Go Bottom Go Bottom

Golf cart ATV or Gator type vehicle

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-13          63791

I have been looking at golf carts for utility purposes around my place, does anyone have experience with these? I can buy a 1995 EZ Go gas engine for $1700 or a 1999 electric with new batteries for $1900. A nearby dealer sells new to courses and then takes the old ones and retails them. Not sure if price is good, but it seems about right. He has a 1985 Cushman gas for $800. Also looked at four wheelers, but they seem a bit cumbersome to mount and dismount and don't have the load-space for tools. I really don't want to spend a fortune, but a local dealer has new 400 Arctic Cats for $4500 as well.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Misenplace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-14          63806

Cutter, I have neighbors at my property with all of the above. Most of what I looked at is a LOT more $$. The ATV are around 7k for the biggest ones I have looked at. The Gators are nice as well but the Polaris is very nice. They make a commericial version that you will find some JD dealers handle. The Cushman would not be for me but the EZ go is a option, especially at that price. The ones my neighbors have are green with a hard top. Not fast or going to pull or haul mutch. I like the gators or the Commercial Polaris the best but there are lots of choices in that market. Dave ....

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-14          63808

A golf cart seems like an interesting idea. At least they can carry two people and a bunch of stuff. A small utility trailer might help and also would work for an ATV idea. Gold carts may not be up to rough terrain though.

An ATV would be interesting to me because one would extend the range of my day trips into the bush. Ones that can manage our bush trails aren't cheap though, and I'd still have to solve the passenger and cargo space problems to use one for doing chores. ....

View my Photos
peterREJ

2003-09-14          63810

gas golf carts are great for short trips they start fast and don`t need to be warmed up unless it very cold out electric carts are OK if you don`t have a lot of hills Yamaha makes a good gas model G-1 ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-14          63815

Cutter, I've been looking back and forth much like you but not just for my yard. I also want to use it for scouting trails for the local snowmobile club(roughly 200 plus miles) as well as just cruising the yard. I've figured out that I want more than 20 mph hour so that drops out the Cadet which was my favorite gator type due to the suspension. The golf cart could be nice but, with the polaris ranger type veichle I would have the speed I think as well with the mule. I think I really have to do the wheeler. My dislike is the straddle mount and dismount but it does help for control of the unit to. I'm probably going to buy a used work type wheeler to see if it will do what I want. That way I won't be out big bucks if I am a little disappointed. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-09-14          63817

A friend of mine has a Polaris 500 automatic, top of line in 1999 when he bought it. It has 200 miles on it, he wants 4k. The new Arctic Cat 400 auto is 4.5k but is not liquid cooled. As always, the more answers I get the more questions I have. An interesting note I discovered last night, these machines have a locked rear differential, that means lawn scuffing if using for that type of work. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-14          63820

Cutter I figured you'd be out after the Salmon this morning! The four wheelers do have locked or positive drive to the rear on most all I've seen and you are right on the possiible scuffing. I'd be worried most on soft soils with that. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-09-14          63821

Actually Art, my boat is in dry dock. I figured I would have it done this year, but with the ice storm damage I have had very little time to work on it. I plan on finishing the minimum wiring requirement to have my underwriters inspection complete in that building today or tomorrow (believed I was there last weekend but inspector thought of a few other things he wanted), next project after that is the fishing machine. So we shall see. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-14          63824

Was out of Oswego a couple of weeks ago,not much happening at that time but did bring in a couple before we had to get out of the way of a storm. Hope you get your boat up soon. I'm pulling my little Volvo down this winter for a major tune up. Hoping on getting about an extra 20 to 25 horsepower on the shy side. With the little boat just need to have the extra power to out run the storms. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-09-14          63825

Cutter;
Here is another option that is probably inexpensive and ugly, that I came across when looking for tractors. Looks like it would get the job done as long as you remember that beauty is only skin deep.
You would need to email them for price and speed.
Peters ....

Link:   Utility Ugly

View my Photos
cutter

2003-09-14          63827

I know the feeling Art, have been caught in those. I am going to install a lightning rod and ground plate on mine, I can safely ride them out that way.

Interesting vehicle Eric. Another option I thought of sits down the road from me. It is an old jeep cj with a bimini top, he is asking 1.5k or b/o. I missed a flat hood for 1k last month, those are my favorite. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2003-09-14          63832

Peters BOY did that tug back a memory! I did my last tour in Korea, 1990. They use those! The Koreas can build some purty neat stuff from salvage. This one seems a little more refined than the ones I saw. 13 years does wonders.

One of the koolest things was a little 4wd tractor hooked to a cart with a pto drive thru a transmission to the differential making a 6x6. Wallered right thru the paddies.

Harvey ....

View my Photos
rjmills

2003-09-14          63835

Again it comes back into how much you want to spend and what exactly you want it to haul. You mention tools so many vehicles cal do this. We have a summer place at a lake about an hour away which is like a small community. I had the desire for something to drive around, put in the waverunners and keep the kids busy but safe. An ATV would be just to fast for the kids and I already have the trailer, truck, and tractor to pull anything with big weight.

I ended up getting a 2000 Gas Club Car golf cart, this was green but I painted it red, put lights and a fold down back seat and oversized tires on it. I usually carrier three to four adults, hundreds of pound of ice etc.. I think it has a three gallon gas tank which last 8 or more hours. Not real fast but does this trick. During hunting season I have a camo cover and use propane to heat inside.. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-09-14          63837

Sounds like a perfect environment for a Subaru Brat. Wish they still made them. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-15          63895

I think you guys under-estimate the off-road ability of a golf cart. Take from someone who has seen what they can do, completely stock they are incredible, customized for the task they are UNBELIEVABLE.

That's right, I said CUSTOMIZED, there are many companies out there that make off-road parts and whole kits for such purpose.

Several of my younger employees have taken to this, one of whom I might add had to be asked to stop wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with "Ride it like you STOLE it!!!" to work.

See the link below for some neat stuff for the brave at heart. It's interesting reading if nothing else, or just search by "off-road golf cart" on your favourite search engine.

BTW Art, I have tried a couple of these 'customized' golf carts on trails around my place, they ride so nicely you'll seriously wonder why you sat on a 4-wheeler so many years, especially after a long ride. The kids took theirs on a 4 day trek last fall, they covered about 70 miles a day for 4 days straight. Apparently they shocked a lot of ardent 4-wheel enthusiasts who came across them along the way.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Off-Road Golf Carts

View my Photos
Peters

2003-09-15          63898

A golf cart will go the distance stock as Murf said. There is an Island in Howe Sound (Keats) that restricted cars years ago and allow residences only golf carts. Some carts are very old now and the Island is quite mountainous so the roads are quite difficult to pass. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-15          63931

Murf those are pretty slick machines. I see they want $3,100 for a 2001 with a gas engine. Does that seem right against the prices Cutter mentioned ??? At under 2k Its got me thinkin one would be pretty handy at camp. I just stayed away from the 4 wheelers and the others so far due to the cost and I dont want to leave something that expensive up north untill I get a better garage built. Dave ....

