Cub Cadet Fuel in Crankcase: Cub Cadet  -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum and Review Cub Cadet Fuel in Crankcase: Cub Cadet -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Cub Cadet Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 12-29-2008, 10:56 Post: 158900
joepag08

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Cub Cadet Fuel in Crankcase

Cub Cadet 7274 is running good but I've got a slow leak of diesel into the crankcase. The oil level slowly rises, is very thin and smells of diesel. Looking for recommended actions before tearing into it.
Primary I suspect the injection pump. But how likely is it leaking fuel injector? Blowby past the rings would be pitch black, right? What's in there still looks fairly clean/light. Does this tractor have a lift pump? If so, it must not be on the engine block.
If it is the injection pump, can anyone recommend a rebuild service? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Regards,
Joe

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

12-29-2008, 12:35 Post: 158904
auerbach

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Head gaskets rarely leak on new engines, but it's a possibility when the oil level goes up, so see if the coolant level goes down during running. If so, drain the oil and see if there's coolant at the bottom.

12-29-2008, 13:17 Post: 158908
joepag08

Filter by User

I ruled out the coolant already. The coolant level was tip top and I drained the crankcase. Definately no water. Whatever it is, it is thoroughly mixed with the oil. BTW, the tractor is about 12 years old (1100 hrs or so).

Thanks,
Joe

12-29-2008, 13:43 Post: 158909
candoarms

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Good afternoon, Joe.

I think you've nailed down the problem. The diesel fuel in your oil is likely coming from the injection pump, as it is attached to the engine block, and is driven by engine gears. This would be the most likely source of the problem.

All of this depends on the issue of engine performance. If your engine is running normally, we can likely rule out bad fuel injectors, worn rings, or any other internal engine problems.

I assume you're not using excessive amounts of engine oil, running low on engine power, or noticing any excessive smoke from the exhaust pipe. If this is the case, the diesel fuel in the oil is likely coming from the injector pump.

Being that I live a very long way from you, I wouldn't be able to provide you with the name of a quality repair shop in your area. However, most any auto repair shop would be able to point you in the direction of a dependable shop for which to take your injection pump for a quality rebuild.

Joel

12-29-2008, 14:01 Post: 158910
greg_g

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

That's the 3 cylinder Mitsubishi engine, right? I'm having a hard time accepting leakage through the injection pump drive gears. First, you'd have to have multiple simultaneous seal failures to make a path available into the crankcase. The pump itself has a seal on each piston, then there's the oil seal between the pump and the drive gears, then there's the oil seal between the drive gears and the engine sump. And if the injection pump has it's own lube sump, I'd expect to see diesel fuel in the IP sump too. Then the gear case would have to be at least half full of fuel before it even got to a level where it would leak into the engine sump.

I mean - all this could I suppose be possible - but figure the odds of it all happening at the same time. I'd be more inclined to open the cover on the IP drive gear case and check for fuel. When none drains out, suspect a dripping injector.

Given the info presented this far, I'm more inclined to suspect gravity letting fuel leak past worn rings in a cold engine after it's been shut down for the day. It might have been starting harder than usual for a while, diesel fuel setting on top of a piston head is hard for the starter to compress. And the exhaust smoke upon starting may be taking a little longer each day to go away. But operating heat makes the rings seal better - the tractor probably looked and worked ok after it was warmed up - so you probably had no cause to suspect what else was going on.

//greg//

12-29-2008, 14:50 Post: 158914
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I'm willing to bet the tractor has to crank a lot more before it starts since this problem arose too right?

It has been my experience that the injectors themselves give up and leak long before any other part of the system.

When this happens the injectors bleed down after shut off and the diesel being as thin as it is seeps past the rings and into the crankcase.

Best of luck.

12-29-2008, 19:24 Post: 158921
joepag08

Filter by User

Yup. 3 cyc mitsu. I'm not an expert so your description of the pump seals is helpful. I should try to open the cover to see if there is fuel laying in there. I have not noticed a significant difficulty with starting cold. In colder weather it starts a little harder but thats normal. Get a puff at startup but not a cloud.

I check the oil each time I use it and it only goes up a little. However, I first discovered this when I was not checking regularly and I thought I had a runaway but it shut down. I pulled the dipstick and there was so much liquid, it was a small geyser spurting out the tube hole. Drained a huge quantity. That seem like a lot for injectors or rings.

I know pump rebuild is in the $300-$400 range. Ring job even more. Would replacing injectors be cheaper? Don't think I want to tackle the pump myself but are there replaceable seals on the injectors? Maybe I could try that first?

12-29-2008, 20:01 Post: 158922
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

errr? $300-400 for an injector pump rebuild? That seems waaaay too low--like double or triple perhaps. I'm jis' sayin'

12-29-2008, 22:45 Post: 158923
greg_g

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Your problem may only be coming from one injector. I'd start there.

If yours is the glow plug engine, remove all three glow plugs (being careful to keep track of the sealing washers). Disconnect the low pressure line between the fuel filter and the injection pump (so you're not cranking pressurized fuel up the hard lines).

Crank the engine with the starter - don't use the compression release. If cylinder compression blows more fuel out of one injector hole, you have found which cylinder has the fuel lying on top of the piston. That's the dripping injector. If there is no difference among the three, that complicates things. Either a leaking injector isn't the problem at all, or they may all three have started to leak.

//greg//

12-30-2008, 07:34 Post: 158926
kthompson

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I am not a diesel mechanic but wondering here:
Is it only the fuel between the injector pump and the injector that can leak or can fuel come through the injector pump or any of the return tubing, just due to gravity, giving the fuel tank as a supply to leak while the engine is off?

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Cub Cadet Forum

Thread 158900 Filter by Poster:
auerbach 1 | candoarms 1 | earthwrks 3 | greg_g 4 | joepag08 5 | kthompson 4 | Murf 3 |

Most Viewed

+ Cub Cadet yanmar ex3200
+ Cub Cadet 2130 Transmission Trouble
+ Cub Cadet 7274 specifications?
+ Cub Cadet 7205 PTO clutch problem (?)
+ Cub Cadet hydraulic transmission fluid
+ Cub Cadet 2130 mower deck won't engage
+ Cub Cadet 7275
+ New Cadet safety feature is a pain!
+ Cub Cadet 5254 Tractor Review
+ Transmission trouble

Most Discussion