Go Bottom Go Bottom

Overheating of old tractor

View my Photos
MarkOsborne
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-01-05          176233

I am having trouble with overheating. I have removed the thermostat and this has helped but not fixed the problem.

It is a Belarus 90HP (an old one)

The water is pouring out from under the radiator cap

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-01-05          176237

MarkOsborne,

There are two possibilities regarding your overheating problem.

The most common problem is the radiator cap, itself. It's very possible that your radiator cap is faulty. Start with replacing the radiator cap. It's cheap enough, and it may solve the problem entirely.

Radiator caps are designed to maintain a small amount of pressure on the cooling system. If the cap fails, the coolant will quickly boil.

You could also have a blown head gasket. High pressure exhaust gasses can then escape by the head gasket and enter the cooling system. You'll know if you have a blown head gasket immediately after replacing the radiator cap.

Stop in if you need further help.

Joel ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-01-06          176244

Mark,
you may also want to check: clogged air filter, clogged radiator both air flow and water flow, pump not work fully, clogged or bottom radiator hose that collapses, slipping pump and fan belt. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-01-06          176248

Could also be improper coolant, such as plain water.

Or a clog in the system. Best to have the rad and block power-flushed at a rad shop, but you could try this:

Put quality cooling-system cleaner in the rad. After a few hours of running you'll have to get it all out, by draining just the rad (unless yours has a block drain too). So that requires several drain-refill-run cycles. ....

View my Photos
MarkOsborne
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-01-07          176262

Had it fixed today. Looks like it was a mix of things, clogged radiator, poor quality coolant and the thermostat had been removed. All is well now, although I will find out tomorrow when I commence slashing.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Cheers

Mark

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login