Foton 404 Good or BAD: Chinese Tractors -- Other  -- Chinese Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Foton 404 Good or BAD: Chinese Tractors -- Other -- Chinese Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Chinese Tractors -- Other Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 04-12-2007, 08:56 Post: 141257
wagonertim

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Foton 404 Good or BAD

I have a 404 Foton 40 hp 4X4 with only 103.5 hours on the thing and the fuel injector pump went south. Has anyone had any experiences with these tractors. I was in the process of prepping a field to sow alfalfa hay when this happened. What a pain in the butt. I am trying to decide if I should keep this thing or get something else. The engine has never seemed like it could provide the power that it should. Could this had been due to a defected pump that finally just broke. Also haw reliable are these tractors.
If you have any experiences that are good or bad of true farm ( hard pulling or lifting) work with these tractors from Rural King please let me know.
Thanks
Tim
My e-mail is wagoh58d at yahoo.com

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

04-12-2007, 09:19 Post: 141261
greg_g

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Foton 404 Good or BAD

First - what's made you convinced that it's the injection pump? There are a lot of potential bottlenecks in the fuel delivery system that could impede fuel flow.

Second, has your warranty period expired?

Third - my experience with Rural King and Chinese tractors is that the merchandise is good value for the money, but the service-after-sale sucks.

//greg//

04-12-2007, 09:26 Post: 141262
wagonertim

Filter by User
 Foton 404 Good or BAD

I was on the phone with a mechanic and he walked me through what to do. At the end of the checks he had me do it was the pump.

04-12-2007, 10:09 Post: 141265
greg_g

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Foton 404 Good or BAD

Well, forgive me if my faith in Rural King "techs" is low. Back when they were selling Jinmas, RK service after sale was wholly unimpressive. At that time, they were turning a blind eye to the fact that certified diesel mechanics simply won't work for minimum wage. The same guy that put together the lawn mowers and weedeaters got the job of assembling and servicing Jinmas. In my case they screwed up the electrical system on the first tractor I bought, to the extent that it actually had to be replaced with another tractor. They then proceded to mess up the driveline and hydraulics on that one up so bad - I simply escalated the matter until obtaining a full refund. It's why I'm now a KAMA owner. The brand of tractor however, has nothing to do with RK's ability to competently troubleshoot and repair diesel tractors.

If you don't mind, would you elaborate on that telephone troubleshooting session? If they actually employ certified diesel mechanics now, I'll be glad to eat my words.

//greg//

04-12-2007, 15:01 Post: 141268
wagonertim

Filter by User
 Foton 404 Good or BAD

Sure

the first thing he told me is that he bet it was the line that comes from the filter to the pump. I loosened the line and primed it with the primmer pump fuel came out. Loosened the line on the other side( bypass) good this removed the chance of a clogged screen cracked the nut where the injector lines hook to the pump cranked the engine. no fuel. went back and checked the fuel shutoff valve where to ensure the lever was not slipping on the shaft. then removed the injector line nuts that hold the lines on to the pump all the way to see if any fuel came out at all when cranking. out of the back line attachment point fuel (while cranking the engine) finally made a very small trickle. the other two would not let any fuel come out at all. just got back from RK and picked up the new pump. Well we will see what happens.

04-12-2007, 20:17 Post: 141273
greg_g

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Foton 404 Good or BAD

I'll admit, that's better advice out of RK than I've ever heard/read about, better even than actual hands-on troubleshooting I've witnessed at several RK stores. But are you sure the fuel filter is actually full? It's possible to get a false impression of fuel at the input to the injection pump, just from air the hand primer can push through the filter housing. The quality of the flexible fuel lines in these tractors is not impressive. It's not uncommon for that flaps inside a deteriorating rubber line to be temporarily forced open by the hand pump, but block actual fuel flow during normal gravity feed or fuel pump pressure. At lesat one of the banjo connectors should have an inline screen as well. Debris collects against the screen blocking normal flow, but can sometimes be blown past with the hand primer.

I'd have advised the troubleshooting to start way back at the strainer in the fuel tank, eliminating segment by segment in the direction of the fuel flow. Your telephone tech hit rounded up all the usual suspects, but did not in fact walk you through a comprehensive and sequential series of checks.

That said, I hope the new pump fixes your problem.

//greg//

04-13-2007, 10:09 Post: 141280
wagonertim

Filter by User
 Foton 404 Good or BAD

I got the new pump on and it pumped fuel as it should. The mechanic I spoke with on the phone was going to come up and fix it. But his wife went into labor the day he was to do so. The had a baby girl who came early. Now with all that said. I put the pump on but here is the bad part. I believe I must have let the gear that the tapered shaft fits into jump a tooth. The acceleration is slow and when you go to drive off it almost dies and does not regain its rpm’s That sucks. I ran out of day light yesterday and am heading out this morning to see if the slots on the pump will let me adjust it out. Then I will be off to work for a three days. It may have to wait until Monday night.

Tim

04-14-2007, 11:21 Post: 141303
greg_g

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Foton 404 Good or BAD

Either the new pump didn't fix your issue, or it's a timing problem. Unlike gasoline engines where timing is a matter of adjusting spark delivery, on diesel engines you time the fuel delivery. This is done at the pump itself. So perhaps it's best for you to wait on the RK guy to catch up on his family duties.

//greg//

06-06-2008, 21:03 Post: 154342
ft254a

Foton 404 Good or BAD

I am trading my 254a for a 404, because I am moving up from a 50 parcel, which I mowed last year with a 5' bush hog to a 9' bar mower to accomodate a 20 acre increase in the contract. 5' a round on 70 acres is discouraging. So the 404 will better serve me. I have been using the 254 with the 9' mower, but it is too much (although a testimony to the the ruggedness of this tractor). I have no qualms with staying with the Foton brand since the 254 has been a good investment. It has been a crescent wrench/screwdriver tractor, but I have an excellent service dealer. If you have seen Mayer Farm Implement posting on the web, pay heed. These guys a good.

I have been told parts availability for the Foton is much better than Nortrac, Farm Pro, Jimna.

01-25-2010, 06:48 Post: 168215
colemanmd

Filter by User
 Foton 404 Good or BAD

My foton 404 has been a pain in the but. Solved most problems, loose connections to starter and battery ground, however for the past two years, tractor starts ok(most of the time) but then after running for10-15 minutes slows down and stops! It seems to be "running out of fuel". I have changed filters, emptied tank and removed hoses, changed hoses, added a 12 volt aux pump and then I thought I had solved the problem but alas after 12 minutes it slowed down and stopped. I was just about to order a fuel inj pump when I saw your post! My tractor has less than 20 hours on it as it is used mostly in the summer to bushhog 5-6 acres. Have you figured anything out or did you drive it to the land fill. Cliff

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Chinese Tractors -- Other Forum

Thread 141257 Filter by Poster:
colemanmd 2 | Freightflyer 1 | ft254a 1 | greg_g 6 | susan_s 1 | wagonertim 4 | yocsr1 1 | yozzause2015 1 |

Most Viewed

+ FOTON TRACTOR Review
+ FOTON TRACTORS
+ some info on lenar tractors.
+ The truth about Lenar
+ Foton 404 Good or BAD
+ Rural King Tractors
+ Branson Tractors
+ DongFeng DF-Bulldog 38hp vs Kama 35hp
+ KAMA and Tai Shan Tractors
+ Tytan Tractor Revew

Most Discussion