuel problem earlier this year, these pumps are actually Bosch pumps - start at
http://www.bosch-service.com/bs/en/diesel/dieselservice.htm. Bosch has a service network in the US and may even have one for exchange. Call them with ALL the numbers on the pump.
Assuming they (Bosch or whomever) can work on it, order some gasket kits for the injectors and pumps as these should be replaced when you work on these things.
Chas ....

View my Photos
sec2709

2013-11-14          188331

I have no idea how many hours as I purchased used. The Cub Cadet mechanic said the 3rd cylinder was not working and needed to replace the fuel injector pump. ....

View my Photos
chashm

2013-11-14          188332

The injector pump can be repaired. There's pages of detail near the end of the service manual (http://service.mtdproducts.com/Training_Education/772-4207/772-4207.html) and most parts appear to be available (I use www.partstree.com to look parts stuff up). Again, if your dealer isn't up to doing a repair, maybe the Bosch guys are. Some variants of these injector pumps have a per-cylinder adjustment to balance the fuel injected but I don't spot this on the parts diagram; if they did, you definitely want somebody who has the right test stand.

As far as hours, there's an hour meter on the dash (it really counts engine revolutions) - that's how you know when to do the routine service stuff like changing the oil.

Chas ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login