View my Photos
Jelliott

2003-09-15          63932

I too was considering a mule/polaris/gator/cart for use around our farm. What we ended up with is a ragged, rusty, but mechanically sound '87 Toyota 4x4 std cab shortbed pickup. I will admit that it is probably not as much fun as any of the other options, but it will haul more, and is more economical than most of the others (paid $1K). Also, it is truly unbelievable where you can go with one of these things if you are not at all concerned about preserving the bodywork. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-15          63939

Dave, it's surprising where one of those little suckers will go with nothing more than a swap of the rear two tires to something with a little more bite, lawn tractor tires work weel, as do ATV knobby tires.

If you figure at paying $1,000 to $2,000 for a decent unit in good condition, another $1,000 for an 'off-road' conversion, the price makes sense.

Personally, unless the going is REALLY tough, I wouldn't do anything but the tire swap.

I need to look through my pic. collection, somewhere I have one of a snaowmobile conversion of an EZ-GO an ice fishing cabin rental place did, they replaced each front wheel with a ski and then put an idler axle out back with a slip on track around the pair on each side. It worked pretty good and was VERY effective.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-15          63943

Murf, yeah the price really makes it attractive. I'd like to see a photo of that ice fishing hook up. I cant however start thinking about SNOW !!!!! yikes, you just got me dreamin about Bahama Mamas :) I even dusted the bottle of Nassau Royal and got the overproof rum down. Is that the Palm trees movin or is it just me ??? lol. Dave ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-09-15          63948

What a great website Murf! There is no question, the golf cart with minor conversions is the way to go. I really don't want to get into a full size motor vehicle, too many maintenance items and parts that could fail. Not to mention, I want something small that can be parked inside but out of the way. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-15          63951

What is the speed of these? Will they climb much of a hill? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-15          63959

Speed is the end relationship between horsepower & gearing. Putting on bigger tires makes for more top-end speed at the expense of bottom-end power.

Gas or electric is a whole other subject.

The ones I've seen have a top-end similar to stock units.

The off-road, including hill-climbing abilities of these things are pretty good, especially at low speeds.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
peterR

2003-09-15          63960

A yamaha gas golf goes about 10 mph,climbs my 20% gravel drive ok with traction tires, its also very quiet and easy to use, going down that drive is the hard part, 4wheel brakes would help alot ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-15          63968

Murf, being Canadian couldn't you get a nice discount on a Bombardier engine to drop in one ?? A 600 blizzard should put her at about 70 mph ? Just like being on the boat :) Dave ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-09-15          63971

So what do you say Murf, gas over electric? I was initially leaning toward electric but after seeing the dune buggy conversions think gas is the way to go. I figure 1700 for the cart and a grand for the add-ons. The dealer will install a steel box in place of the bag rack for less than two hundred, made for the unit. That puts me at less than 3k for the whole setup and certainly less than a four wheeler. I will enjoy painting the body myself and installing the lift kit! I'll call it "Hi Cutter" :> ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-15          63972

Reminds me of Hi karate ! lol. Does the dealer in your area have a web site ? For that price It would probably be worth it for me to drive over there. Dave ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-09-15          63975

No site that I am aware of Dave. You have my e-mail, send me a note and I will explain more if you wish. He is an Ez Go dealer as well as my youngest son's old soccer coach. He has two machines that are made by EZ Go that are similar to ones on the website Murf posted but look more like a 4x2 gator. He wants to get rid of them in the worst way, paying floor plan. One is reduced to 5k the other 6k, I believe one has a dump box.

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-16          64014

Actually if you don't have long distances to cover the electric is superior in a lot of ways, plus with an electric cart you have the option of 4 wheel drive, yup, I said FOUR WHEEL DRIVE.

They have one of these things at the marina in FL I frequent, they use it for moving & launching boats and general run-around chores in the yard. Unbelievable power, the factory motor is in the neighbourhood of 3hp, the aftermarket unit is 11+ hp, BIG difference.

The modified electric units will do 20 mph, and have a nearly 30 mile range on a single charge.

Check out the link below to Hunting Shop below that sells everything you need for these buggies.

BTW, they are UNSURPASSED for hunting, you can get so close to game before they even know you're there it's incredible, one of the fellows here complains constantly about almost getting run over by deer coming the other way, or coming over a hill and a herd standing in the middle of the trail. Around my house you can get so close to the wild turkeys before they move off you almost have to bump them to get them off the trail.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Nifty 4wd electric carts.

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-16          64031

Well boys you made me do it!!!? Six golf coarses and sales places later and the number one cart the most times was Yamaha for reliablity. Bought a nice clean 1998 gas for $1200. Now where are the best deals on wheels and tires? What else should I know? The plot here keeps getting deeper. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-16          64037

Murf do you have electric ? How long does it take to charge the batteries ? Art, Wow, that sounds like a real bargain !I was looking at the EZ go gas 480. I think its 15 hp and its rated at 17 mph. How big is the engine in the Yamaha ? Dave ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-16          64045

Dave, mine is a Yamaha gas unit, the main reason why was the lack of attebtion required, if I forget to plug in an electric it's dead, the gas just goes when you step on the pedal. Besides I take it to the cottage or farm lots and the gas unit is just more convenient for that.

The new version is called a "G-Max" but mine is a G9A, they're basically the same unit though, top speed is a blistering 15 mph, but that doesn't seem to change much up hill or down, so it is obviously not all it is capable of.

The engine is a 357cc single cylinder 4 stroke, really quiet and smooth.

There are not as many 'off road' parts available as for the EZ-GO but as Art mentioned it is a better unit all round.

They do now make an off-road utility vehicle though, it is even part-time 4WD, it is called the "Side by Side", but it is a LOT more money.

The link below is for one of the biggest after-market customizer, mostly for people haulers though, around for Yamaha Golf Cars, they are in Texas. ....

Link:   Yamaha Golf Cars

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-16          64048

Murf, Thats why I was thinking primarily gas as well. I dont really care too much about the aftermarket stuff. The most I would ever do is lift it and put bigger tires on. There would be no "need" for that other than to tinker. Did you pick up your used ? These are a Lot more here than what is getting posted. With the exchange rate it might be worth my time to hop over your way as Toronto is only 4 hours from me. I can actually get to upstate New York as fast as to my property. lol. You guys really got me thinking on this deal. I completely had it out of my mind for this year as I was thinking it would cost soooo much more $$. The Yamaha is about 50cc bigger than the EZ Go. I worked for more than my share of country Clubs in the past and I know how the EZ go's were getting worked on and charged all the time. Dave ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-16          64049

Dave, the local Yamaha golf car distributor, who is also the areas largest Toro turf equipment & irrigation equipment distributor usually has a good selection of used cars in stock, however I'm not sure how much cheaper they would be, even with the exchange rates, they are not known for their discount prices, nudge, nudge, can you say 'exclusive territiory'.

