Go Bottom Go Bottom

PLUG ~~~ UGH

View my Photos
lbrown59
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-04-12          141272

How do you guys get to the engine oil plug to turn it on and off to drain the oil?

I had a heck of a time getting to it.

Anything besides taking a Saws All & cutting a big hole in the hood side panel so you can reach in there and grab it?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

PLUG ~~~ UGH

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-13          141279

My maintenance guy has a trick.

With every new machines first oil change, he installs a short piece of black pipe into the drain plug hole. He uses a piece just long enough to reach out past the frame by a little bit, then puts a threaded over the pipe end onto which a nut has been welded to aid in removing and reinstalling it for the each oil change. He also brazes a little tab onto the side of the pipe after it is properly snugged in place to allow it to be fastened to the frame to prevent the pipe from moving from installing the cap or vibration.

This makes oil changes a snap. Since the cap is out in ancessible location, there is no fighting, and the extension means the oil runs into the drain pan, not all over the machine.

Best of luck. ....

PLUG ~~~ UGH

View my Photos
lbrown59
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-04-13          141282

With every new machines first oil change, he installs a short piece of black pipe into the drain plug hole. He uses a piece just long enough to reach out past the frame by a little bit, then puts a threaded over the pipe end onto which a nut has been welded to aid in removing and reinstalling it for the each oil change. He also brazes a little tab onto the side of the pipe after it is properly snugged in place to allow it to be fastened to the frame to prevent the pipe from moving from installing the cap or vibration

Murf

======
This is a good idea but it wouldn't work on my 2554 because the frame is higher than the drain plug hole.Any pipe would hit the frame instead of clearing it.

My MTD powerCraft has a pipe similar to what you're talking about but the frame is low enough that the pipe extends out over it.

PLUG ~~~ UGH

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-13          141284

"Any pipe would hit the frame instead of clearing it."

Got a drill? ....

PLUG ~~~ UGH

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-04-13          141285

I have a flexible rubber hydraulic hose coming out of my Cadet 1862 & 1864 blocks with a swivel at the block that I thought was from the factory. Got both tractors used but they have the identical setup. When you are done, they rotate up and lay real nice inside the frame. In my older models 782's, it is not a problem to get at them.

So, deep sockets, regular sockets nor a box wrench fit? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login