Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota RTV 900-sticks in reverse

View my Photos
ampebob
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-10-20          98794

My new 900 was delivered last week. Generally I am very impressed with the machine. I have one problem, after backing up any small hill, the unit sticks in reverse. I have tried turning the steering wheel, letting off the brake and so on. Still remains firmly in gear.
Does anyone know if this is problem associated with the machine being new or Is there some adjustment I need to make?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-20          98807

Mine was real stiff like that when new. It will break in and get better.

I think the pressure in the HST tends to hold it in gear too. The only way I can get mine to shift easily is to use a firm foot on the brake pedal. ....

View my Photos
bczoom

2004-11-08          100055

Have you tried the emergency brake?
I too have had problems on hills where it won't want to shift. Pull the emergency brake and then it "should" allow it to be taken out of (and into the next) gear without any tugging. ....

View my Photos
gene somers

2004-11-23          100803

with kubota equipment, there is sometimes sticking in the transmissions. Just try backing up a little farther , just to engage the transmission, and then try again to take it out of gear. This works with my 3710 ....

View my Photos
blackdonkey

2004-12-23          102867

My RTV900 has about 15 hrs on it. It sticks in reverse at times and can't get it out any way except to kill the engine and then of course, it comes out easily. This seems to be acommon problem with these units. It would seem to me that this is a design flaw. ....

View my Photos
tcalton

2005-08-18          115051

Ours just started this nonsense. We have 150hrs on the machine.

From the first day we got it, this machine would grind gears loudly when trying to shift into High range... even while the machine was sitting perfectly still, service brake applied and of course, moving from the neutral position. This should be no problem for a hydrostatic transmission where the machine stays in one gear any time the vehicle is in motion.

I was leary of any $10,000 machine that protests to being put into gear when at a stand-still. Now, its stuck in Reverse. We've tried several attempts at getting it out, and we've had no success as yet.

I'll try to remember to let you know how it works out. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-08-19          115121

Do you have enough room to backup and remove the lever as soon as you let up from the gas petal? Thru the years many transmissions have had identical problems that basically means finding a way to remove the load against the range lever. ....

View my Photos
monkeyman

2005-09-23          116819

see why i got rid of my RTV it sux and isnt worth $10k...i now have a mule 3010 diesel and it will out perform and out last the RTV...and if any1 wants to find out we can meet up for a test run lol...i have a ranch with many hils and other tests...well have fun with the inferior RTV!!! ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-09-24          116839

That might be fun with the RTV that I "TWEAKED" before I left the dealership. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-09-24          116843

Did you tweak it so it would make more power in reverse? ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-09-25          116852

I will say that after I was done I hooked it to a TC55DA with a 18LA loader fluid filled tires and a 759C back hoe. I put about 900 lbs. of weight in the bed of the RTV. The 55 would not pull the RTV on black top With the RTV in mid range going forward. In reverse it pulled it about 10 feet in one minute. In soft soil forward was 20 feet in one minute reverse was 35 feet in one minute. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-09-25          116864

RTV's do make a lot of power in the forward gears. If you try to take on too much it will kill the engine.

Where they are feeble is in reverse. The engine won't quit because it triggers some sort of hydraulic bypass. Bury the wheels in 4 inches of sand and it does nothing in reverse. It just sits there. The engine races, but the wheels refuse to turn. ....

View my Photos
Archdean

2005-09-25          116906

Perhaps this will help clear up the problem:
The RTV Retreat (reverse) derives it's power from the opposite hyd port of the Medium gear ratio port!

The remedy at this point appears to be is to make sure the HYD tran is unloaded (3 to 5 seconds) and then spool up slowly in either forward low or the Reverse selection realizing that it will not get the same fluid flow as it will get in forward!! ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-09-25          116921

Whatever. It is hard to imagine something engineered so well in other aspects and so deficient in another.

How do you trust something to take you off road, miles from home, when it will not back itself DOWN A HILL after getting stuck?

It makes no sense to have a reverse gear that will go 15 mph while the low/forward gear maxes out at half that speed. ....

View my Photos
Archdean

2005-09-25          116922

While I cannot nor do not speak for Kubota, it was desinged to be an all around worksite/recreational vechicle capable of hauling considerably more than what 1/2 ton pickups can do over varying terrain, as I have said previously here as well as elsewhere when one takes into the various uses the vehicle has, from farm use to golf course maintenance to trail riding (admittedly not the most agressive) but with the rated payload capability it performs well within it's design specifications all things being equel!! ....

View my Photos
tcalton

2005-09-26          116939

This is a follow-up on my previous message. Our problem was that the gear shifter was stuck so fast in reverse that the operator bent a part of the control linkage trying to get it out. I'm not sure if he tried to shut the engine off or apply the parking brake. The operator did seem nervous when he reported the situation. I doubt he'll try to "force" the shifter into or out of gear again.

Since the linkage was bent, we had to take the cover off the top of the transmission where the shifting linkage enters the transmission. We found where one of the forks had been bent, straightened it and put the machine back together. It works as good as it did before. It does not work freely or without protest.

My concern still hovers over this situation... that a machine that costs ten grand could have a problem switching gears at a standstill is, I think, something that Kubota should fix. Its an RTV, thus it should be expected to be used on inclines quite often. Why build a machine that doesn't want to switch gears when its placed in an environment for which it was intended?

It is a good machine. We use it consistently. It gives no other problems and is worth owning. But for what we paid, i think Kubota has further to go in fixing this issue. ....

View my Photos
Gearhead

2005-09-26          116983

I'll have to get one out and try to get it to screw up. We've sold many of these and have had no problems that i've heard from customers. The reverse hanging is just gear binding, hold light brake pressure while going in reverse and the hold it tight, maybe that will take the pressure off the gear. Or maybe the hydro isn't going all the way to neutral. ....

View my Photos
Gearhead

2005-09-27          117000

Just tried it, it did somewhat get stuck in reverse. Holding the brake seem to help alittle but not much. ....

View my Photos
bczoom

2005-09-27          117006

tcalton,

Is your RTV serial # between 24462 and 34470?
If so, you have a speed control assembly that was used to feather the abrupt stop when you let off the pedal but this modification also made shifting more difficult. If your serial # is in that range, you may want to try the different assembly. ....

View my Photos
gdeloach

2006-11-20          137144

My RTV did the same; linkage bent. Did it ever shift the
the same again?
Has Kubota helped in repairs? ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-11-20          137166

On the newer models for 06 they have a disconnect for the hydro that eliminates the problem by releasing the pressure against the hydro. It does work! I'd be adding it to all older models if this is a consistant problem. ....

View my Photos
treeman

2007-11-27          148773

My RTV is one of the newer ones that came with the pressure release knob. In cold weather or on hills it will sometimes bind up in reverse or low gears. With foot on brake, pull knob, and shift. Yes, it works. If it can be fitted to the older models...get it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login