I was looking at their site, and even though it is a little out of date, it still shows that the used units are about US$1500 to US$1750 (CDN$200 to CDN$2500) but mind you they are not junk either.

As for the lift kits, knobby tires, etc., a lot of non-golf users up here do nothing more than swap the back two tires for standard lawn tractor tires and go. You would only need a lift kit and aggresive tires to venture into the really tough stuff, they're pretty good off-road right from the factory.

Mine was actually a contra deal, we did some work on the house of the owner of one of the courses I deal with and forgot to bill him, he in turn forgot where he left one of his golf cars....LOL

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Turf Care Poducts

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-16          64053

Murf, $1750 is actually a very good price. I have seen $2500 for a totally re-built out of S Carolina. New around $3,600. Can you post their site ? Most of the used I am seeing look used and abused. Dave ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-09-16          64057

OK Art, you are not that far from me so tell me where you got that price. I have not seen anything close to $1200 unless it was over ten years old. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-16          64066

I am not even seeing any thing 10 years old at auction for $1200. The totally rebuilt ones for $2500 are starting to look good but $1750 sounds fair for a 1998 or newer. Dave ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-09-16          64070

Here's the thing Dave, did you notice that Art's is a 1998 for $1200? The best I can find is a 1995 for $1700. Perhaps things are cheaper in the middle of the state, I'd like to find out before I commit to one. On the other hand, he may have bartered a bit and swapped a lifetime of blade sharpening or something to offset the cost, who knows. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-16          64084

Been out puttering. Been stuck twice, needed a push. We're past 20 mph I think, I haven't hit it with the gun yet, but I can get more with some clutch work and the bigger tires . Played with the throttle control to the point of full or no throttle but have centered on full petal control. Been looking on line for a good lift kit and tires but haven't seen the options for the yamaha carts like the others. The cart that I bought was from a golf coarse and it was bought as is and has had no detailing and it for sure needs it. The cart was from a coarse that closed and they sat idle for two years for so I was told, as the cleanliness of the machine is lacking but they had been running it for utility purposes. I believe it is a G-16 model for what I have seen as I haven't noticed the tag yet. The belt looks to be original as well as the air cleaner so both are going and I need to do a full lube. Cutter, I have enough work that I'm definitly not going to be sharpening any mower blades, but that is why I have help, I'll try it the next time. We are an old relationship and have worked back and forth for about 6 or seven Bota's and a couple of Ferris mowers. This was the last of the group. If one of my other contacts come thru that I made I'll let you know. He did have a couple of ugly work carts that he wanted me to take but I just couldn't bring myself to that as they were about ten years older and had been run but still ran good but was about a 2 on looks. I think it's still going to take about another thou to put it up to where I want it if I don't get to carried away. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-09-16          64094

Something interesting: ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-09-16          64095

And something else: ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-17          64106

Mark, The Lynx is a very nice machine for the $$$. Too bad they put a electric motor in it instead of the 9 hp Kowasaki gas engines that Club Car ( Ingersoll Rand ) uses. Club car is very popular here. They have an aluminum frame. There is a camo body available for them to swap out with the regular one for $600. Try www.GolfCartsPlus.com Cutter, here is the Link to the place that has the rebuilt ones. Be sure to check out the feature cart with the beer cooler in the trunk and a Kenwood Stereo :) www.Sutcliffegolfcarts.com

Dave ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-17          64107

Ok Some one please tell me how you guys are adding the links you can just click on. Dave ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-09-17          64112

Dave,

If you are referring to embedding a link inside your message, that would be "HTML" content, which we block from all messages.

If you want to use the link boxes on the reply form here is how you do it (one link, one pix per post:

If you see a picture at another site:
1) right mouse click on the image
2) select properties from the dropdown box
4) Look for the "Address URL" line
5) Mouse over the address and right click
6) choose copy
7) then past it into the Link URL box on the Tractorpoint reply page.

If it is another Address just copy it and paste it as above in the link URL box.

Dennis
TractorPoint ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-09-17          64116

When you copy an address you will end up with two "http://" segments and you will need to delete one.

Different thought: I wonder if you could take a small Honda generator along on excursions with an electric cart and keep the batteries topped off as you go? ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-09-17          64121

You ended up with one of those rare finds Art. Just wanted to be sure that there weren't more for that price before I laid out my cash for an older one. I am still a bit reluctant, the newer electric with new batteries for $1900 may be the way to go, just am not sure. Is there a way to alter the micro switch so they idle and shut off with a key switch? I'll bet that would be easier on the starter and engine both, just a thought. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-17          64135

Dave, the link to the Canadian supplier is at the bottom of my reply, it is "Turf Care".

Mark, you certainly can take a genset along, I know several people that do just that, the problem however is the newer units are 48v. systems, they use 4 seperate 12v. batteries wired together, so in order to charge them properly you would need 4 seperate chargers, or a 4 circuit charger which is a pretty pricey thing.

Art, I listed the link to the Yamaha after-markey supplier in Texas in one of my posts on this thread already. Take my word for it, the FIRST thing you want to do is get rid of those factory tires on the back, for a temporary cure get a tire grooving iron and cut the tread into squares instead of those useless grooved slicks.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-17          64169

I've been able to add some RPM and still amintain the original functions as such. I had it adjusted out so it was wto or nothing but was not able to drive easily. The way it is now I have about an extra 1000rpm and it works good. My wife was such a happy face last nite when she drove it but said it's to fast. Hope to get out the radar gun this weekend again. Murf, we always used circular saws for grooving with a couple of blades backwards for good results. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-17          64170

Art, we obviously share some automotive secrets.

However, as I get older my nose prefers the aroma of a good cigar to that of a circular saw blade going through a tire backwards.

I have discovered thought that with just a little bit of fiddling one of the those Weller 'instant hot' soldering guns can be adapted to tire grooving quitte nicely, LOL.

