Go Bottom Go Bottom

Groomig mower for an older tractor

View my Photos
rbz01
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-03-15          25536

I have just bought a Ferguson, 1957 MF-35. It is approximately 20 hp, although it has a 4 cylinder gas engine, and appears more powerful than that. It runs beautifully. It has a standard 3 point hitch, but does not have a live pto. I would like to get a rear discharge 60 inch finishing mower. Does anyone have any experience using a finishing mower with an older tractor. I would appreciate any advice from you experts. Thanks!Rich

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kay

2001-03-15          25541

No good reason why it won't work. Just get an over-running clutch for your PTO output, and you will not have a problem stopping and braking the tractor (this clutch allows the mower drive train to coast to a stop whenever the tractor stops, otherwise everything will have to stop together). Adjust your mowing speed (gear-range) to allow the hp of your tractor to maintain PTO rpm. My personal experience is with a two cylinder JD 420 (1958) and it handled a rear 60" 3 pt mower with ease and at whatever ground speed I wished (and could tolerate on the seat). Hopefully your MF tractor has 3 pt lift that will hold its position, and is not the "either all the way up or all the way down" variety as my old Ferguson TO 30 used to be. That would not work well with a 3 pt rear finishing mower. I hope this helps. ....

View my Photos
rbz01

2001-03-15          25542

I have no idea how my post got in this category, I will try to re-post it in the proper location. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login