Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cub Cadet RER engine stalling - need help

View my Photos
croberts26
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-05-04          153432

Greetings:

I have a 1984 Cub Cadet 802 RER with a Briggs and Stratton engine that has started stalling out after running for about 30 minutes. I cleaned the air and gas filters with no luck. I cleaned out the fuel tank and some rope-like material fell out. Is there a filter inside the tank? Engine runs like a top when cold. I am puzzled and seem to have run out of options.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-05-04          153433

Just get yourself a B&S service manual, widely available and not costly. There's a 100 different B&S engines, but they're pretty similar.

There's likely an in-tank fuel filter that I'd change, but that wouldn't explain why the problem waits for a half hour. Next time, just try filling the tank (to see if it needs the pressure of a full tank to get the fuel through). ....

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-05-04          153435

Croberts26,

There are a few things to consider here. First off, as the engine warms up the internal dimensions change just slightly, due to the metal expanding. This could be just enough to restrict the amount of fuel getting by the needle valve in the carb. I'm guessing that the needle valve is in need of cleaning, and then a proper adjustment.

Another issue to consider is whether or not your engine dies when under a load. If so, this is usually caused by a faulty spark plug. Under normal operation, the gasoline in the cylinder produces just a bit of resistance in the spark gap. The more gasoline in the air mixture, the higher the resistance to the spark. (This is what causes pinging in a auto engine when going uphill.) Under a load, the higher gasoline mixture may be just too much for the spark to jump the gap.

To correct this problem, it is necessary to clean and adjust the spark plug gap to standards. I'm guessing that the gap is just a fraction of inch too large, or that some soot has built up on the spark plug, increasing the resistance just slightly.

Due to the age of your engine, I would be highly suspicious of the needle valve in the carb.

Joel ....

View my Photos
croberts26
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-05-06          153505

I will try the full tank this weekend.

As far as the needle valve, will the B & S manual show how to clean it? I have never taken this kind of carburetor apart before but do not suspect that it will be difficult.

Thanks to both replies.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login