If you need to 'adjust' your wife's concept of fast I can loan you my V-12 BMW, I promise you she will think the cart is TAME after a little spin down the Interstate, LOL.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-17          64172

By the way Cutter, the Kubota is on it's way and it is a beauty for what I've seen. We will be ordering fifteen so if any one has a need? ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-17          64177

I test drove a few carts today. The Yamaha is noticeably faster than the EZGO. The Yamaha is a twin cylinder overhead cam and the EZGO is a single cyilder overhead valve. The ones I saw were more abused than used. The dealer did offer a 1 year warranty. At theese prices he should. A 1996 Yamaha was $1750. A 1997 Yamaha was $1995 and a 1998 EzGo was $2100. They were in rough shape. I did drive one with new over sized wheels/tires and a lift kit. That makes a HUGE difference and will most definately be what I want. The Best prices I am seeing are from a place out of Alabama that sells on eBay. The can ship to a terminal in Detroit for $250. They have Yamaha gas models. 2000 is $2300 ! 1999 is $1900. They also have a 2000 with the lift kit new oversize tires with steel wheels, aluminum bed and lights for 3k. Dave ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-17          64198

Ya know thats sounds like a great deal. I just ordered over a grand for parts and I don't have them installed yet! Looking at that deal it's better then mine. You could order that one and have it before I'm done! I still don't have the wheels and tires yet. I went with the seven inch lift, fender flares, front brush bar, tune-up,filters, plug, belt,tow hitch,rear clutch kit,lites and signals. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-18          64222

Murf, was talking about the new Kubota units coming out with some of the help. Wait till you see these units as they are different and I think they will be a viable unit. They don't seem to be priced to bad and they will be durable for the drive system. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-09-18          64237

I am leaning a bit towards the electric myself Dave. 1900 for a 1999 EZ go with new batteries. Waiting for a call back on it. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-18          64243

Thats a couple hundred more than I am seeing on electrics. Id make sure I got a 48v system and not 36v if I got electric, and I would get electric IF I had electricity at deer camp. You definately want new batterys and a charger. You might want to make sure the batteries are new and not newer. lol. They like to play with words. Dave ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-18          64253

HAY MURF ! Turf Care does not sell to the public. :( They gave me the number for a place in Aurora. Heres how the conversation went. Hi I'm interested in a Yamaha gas golf cart.......Silence.....hello ? yeeeeup . Do you have any ? ....uh huh....How much ? oh about $2500. What year....er, uh mid 90's. Ok thanx. lol. They must be a Michigan transplant Murf because thats the kind of lame brained lazy response I'd expect to get here. Lol. Dave ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-18          64255

Sorry Dave, I should have mentioned they are strictly wholesale to the industry.

I know the people in Aurora you are talking about, I've dealt with them a few times over the years and I think you're being overly charitable, I would have said the backwoods of Alabama.....

Think hard about the electric cart too Dave, they are the only way you can get 4WD, and a few hoours on a genset is all you need, if you want to get lazy, get a couple sets of booster cables and let thaty big ACDelco alternator do it's thing. You get about 25 mile range on a charge and they are so fast and powerful yet so close to silent it's spooky.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-18          64283

Murf, As the executive chef for numerous large private CC I have always had a cart at my disposal. This is often necessary to kick some bodys butt ata half way house or take a cook to a BBQ function, run fod etc etc. I cant tell you how many times I have had to push some damned electric cart up the last friggen hill to the kitchen at 10 pm after a 18 hour day. Most clubs also keep a few mule types that are gas. I learned about 15 years ago to feed the cart guys and the maintenance guys what they want, when they want. I have been out of that game and on my own a long time now but I still remember how much I dont like electric carts. I did see a 48v Yamaha, '99 with new batteries in 02 for 1600 plus about 250 shipping. Dave ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-19          64310

I can certainly relate to your comments Dave, however I think that your experiences had more to do with batteries that were well past their prime and / or not fully charged.

Besides if you've ever been in an electric cart with good batteries, and the bigger, more efficient motor & controller you'd never even CONSIDER a gas cart, electric motors are by virtue of their design kick-a%# for such tasks to start with, when you consider you can easily put an 15+hp motor on an electric cart, 30+hp if you have 4wd, when you MIGHT get 8hp out of a gas cart there's just no comparison.

The new top-end electrics also have a built in regeneration circuit, when you go downhill and the cart reaches a set speed the electronics convert the motor to a generator and it uses the load of charging the batteries to limit the speed, while converting the energy to battery capacity.

Besides, as I said earlier, you can only have 4wd in an electric unit. Have a look at the bootom photo on the pager link below and you'll see what I mean about their capabilities.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Big Game Shops Carts

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-19          64312

Murf, one of the thoughts I had was for where I'm going to run mine on snowmobile trails I liked the idea of four wheel drive but I did also worry about the weight. I do hope with the parts I have coming and a few clutch mods that I might be cruising almost to fast. I found that I could use wheels and tires off a Ferris 2220 chassis on the rear but they are way to close to the fenders(lift kit on order) but on my street I was able to follow a car to the point I could have passed it. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-19          64314

I can believe that, one of the kids that works for me has an older E-Z-Go with a 600cc Rotax snowmobile engine in it.

They clocked it by pacing it with a car, they got as fast as 65mph before it got to "spooky" (his words) and they decided they really didn't need to find out what the top end was, they changed the clutch setup to a 'more torque' mode and added bigger tires.

The sky is the limit.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-19          64328

Iam still thinking about it. If I did go electric I would want 48v. I can get a 99 Yamaha 48v out of Alabama for 1600 plus 250 shipping. The batteries were new in 02. I cant find much info on replacement batteries and cost. I Just dont like electricity. The x used to tell me I was going to fall from a high place and get electrocuted ! lol. Dave ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-19          64332

Dave, contact those good 'ole boys at the Big Game Pro Shop in my previous reply, they will sell you a 48v conversion kit for $400 (including the charger) and T-145 batteries for $100 a pop.

If you're going to upgrade anyways you might get a deal on a 'Handyman Special' with a suspect motor and no batteries, instead of paying for one in good condition and throwing away perfectly serviceable parts.

Don't forget you can always pack a genset along with you to recharge the batteries, if you check the spec.'s on those chargers I think you'll find it doesn't take much 120v power to crank up a 12v charger, every amp at 120v is 10 amps at 12v. those little whisper quiet Honda suitcase jobs would probably do the trick.

Besides, after the rifle goes bang the deer don't seem to mind the sound of a generator at all .... LOL

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-19          64342

murf, Thanx for the link. a couple of thoughts, the 48v conversion doesn't seem like much of a deal. Most 48v systems are only about 400 more than the 36 on a used cart and all the wireing is set up for it. Add the cost of 8 batteries to the 400 and 2k for a cart and your getting right up their before wheels/lift. The lynx that Northern Tool sells direct from club car has my interest at the moment.Mark H put a link up to it. Its $4,400 on easy pay with free freight. They are 48v with new T-875 batteries and completely refurbished, new brakes, new everything, bushings, seat, lift, tires, cart, camo. The problem is my damn Generac generator is louder than the 2210. Plus the noise in the days before the hopefull bang the generator would not be welcome. On the other hand I hope to have a cabin with power in the next three years. Dave ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-19          64346

Dave, don't misled, batteries are NOT all the same.

T-875's have only 438 LEU's (Life Energy Units) the T-145's have 673 LEU's, the T-875's have only 295 minutes at a nominal 25 amps load, while the T-145's have 530 minutes at the same load, at 75 amps it jumps to 145 fr the T-145's while the T-875's have only 75 minutes at that load.

