Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cub Cadet Model 124 Help hard start

View my Photos
kjkny2000
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-03-29          152548

Hey guys! Just joined the forum, just bought a 60's model Cub Cadet 124, 12hp. Getting good spark. Points are ok. Starter key does move amperage guage when first clicked on, nor engage starter motor. Engine will start by hot wiring solenoid over to battery, when hot wire is disconnected, engine will run rough for a few minutes, then cut out. I rebuilt carb, and need correct settings for top and side screws. Been reading about break or seat bypass switch. Does this model have either? What is the correct way to start this baby? I think the tractor will serve my gang mower well.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Cub Cadet Model 124 Help hard start

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-03-30          152592

Kjkny2000,

I doubt that there would be many safety switches in a Cub Cadet made in the 1960s. However, there may be a neutral safety switch, or a clutch safety switch.

You might want to check to see if you can find a safety switch on the transmission shifter, or on the clutch pedal. Either one, or both, would prevent the tractor from turning over. Fortunately, these switches are easy to check for proper operation. A simple Ohm Meter is all you'll need for that.

Can't help you with the carb screw settings. I have no idea which carb you've got. If you have the numbers off of the carb, I might be able to find you something.

Joel

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login