Go Bottom Go Bottom

Belarus exhaust oil leak

View my Photos
rancher862003
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-11-25          148721

I recently bought a Belarus 825 that has developed a oil leak out the exhaust on the #1 cylinder. The tractor has 1428 hours. The engine runs smoothly without smoking so I am a little confused where the oil would be coming from but haven't tore it apart yet. I am not sure where to start at.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Belarus exhaust oil leak

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-25          148723

Rancher862003,

If you're sure the oil is coming out of the exhaust, you have two possibilities. The oil could be getting by the piston rings, or may be leaking from around the valve stem guides.

If you perform a compression test on the culprit cylinder, you should quickly be able to tell where to start.

If the culprit cylinder fails a compression test, don't immediately assume that you have bad rings. You'll need to eliminate the possibility of having a faulty intake or exhaust valve, first. Listen for any leaking air while doing the compression test. If you hear air leaking from the air cleaner, your intake valve is leaking. If you hear air escaping through the exhaust, you'll know that you have a faulty exhaust valve. Any air that leaks through the crankcase breather vent is a sure sign of faulty piston rings.

If your cylinder passes the compression test, I'd be left to assume that the oil is coming from a badly worn valve guide, or guides.

At any rate, start with a cylinder compression test. This will lead you in the proper direction.

If you have any questions after performing this test, please stop back. We'll do our best to help you solve this problem.

Joel ....

Belarus exhaust oil leak

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-25          148725

A diesel with oil in the combustion chamber doesn't act the same as a gas engine as far as percieved downgraded performance.

If you remove the oil filler cap, is there oil spurting from it too?

I had a Perkins 4-cylinder that ran fine but smoked white-ish grey smoke greatly until it warmed up then it truned slightly blueish grey. After about a year of use eventually the smoking stayed blueinsh white somewhat even after warming up. Then it began sputtering oil out the the oil filler, and the exhaust until it was spitting out a guart an hour.

My buddy tore it down and found a piston ring(s) on one piston was broken.

If you catch it in time, you may find it's a just a broken ring--or a valve guide(s) like Joel suggested.

Let it go, and you might end up with verrry costly repairs. ....

Belarus exhaust oil leak

View my Photos
greg_g

2007-11-26          148733

Not saying this is your problem, but one of my (diesel) tractors had raw oil spurting out where the vertical muffler inlet clamps to the 90 degree exhaust elbow. Compression across all four cylinders equally low. No overt indications of valve/guide/ring issues. Oil and water were apparently being mixed because of a soggy head gasket, the excess of which was being blown out during compression strokes. Replaced the head gasket, exhaust is now clean and dry.

But if you find it necessary pull the cylinder head to confirm/eliminate the other issues suggested, replacing the head gasket will likely ensue anyway - as a matter of good practice during reassembly.

//greg// ....

Belarus exhaust oil leak

View my Photos
Art White

2007-11-26          148751

Let me throw you all a loop! We often see farm tractors and a few compacts that the thermostats are bad in and unless used under full load never get up to temperature. I know, the cooling system is working good if it's not overheating but the problem is that diesels need heat to run right! By not running an engine up to temp they will normally get what we call exhaust slobber. This is partially burnt fuel that doesn't make it past the rings to contaminate the oil in the engine(it actually thickens it) but is blown out the exhaust. It could also be from a leaky injector but most of the time we just see older tractors running way to cool and not burning all of the fuel throwing out the exhaust system. ....

Belarus exhaust oil leak

View my Photos
rancher862003
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-12-08          149079

I would like to thank everyone that posted suggestions about my issue. Good news my issue was just a bad injector that was injecting streams of fuel instead of atomizing it. Put new tips on all the injectors and had the pop off pressure reset and I am back in business. I love both of my Belarus tractors and they are built for easy repair. Most oil leaks (seeps) can be fixed easy with the correct O-ring or snugging up a hose clamp. :) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login