Those T-875's are the type of battery you were talking about pushing uphill for the last few hills.

I was talking about buying a 'handyman special' for $500 to $750 then adding all those little goodies on yourself. Most of the parts are readily available for little money and easily replaced with no special tools or facilities.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-19          64351

Murf, you gotta tell me where I can find a "handy man special" under $1600. That IS the handyman special. Add 250 for freight and $800 for batteries, 700 for a proper lift kit/wheels/ and a bed and lights and it WAYYYY more than I want to spend. lol. I am going to stick with gas. For $800 I can buy a new motor and the gas ones are pretty darn quiet too. I can get a '99 for 2100. Either I pay the tax here or the freight their it comes out about the same. Some dealers here are as high as $2800 for a '99. Dave ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-09-19          64357

Dave if you want a really quiet gas unit, you can add a SuperTrapp at the end of the tail pipe. SuperTrapps have washer/disc baffles that you can add or remove to change backpressure. (Low end torque and noise) They are also USFS approved as a spark arrestor.

I have run these before on off road engines from 400cc to over 2 Liters and they work great. If you use the regular muffler and add the SuperTrapp in addition, you can make an engine very, very quiet. They are even using a similar exhaust on the USMC assault motorcycles. Very quiet. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-19          64361

First of all I wouldn't buy a 1999 to run around the woods with, if you're going to re-build anyways a unit as old as 20 years will still do the job just fine.

Have a look at the selection on the link below for the cheapie handyman specials. They have some old but VERY rebuildables for as little as $250, gas & electric. I would think you could do a lot of 're-conditioning' for the difference between these units and the premiums ones.

www dot blackbarngolfcars dot com

You're right about the noise though, the gas jobs are very quiet.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Black Barn Golf Cars

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-20          64409

You'll love this, the boys from the golf coarse stopped by last nite as was out tinkering with the cart again waiting for the parts to get here to tear it apart. They took it for a ride and came back with a major smile as the tears from the wind were running down there face they were asking about how to do up the carts on the golf coarse! They normally run club cars so I couldn't help them off the top of my head but they said they will ge tone over for me. I think this is going to be a fun project. Murf I'm glad you said 99 was to new of a cart for the woods and not 98. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-20          64410

Art, What exactly did you do to that fun buggy ? Paint it orange ? :) Dave ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-20          64419

We played with the linkages to every thing for fuel. We went to far at one time and it would only run wide open and would shut off when releasing the petal even the slightest. Backed it off a bit and found a happy medium. This next week I hope to be in the back clutch to tighten that up to gain more power for quicker acceleration and hopefully a little more speed but when I put the bigger tires on after the lift kit I think I'll be back to needing more clutch work for cross country rides. This unit is still quiet as I haven't hit the exhaust yet. I haven't ordered seat belts yet but they would be a big plus when going out for baha rides but I think the big tires will also give a little more cushion and maybe smooth it out a bit. Bucket type seats might be a plus to hold in better. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-09-20          64436

Art,
Can you post some pictures of the project? I just bid on a 2001 electric over on E-bay (thanks for the tip Dave), if mine goes through it will be half the cost of the ones I have seen in that category. I have to believe the bid will go higher, but if not it is close enough to me that I can pick it up on a weekend. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-20          64443

I haven't gotten into that yet but maybe it's about time I learned how. I'll give it a whirl!!! ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-21          64465

Ok, I looked at a club car '98 yesterday. $2,150. Thats roughly the same as eBay priceing but a year older. Although I can see exactly what I'm getting. A trade off either way. How many hours do you guys think one of theese little single poppers will go before kicking off ? They were 550-600 hours. So general conversation lets assume they get scheduled service but no more than whats required. Dave ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-09-21          64467

The newer ones I looked at have twin cylinder Robin engines in them. The older ones have single cylinder, but I could not see the name. The dealer is kind of unsure and since he is actually a soccer coach doing this part time I believe the mechanic is the one familiar with these things, but I have not run into him yet. I do know that they have a 1985 Cushman with a single popper they are rebuilding and will sell for $800, I might just look into that as well. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-21          64468

Dave, Cutter, I would say these engines should run out to about 3500 hours with proper sevicing. I would think that if the cart is bought with the right thing in mind then it should be a good investment. I want a fun machine to play with and not a work machine. For Cutter if you want a work machine then naturally the 800. rebuilt cart is an outstanding deal for that job. You might have a few little items fail from time to time from it's age but you have little invested. For my own use of ocasional back lot type driving and far general comfort while doing it and where it will go, I should have a good long lasting toy. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-21          64469

Cutter I forgot to tell you where I got my machine from they had there units for sale for 500 as is. They were in everyday use. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-09-21          64473

Can you e-mail me with the address or phone number Art? I like what I am hearing about the Yamaha and those prices seem exceptional. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-22          64517

Cutter the one that they were using the day I was there didn't have a cushion that wasn't torn and it had been bombed with a spray can dupont tune-up without taping! I think after looking at what I bought, for the lack of attention it had, if you've got one they are rebuilding for 300 more I'd jump on that one. Just my thoughts. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-22          64518

Cutter the one that they were using the day I was there didn't have a cushion that wasn't torn and it had been bombed with a spray can dupont tune-up without taping! I think after looking at what I bought, for the lack of attention it had, if you've got one they are rebuilding for 300 more I'd jump on that one. Just my thoughts. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-22          64544

Not much progress on the carts here. I was looking at a 1990 Yamaha for $1250, gas. The guy tells me that Yamahas before '96 are VERY difficult to paint. The best price I am finding is $1600 for a '96 in Iowa and it will take about $200 to get it. I also am stll mulling the electric idea and there is a '99 48v Yamaha for $1900 plus 250 delivery. I cant find much info on those batteries murf, no prices etc. That one did have new batteries in 02 but they were the smaller ones. Locally the best I can find is a '98 Club car with 600 hours for $2150 plus 6% tax. I can get a 2000 club car with about 400 hours just past Chicago for $2300 plus $100 in fuel. Onme thing that puzzles me slightly on the Yamaha is no oil filter on the engine. Descions, descions. Cutter, I am seeing some good prices on eBay from a guy in Gettysburg, PA. If thats not a long drive for you, he has a 48v up now. Dave ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-22          64547

IMHO, I would buy a $500 special and then re-do it, that way you KNOW exactly what kind of shape it's in.

10 miles up a game trail is NOT the best place to have mechanical problems...

