Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cat DH4 blade lift cylinder rod end nut torque spec

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-30          131604

My buddy and I are working on his mid-late '90's DH4 that has a leaking lift cylinder. I was going to help him take it apart but his mechanic friend told him that the rod end nut for the piston requires an impact wrench to remove it. Supposedly it takes at least 1200 lb. ft. of torque to remove it---does that sound right? I rebuilt my backhoe cylinder with a wrench and no breaker bars. Any input appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-30          131606

Sounds strange to me but there's a lot I don't know. To get that much torque you'd probably need a 1" drive impact wrench. How big is the cylinder? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-07-01          131611

The cylinder is about 5-6" diameter and maybe 24-28" long.
Hi mechanic buddy told him he had to buy a $2400 impact to remove one for another guy so don't even mess with it. I can't imagine a nut that probably is maybe 2-1/2" needing a wrench that big. All it does is hold the piston on the rod.

Oneace (Tony) are you there? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-07-01          131612

The cylinder is about 5-6" diameter and maybe 24-28" long.
Hi mechanic buddy told him he had to buy a $2400 impact to remove one for another guy so don't even mess with it. I can't imagine a nut that probably is maybe 2-1/2" needing a wrench that big. All it does is hold the piston on the rod.

Oneace (Tony) are you there? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-01          131613

A brand new 1" drive Ingersoll Rand impact wrench that will do 1400 ft lbs of torque costs less than $500 at Northern Tool. Onceace has his pm feature enabled so you could try sending him private mail. ....

View my Photos
dirthog
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-07-04          131685

not postive for that cyl but excavator cyls the same size we rebuild are a lot higher than that smaller dozer cyl we do are also more than that ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login