Need A Tractor!: Chinese Tractors -- Other  -- Chinese Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Need A Tractor!: Chinese Tractors -- Other -- Chinese Tractors Discussion Forum

discussion   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   photos   |   email   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Chinese Tractors -- Other Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 10-28-2004, 18:04 Post: 99428
flemdog

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 Need A Tractor!

New user, rookie tractor buyer, not sure I'm in the right spot to post this, but here goes:
I own a 9 acre tract that is residential and has horses. Wide open space, so the 'ol 46" Murray ain't an option. My friends told me to find an old Ford 3000 and buy one for 3-4K, which turns out to be a pipe dream unless you want to replace everything. I want a tractor that has around 35-40 horsepower, and is dependable. Will use it for primarily bushhogging, with some deer plots being disked up, etc. I've been looking at Mahindras (3525). Don't want 25K invested in a tractor. Hear spotty info on Yanmar, generally less than glowing reviews, but have noted that John Deere uses their engines(?). Can anyone tell me where to get an independent comparison of brands? Mahindra, Kioti, Kubota have all been mentioned, but Kubota seems proud of their stuff. Any input will be appreciated.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

10-28-2004, 18:23 Post: 99429
DRankin

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Need A Tractor!

Deere owns Yanmar.

There are no tractors produced under that name anymore that I know of and most of the Yanmars that are here now seem to be gray market machines with questionable histories and spotty parts availability.

That said, Yanmar produces engines and entire tractors for John Deere. Deere's 2210, 4010, 4110, 4115, 790 and 990 tractors are built in Japan and have an excellent reputation for quality.

10-28-2004, 19:39 Post: 99432
BrendonN

Filter by User
 Need A Tractor!

Basically, a Yanmar with a four digit model number is a gray market machine. There are some around with a three digit number and these were US-spec models sold in the '80s.

There are a lot of older tractors around with that would sell for around $5000. Don't expect extras like 4WD, though. And the safety of the older stuff isn't as good (no ROPS, seatbelts, starter interlocks, etc). But don't cut them short; I use a '48 model John Deere M a lot around my place. And models like this will only increase in value given proper care. Can't say that for off-brand imports from China or Korea.

10-28-2004, 22:24 Post: 99442
greg_g

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Need A Tractor!

That's a bit insulting to those of us who actually own and even LIKE our Chinese tractors. This new breed of Chinese tractors hasn't been on the American market long enough to even ESTABLISH a resale/trade value.

I've never stepped on your toes Brendon, please respect mine. Perhaps this thread would be more appropriately located at http://tractorpoint.com/cgi-bin/tractor/newPost.pl?category=SZ&catname=Size%20Tractor%20Needed.

//greg//

10-28-2004, 23:21 Post: 99443
davidbenes

Need A Tractor!

You want a low cost tractor built for the US market? Take a look at Lenar. Chinese tractors designed for export to the US. I will be buying one next spring. My local dealer quoted me $14,500 for the 254 model (25 hp) with a front loader and a Bush Hog style mower. Parts availability is very good and parts prices are comparable to Deere or Case etc. ISO 9001 certified manufacturing. Lenar makes a 28 hp tractor but the 25 hp model has quite a bit more torque. Contact me if you have any questions I have done my research. Very impressive to this 23 yr old farmer.

10-29-2004, 05:28 Post: 99449
grinder

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Need A Tractor!

I have never been able to find that independant comparision
on tractors. I looked for a long time. If you find one please post.
I have looked at most tractors made from a purchase point of view.
I think I would looked for a low hr.New Holland, JD, or Kubota as I see alot of people buy them and don't really put to many hrs. on them. I would want something I could easily sell if I wanted something different.
I will include some prices locally advertised for your comparision.
New Kubota L3400(34hp.)$15,590,New, New Holland TC35s4 $18,590 JD 790 $16,500(27hp)
Good luck
Think resale.
He asked for any imput.
I am not going to rehash this old arguement so save your time.

10-29-2004, 05:48 Post: 99450
BrendonN

Filter by User
 Need A Tractor!

Sorry for the offense, greg_g. I wasn't trying to imply that these tractors are not good machines. I was just suggesting that the long-term resale value may not be as good as a tractor with a widely-known brand name.

10-29-2004, 06:47 Post: 99457
greg_g

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Need A Tractor!

FWIW, I got my investments back on two Chinese tractors bought new ($5600 and $7000) that I subsequently sold/traded. Through no fault of the tractors, neither was the "right tool for the job". More like the owner (me) didn't know exactly which tool to pick. The first one returned exactly what I paid for it, the second one earned me an $1800 profit.

By comparison, let's take Grinder's JD790 (above). I'd be surprised to find it a couple years later going for a used $18,300.

//greg//

10-29-2004, 08:16 Post: 99460
greg_g

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Need A Tractor!

Flemdog

My experience with Yanmars - those made for the US market - has been excellent. But as mentioned above, you MUST be able to differentiate between a US-spec Yanmar and a grey market Yanmar. From the offerings I've seen in this part of the country, I personally would never buy a grey market tractor - of any manufacture.

My current workhorse is a KAMA (Chinese). But 45hp is probably more than you're looking for. And it needs one acre to turn around in, all by itself. The smaller sibling in that stable is their TaiShan (http://www.artrac.com/Kamatractors.html), which comes in 25 and 35 hp flavors.

//greg//

10-29-2004, 12:18 Post: 99469
chipuren

Need A Tractor!

A Chinese tractor of 25HP with US made loader and 5' brush mower should sell in the $ 9-10,500 area. If you are going to pay more, in addition to grinder's suggestions, you might check out Kioti and Farmtrac. Kioti CK25 with loader and a 5' brush mower OR Farmtrac 270DTC 27HP at about the same price and both have synchro shuttle and a choice of tires.

Now that is not to say I don't think the Chinese tractor has a viable place in the market, in fact we sell many times more of them than the other brands I mention, but it is a price issue, a New Chinese tractor with widespread parts support can be an excellent alternative to used, especially gray market, tractors.

Kioti is hardly an "off brand" anymore and I look for LG/Farmtrac (formerly Long Agribusiness) to make strong gains in the market over the next couple years. KOrea is strong in offering top quality at very competitive price, China for providing acceptable quality at lowest cost.

I think that it will get more and more difficult to define "big three" no question this is a very fragmented market with lots of opportunites for the buyer.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Chinese Tractors -- Other Forum

Thread 99428 Filter by Poster:
BrendonN 2 | Carlos11 1 | chipuren 1 | davidbenes 1 | DRankin 1 | flemdog 1 | FullPull 1 | greg_g 3 | grinder 1 | Iowafun 1 | JINMA224 1 | praha4752 1 |

Most Viewed

+ FOTON TRACTORS
+ some info on lenar tractors.
+ The truth about Lenar
+ Foton 404 Good or BAD
+ Branson Tractors
+ Rural King Tractors
+ FOTON TRACTORS
+ DongFeng DF-Bulldog 38hp vs Kama 35hp
+ Tytan Tractor Revew
+ Terraplane tractors

Most Discussion