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-22          64558

Murf, I hear ya but I still cant find anything that doesn't look like it belongs in the junk yard for that price. In fact the best I can do with getting it here is a 1990 for $1250. For a Grand more I can get a a model 10 years newer. If I have to buy a new motor for the old one, or $800 nearly makes up for the difference, and thats not considering the new ones are green and dont need to be painted, the tires dont have to be replaced, the seals, the differential, belts, batterys etc. I am talking to a guy on a 96 so I hope to strike a balance between the two. But I understand what you are saying. Once you fix it you know what has been done and not just what some one else has told you. Dave ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-22          64561

Murf, they told me right up front to expect some problems, after all for that kind of money what do you expect. Not all here are capable of rebuilding something and having it perform after. Hopefully a mechanic might see some other things that might need to be delt with and fix them for the 300 dollar difference. I was not impressed at all for what I looked at. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-22          64565

Had one of my freinds bust my a#% pretty bad this weekend. I took a Cadet 4x2 to our snowmobiles clubs membership party at there land which is about 45 acres to give tours on. Took him for a ride to show him the property, then he was doing it and at the end of the day he says I'll give you 2000 down and give me the 0% for 36 months!!! I couldn't believe it as he was about to buy a golf cart as soon as we could find another one. His daughter on Sunday put four hours driving it around the property (he figures he won't have to mow as much)as well as he's done several trips to my house. Fellow from the school that I tried to sell one to this spring called this morning told of the school super being one of those people to take the tour, he told me to get one up there asap as they were ready. Go figure! ....

View my Photos
cigars

2003-09-22          64578

An older Yamaha G-1 makes a great utility rig. They're 2cycle/oil injected, bullet proof and will haul a hefty payload. We have one we've painted JD green and call the Yamagator! ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-09-22          64579

I have been bidding on the one from Pennsylvania Dave. I found another dealer with Yamaha's. 2001 gas with lift kit and tires delivered for under 3k. Less for electric. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-22          64583

A 01 with lift, tires and delivered for under 3k !! c'mon dish up the dealers name ! Thats a killer price. Dave ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-09-22          64589

Dave,

The dealer is on e-bay, I contacted him but you can see his stuff using the link I added. ....

Link:   Golf carts

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-22          64596

Cutter, Thats the same guy I had been talkin to on a '99 for 1900. It sold and he was checking on some others. I did see the 2000 model he has with the lift tires and bed for 3k. The delivery from him is 250 which is a really good price. Did you ask him to build one for you on a 01 cart ? I see he is at $2300 just for the 01. I thought the '99 was a bettter buy for $400 less. Right now I am talking to a guy on the other side of chicago. You will find him on the first page of eBay golf carts if you sort by highest price. He has 2000 Club Cars for $2300. They look really nice. I drove a '98 club car the other day it was $2150 plus 6% tax. I can get to this guy and back in one day, maybee $100 for gas so for about $100 more I can get a cart two years newer Plus his are green which is nice for the woods. I also found a guy in Minnesota today with 48v electrics for 1400. I'm waiting for a ship price from them but I am pretty much tryin to decide between the alabama Yamaha or the Chicago club car. Dave ....

View my Photos
rjmills

2003-09-23          64607

Dave,

Not sure where in Michigan you are located but found a few links you can check into.

http://www.boylansales.com/index.shtml
http://nevportal.com/db_listings/Michigan.php
http://www.chiefcart.com/
http://www.pifergolf.com
http://www.ellissalesinc.com/index.html

Just a few ideas and on the second link you will find more dealers in Michigan.

jeff ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-23          64610

Jeff, Thanx for the leads. Carts in Michigan are for the most part just too expensive to make any sense at all for what I need. Boylan sales was a new one I had not seen. I will give them a call. Most of the others prices for me with fuel are about $300 more Plus 6% tax, for a cart 1-2 years older than I can get by going to Wisconsin or just past Chicago. Most of what I am seeing here is far more abused than used. Dave ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-23          64612

Cutter, Dave, I got boxes in yesterday, big boxes too!! Have I got work ahead of me. Was looking at your posts on E-bay and for the money depending on what you are doing those are good numbers on thse carts for what they are. I'm going to be there with funds when done and I'm out the labor. The only difference is I know what I'm doing(excuse me) can see what I'm doing. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-23          64613

Cutter, Dave, I got boxes in yesterday, big boxes too!! Have I got work ahead of me. Was looking at your posts on E-bay and for the money depending on what you are doing those are good numbers on thse carts for what they are. I'm going to be there with funds when done and I'm out the labor. The only difference is I know what I'm doing(excuse me) can see what I'm doing. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-23          64649

soooo what was in the boxes ???? I did call the dealer that was mentioned above. Boylan sales, Very nice people and thanx again for the link. They are a Yamaha distributor and have a lot of carts. They have some handyman specials that murf was referring to but still not a good deal for me. Non running 2 strokes $500 non running early 90's 4 strokes $750. They have 1990-93 G-8 yamahas for $1300 and 95-96 G-14 Yamahas for 15-1600 and the same 95-96 reconditioned for 2k as well as newer models. I was thinking of lifting one and putting bull horns on the front, painted with a bull face on on the back airbrushing "NO BULL" lol. Dave ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-23          64650

We got a lite kit for front and rear with turn signals. Went with four inch lift kit with badland tires as a package. Front brush gaurd, rear clutch kit,fenders and a tune-up kit. Went thru Buggies unlimited didn't take long to get and seem to have everything ordered. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-09-23          64672

I'm still not sure what I am going to end up with. One local Arctic Cat dealer still has three 500cc automatics that he is selling for $5500. That isn't much more than the finished carts and is new to boot. Too many choices. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-23          64674

The 4 wheeler is a better buy for a single rider but the cart can have a bed for the chain saw and some cold sodas. I also dont want to get too crazy with mine as I just want to leave it in the woods. I think overall the best deal I am seeing is the lifted one with the aluminum bed and big tires from alabame for $3250 with shipping. That was on a 2000 Yamaha. I do actually like the club car best though. I had things a bit twisted in my mind as the Yamaha is a single cylinder and does not have a oil filter. The club car and EZ go are twins with filters. The club car also has a aluminum frame which is very nice. I read a on line article that said they were picked the best carts by the Country club grounds keepers association for reliability and ease of maintenance for six years straight. Dave ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-09-23          64675

Dave,

What happened to your user ID? Actually, there are a TON of options available for load carrying on these things. Not to mention aftermarket up the kazoo. Still not positive what is going to happen with my thought process on the subject though. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-23          64685

I guess I have just not really looked at the 4 wheeler stuff. I always tend to look at the models that are 7k. Even the smaller ones I know I cant just leave in the woods. I decided to change my user Id as their seemed to be some confusuin as per my chosen profession. I am a Executive chef by trade so I chose Mise en Place. Which is just a common french cooking term that basicly means "to put in place". I do however have interest in more than one private corporation and have been self employed for several years. I am also a state certified mechanic and attended university for airframe and powerplant mechanics. I did not finish due to the death of my great aunt and the fact that I could not afford the tuition even with student loans and two full time jobs. It didn't help that I chose a university in Daytona Beach. I also felt it might be confuseing for some as I was still being called Doc. I wanted to go with sufferin succotash but I couldnt shorten it to 10 characters. Maybe I should have gone with BAM ! or opah. lol. Dave ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-24          64706

Art, I sure would like to know if that lift kit is difficult to put in or if a person with a fair amount of mechanical garage tinkerin aptitude could handle it. It seems like a 1970's era single cylinder Roatax would be just the ticket in one of theese, they even operate on the same type of clutch/drive system. Dave ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-24          64710

Dave, "SFRNSCTASH" 10 characters..... LOL .... or staying with the French theme "JENESAQUOI"...ROFLMAO.

