Power take off issue: Field Mowers Brush Cutters  -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum and Review Power take off issue: Field Mowers Brush Cutters -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum

discussion   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   photos   |   email   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Field Mowers Brush Cutters Forum

Page [ 1 ] |
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 07-31-2008, 22:17 Post: 155729
brokenarrow

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Power take off issue

Hey ya'll, I own the Woods 72" brush mower. I trashed the (Tractor side) half of the power take off drive shaft. The u-joint is fine bust I bent the shaft and trashed the end that holds the u-joint soooo. The question is, I ordered a new shaft from farm and fleet today (stupid me) I told them I had a King Kutter 6 footer! (Yes I am stupid) I think they may all use the same style shaft now a day? Round with oblong nipple like ribs down opposit side's of shaft> Am I right? Will a power take off drive shaft from a KK work on a woods?
Second part.
I then tried to straighten my shaft that was bent. Laughing out loud Nice one! So anyway, since that did not work I then heated it and tried it in a press again. Whala. I got it close, but not perfet. At 640 rpm, it runs out a bit but NOT wildly. How much do you think it NEEDS to be perfect straight? I would think it needs to be perfect? Would do you say?
thanks for your input, PS. The store I ordered it from said I had to order the WHOLE thing! To the tune of $175! This comes with a new plastic shroud and all except the u-joint? Bad or good?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

07-31-2008, 23:23 Post: 155731
greg_g

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Power take off issue

Vibration is one problem of trying to straighten PTO sections. But of more concern is the fact that it will no longer completely collapse and extend properly. That will likely cause you more trouble down the road than will the vibration.

But you don't need to buy a whole shaft. You can buy just the tractor half - three sided shafts are reasonably universal. But you can even buy just the shaft part itself, and use your old U-joint/cover/shroud. You can get just about any PTO repair part - or combination of parts - you want from AgriSupply. Here's an example of an external section (see below). All you have to do is weld the U-joint to one end, then cut the other end to fit.

//greg//

Link:   Replacement External Shaft 

08-01-2008, 21:34 Post: 155748
brokenarrow

Filter by User
 Power take off issue

Thanks for the pic. I worked a bit more on it today and decided to cut it into a shorter version (which may work for a spare on my 6' tiller. I have a woods and it came with a 2 sided shaft. This shaft style I have not been able to find yet (online). I still can not beleive I was this stupid! Ya ever get the feeling like something aint right BUT you continue doin what your up to anyway? This is the feeling I had when I was brain dead.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] |

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Field Mowers Brush Cutters Forum

Thread 155729 Filter by Poster:
brokenarrow 2 | greg_g 1 |

Most Viewed

+ 48 Woods vs. Bushhog Squealer vs. King Kutter??
+ Rhino vs Bush Hog cutter
+ 6ft Kodiak cutter
+ Disk Mower vs. Flail Mower vs. Sickle Bar Mower
+ Bush Hog - Woods - Land Pride???
+ Rotary Cutter or Flail Mower?
+ Roof Field Mower Parts
+ WHat to charge for bush hogging
+ Bush Hog vs. Woods rotary cutters
+ Side cutter for ditches and ponds

Most Discussion

+ My Cutter Ain't Level
+ WHat to charge for bush hoggin