Seriously though, the lift kits are unbolt old parts bolt in new parts, strictly swap only, no fabricating or customizing required. The hardest part of the whole operation is getting to the underside of the unit to do the work, my guys use one of a FEL to stand the cart on it;'s rear end then work straight on standing up, sounds more convenient to me than laying upside down with 10 years of dirt falling in your eyes.

Power options are only limited by availability of parts, imagination and desire, I've seen some pretty strange options, there's a guy in Arizona who apparently puts 1200cc. VW engines in them.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-24          64722

LOL, yeah but no one but you would know that unless we have some other French canadians. How about tentfrites ? Ok, one thing I love about you guys is your potatoe chip fetish. Canadians LOVE potatoes. Where else can you buy fries on the beach or get ketchup or dill pickle flavored chips ? Maybe I should have chose Culdesac so you could just shake the bottom of the bag clean every now and then . :) (or pop it). I have ruled out the club car because the aluminum frame has to be cut to install a proper lift. The EZGO is less than the yamaha as are the parts BUT I like the ride on the Yamohaha better plus its 11hp. Theres a lot to be said for the reliability of a single thumper. On the lift kits there is a endless wave of choices. The company that art chose uses blocks to get a lift or at least the ones I saw on their site are. The other type I am seeing is completely new front axle, A frame, Tie rods and shock mounts. About the same price. Even thought the one for 3k seems a good value I am a little leary as I cant see the components or quality of the lift. I would rather do my own work. Dave ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-24          64726

Dave, you forgot about the truly French-Canadian culinary masterpeice called "poutine", which is apparently Quebcois for "heart attack waiting to happen". French fries covered in cheese curds and gravy ... mmmmmm, pass the ketchup.

As for the cart, I always subscribed to the "I built it myself, I know what's in it & if it breaks it's nobodys fault but my own." theory.

Go for the replacement axle, etc., the geometry doesn't work right with just lift blocks, and the blocks are not as likely to last if you take on rough country regularly.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-24          64730

No no No. Heart attack on a plate is alfredo. eggs, butter. creme, pasta, a little sheelfish and bottle of crisp white wine. I agree with you on the lift kits. Especially iof you are going to tear down the front end I would want to replace the bushings in the king pins if their are any. Now this will really tax my french, vocabulary, memory and typing skills but see if you make any sense out of this one murf......Plus ca chance plus cest ca mems chose. Dave ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-24          64742

The kit for the larger lift or one with the frame pieces was about the same as for the tires and the lift kit. I'm still trying to figure out how much I need. We have a ton of golf coarses in our area but nobody has been playing with these in our area. I hope to use this one for a bit and if need be I'll find another cart and make it different if I still feel I have a need. Art ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-24          64743

The kit for the larger lift or one with the frame pieces was about the same as for the tires and the lift kit. I'm still trying to figure out how much I need. We have a ton of golf coarses in our area but nobody has been playing with these in our area. I hope to use this one for a bit and if need be I'll find another cart and make it different if I still feel I have a need. Art ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-24          64756

I think the old style yamaha kit I was looking at with all of the frame pieces was 350 ish and the block type was 275 ?? The other on line store that has parts is golfcarcatalogdotcom. When you buy the lift kit with tires and rims thery discount 10%. The lift with steel wheels and the biggest tyires is like 575. Art are you guys selling the club car buggies ? how much do those puppys cost ? Dave ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-24          64771

Dave, we are not dealers just got a bug the other day and bought one instead of a four wheeler. The lift kit I got with tires was around 300. That is why I got it as I thought it was a good place to start and a good price. The 7" lift kit sold for about what I paid for the tires and lift kit. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-25          64802

Art I was referring to the CUB CADET as a dealer. I thought that was what you were talking about in a previous post. Their new utility vehicles. Arent they like 6k in 4x4 ? I was looking at mules as I ponder all of this stuff. A abused used mule is 5k ish. They do make a Mule with just the same Kawasaki Golf cart engine in it that Club Car uses. Its $5800. I guess by that measure fixing one of theese carts up is a true bargain. I'd like to know how you like your lift kit once you get it on. If it was difficult to install etc. I went back and looked at the lift kits and I did miss that yours came with the tires so indeed it is half the price of the other system. The Best price I am finding so far is arouund $1450 on a 93 Yamaha in good shape. With the lift you bought and a klight kit I would be under 2k which is what peaked my interest in this in the first place. Dave ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-25          64851

Sorry Dave, we are Cadet dealers. They have got a great utility veichle and I think it is going to be a good seller overall. I don't know if I made the right desision on what I bought but I'm hoping so. I feel that I can at least get my money back out of it if it doesn't work. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-26          64943

Well after driveing all day I took the plunge. First I went to Toledo to look at 98 EZGOS for $2000 that were not worth $20. JUNK. Then I drove to Lansing or actually Eaton Rapids. Found the best dealer I've looked at with many nice clean cars. They had '98 EZGO's for $2150 but they were in excellent shape. Green/tan, newer tires new battery, serviced, new filters and a 90 day warranty. I bought one that had been lifted with the Factory 8" lift kit, New front axles, new shocks, tie rods, 4 leaf rear springs etc with the monster mudder type tires and steel wheels. Also got a P/U style bed. $3250 plus tax. By far the best deal I've seen. They had many to drive and a nice place to try them out. I've gotta haul the tractor north tomorrow as my long awaited deer blind is supposed to be here from Texas on Sunday. My wood splitter is scheduled to arrive this week so hopefully next weekend I will get to haul the EZGO and the splitter north. It seems I've been capitulateing all summer and everythings here at once ! Includeing all the work I'm behind on. I'm sure I'll be splitting wood while the boss is out trail rideing on her new toy. At least I WILL have my tractor back. evansgolfcars dot com Dave ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-09-26          64946

Weeeelllll Dave, I went the other way today. I have been researching a project for work that involves purchasing two ATVs for equipment mounting and while doing so took advantage of the circumstance to dicker price for myself. I never thought I would want a four wheeler, but once I saw what they can do was sold on one. I checked every brand available in this area for price, specs and overall quality. Came up with this scenario but I am sure many will differ in opinion;

Kawasaki-extremely high quality and would be my choice for a mud machine.

Yamaha,Honda-good quality but some disadvantages

Polaris-Good quality American machine, don't like the grill design but overall very functional/heavy.

Bombardier-needs to catch up in some respects (fit and finish). I like the walk through design but it was not available in the model I wanted. They still have some without full floor boards. The plastic used to comprise the body on the ones sitting outside was all faded.

Arctic Cat-Good quality American machine. Probably not the fastest or most advanced ie: electronic devices but built like a tank, great work machine.

Bought Cat for myself, great deal on 2003 left over from one of my favorite dealers. What sold me is the frame that encompasses the entire machine, including the hitch. Without fail, every other brand I looked at fastened the hitch to either the suspension components or the cast aluminum differential housing. They then rate to tow 1000# plus, I remember seeing pictures on another site of compact tractors with aluminum housings broken out from three point hitch use, no way do I want that. I intend to tow my 900# roller as well as my yard trailer with the machine, don't want it hooked to an aluminum differential. The Cat's frame runs to the back of the machine and supports the hitch.

I have about 2k more than what you have in the golf cart though! ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-27          64950

Sounds Like you got just what you needed. I spent about 1k more than I wanted to but the difference in carts that were lifted was so great that I just decided to get one all done. I'll post a pic on Manday. I only could have saved about $100 by doing it myself...If I didnt screw something up or need some new tool. I dont know much about the Cats as I was always a Ski Doo Fan. lol. But it seems pulling that much would have been taxing a cart. I just wanted something fo my wife so I could have my tractor back. The most it will haul is a chainsaw and fuel with drinks so I'm sure it will serve us well. I stopped in Cabelas along the way and picked up a new Marlin 44 mag. I've had the new cowboy gun with the 20" octagon barrel on order for several months. Apparently they are not going to put those in production this year so I settled for the 20" round barrel. How big is the cat ? 4x4 ? Dave ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-09-27          64957

It sounds as though you got just what you needed too Dave! Are you going to do a flame paint job on it as well :> Some pretty imaginative schemes on the web for those.

It is a 500 automatic. Cat uses the water cooled Suzuki engine, but quite honestly I would have preferred an air cooled. The smaller models have oil coolers with fan assist and no coolant to have to worry about but you have no choice with the larger units. 360cc in the Kawasaki model is the largest I found without liquid cooling, but perhaps I am concerned about nothing.

That 36o Kawasaki is an all around sweet machine and aside from the tow hitch being fastened to the rear differential has some very impressive features. It was also within a couple hundred dollars of the 500 Cat. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-27          64998

Dave, Cutter, nice machines! It sounds like some money has been being passed around here this past week. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-09-28          65004

It was a compromise for me Art. Once I saw what a four wheeler could do I gave up a bit of passenger room but there is still room enough for the wife to sit in back of me if she wants to tag along. With the rack system there is enough carrying capacity to load it with tools and I have a small yard trailer I can tow for bigger jobs. Besides, everything is new so hopefully there will be no repair bills or modifications necessary for a long time.

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-10-01          65216

I had the fun buggy out for about an hour. I was truelly impressed with what it can do. Photo # 9 is up but not the best. I have to gather all the help I can this weekend to set up this deer blind but If I have time I will try to get a better photo of it in the mudd or something good like running from a black bear. lol. Dave ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-10-01          65242

Nice looking machine! I like the garage as well, looks as though you may have room for some more toys as well :> ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-10-01          65267

Theres usually not nearly enough room in the garage. I had a log splitter arrive from northern Tool today so now theres even less. I have to tote this stuff up north this weekend. Is it just my imagination or did the photo size here get even smaller ? After loading photos 3x the size on the other site theese seem really small. But at least they remain a part of your profile which is nice. Dave ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-10-03          65395

Dave,

The Pictures you posted are about 11k in size. You are actually allowed to have Pix up to 30k (3 times bigger than you posted), and secretly I have boosted that to about 40k to accommodate wide formats, I calculate pix size based on a load formula, as I cannot tell the size before hand, that's why some pix that are kind of big get truncated, so you are better off staying close to the 30k limit if at all possible.

If you are following my howto you can experiment with different settings and check the filesize in File Explorer in windows before you load it. The howto uses MSPaint as most everyone has it, there are many other image editing products on the Market that can do the same thing, and usually better.

Dennis
TractorPoint ....

View my Photos
cutter

2004-03-22          80778

Are there any updates on the golf cart escapades? The four wheeler was handy enough but not a real go getter in the snow. That is once it got over two feet deep :> The last of the several feet we had developed a crust and I was riding around on top of it prior to the thaw.

The wife had a fit the first time I zipped her across the front yard over to the restaurant for her Friday fish. Hasn't been on it since. Really has been handy, carrying my "stuff" back and forth to the barn. Stopped at Gander Mountain and checked out all the options, love that four point cage that can carry a ladder! How is your Yamaha coming along Art! ....

View my Photos
crunch

2007-08-20          144863

Just picked up a 1999 electric Club Cart with new batteries for $1500. We have been having a ball with it. Comes in use for looking after neighbors houses during vacation season, going up and down our hill to the lower yard all the time, drumming up business for neighborhood parties. It has become my wife's main toy. I strapped an empty beer keg on the back one day just for effect. It fit really well ;) ....

View my Photos
treeman

2007-11-27          148772

Being that I try to get by as cheap as I can, I was driving everything and looking for a great deal. Overall I liked the Kubota RTV the best but the price was too much. Then I found a low hour unit with a $3k discount and I bought it. I soon forgot how much I paid for it because it gives me the biggest smile whenever I use it. The power steering and hydralic dump makes a big difference. When I pull my 25ton woodsplitter around I can't even tell it's there. I love it. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2007-11-27          148776

Wow! I can't believe my old thread is still banging away. I wish I had bought the Kubota, in fact I wish everything I own ran on oil. ....

View my Photos
lot0210

2007-12-11          149225

I use a 2005 cushman turf truckster at work they have 1 passenger seat and come with all sorts of goodies and move through some tough terrain wit loads of cargo space and can haul 2000 some lbs here is a link hope this helps.
http://jacobsengolf.com/products/truckster_attachments/
while on the site check out the jacobsen haulers basicly gas golf carts with good hauling capacity up to 1200 lbs ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-12-11          149227

This spot sure did get enough comments or did it? The Yamaha is still the way I put it together but needing a little more refinement.
I used Buggies Unlimited and there four inch lift kit is limited! The front tie rods have to be centered perfect or they are only by a thread. The bad thing is that the original tires weren't enough clearence in some stream beds so I went bigger. But a little to big and need to raise the rear about a 1-1/2" to keep them from rubbing. I have only changed the oil but it is do for at least a new belt. I doubt if it will do twenty maybe twenty five now on the road. Still barely a tank a year for gas! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login