Go Bottom Go Bottom

Seed and Fertilizer Spreader for ATV

View my Photos
dkheckmanl
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-01-06          188610

I want to buy a seed/fertilizer spreader for my Honda Rancher ATV. I would like to keep the cost under 250.00. Would prefer to have a mounted one but would consider a pull behind. Has anybody had a good experience with either one of these types of spreaders?

Dave in Idaho

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-01-09          188632

Sort of surprise no one has replied on this and I have not used a spreader for an atv but some thoughts.

One on the atv uses a 12 volt motor for the spreading while think all the pull type uses the pulling to do the spinning for spreading.

The 12 volt motor should give more consistent spreading and of course is more easy to drive with and back up with. Then the pull type most likely has larger capacity and might spread wider if at decent speed. It also will not load down the atv with the weight like one mounted on it can. One thing to consider on the pull one is how you control it being open for spreading. Does it have cable you have on the atv or must you reach a lever on the spreader to open and close the gate on it. Also will be need to be able to back up for turning around or will be running a long distance with the spreader attached? If so you will put a lot of wear on a pull type. Hope that helps. kt ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2014-01-10          188638

We had two different types, both John Deere. Deere likely costs a bit more, but we had both spreaders for 20+ years, and with good cleanup they looked like new and brought new price when we had our sale last fall.
The first was a two wheel trailer type with a ground driven spinner. It was Ok for bulky material like fertilizer or lime, but not the best for seed.
The second was also a trailer type with a row of star shaped wheels about two inches apart that would lightly incorporate the seed in loose soil. The seed metering system was much more accurate than a spinner type. It could also be used for fertilizer, but not lime. I did however only use it once for fertilizer, it had too many places that granules of fertilizer can hide in and sooner than you think start rusting things out, I wouldn't recommend this machine for fertilizer.

Frank ....

View my Photos
dkheckmanl

2014-01-15          188672

Frank,

I am looking primarily for a seeder and I like that second spreader you described. I wonder if JD still makes it or if they make any small spreaders at all. I know the local JD dealer does not carry any. I did not ask if they could order one but I will do that tomorrow. Thanks to you and the others for replying to my question.

Dave ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-01-15          188673

I think you should look at the Herd Model GT-77 for ATVs, or Lawnmowers. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2014-01-15          188674

Should be great but price is more than your budget I think ....

Picture Link
Utility Vehicles UTV/ATV Seed and Fertilizer Spreader for ATV

View my Photos
hardwood

2014-01-15          188676

Dave;

Most all of the farm supply stores like TSC will have a spreader very similar to the one you liked and sometimes but not always less expensive than Deere. A lot of the smaller equipment that Deere sells now is branded Frontier, check the Deere website for lawn equipment.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
dkheckmanl

2014-01-16          188689

Thanks Dennis for the tip on the Herd spreader. I prefer a spreader mounted on my atv over a pull type. The Herd is the only atv mounted one I have found that has a agitator to keep seed or fertilizer from bridging as it flows out. They are spendy but probably worth the extra money. ....

View my Photos
gendoc1

2014-01-18          188699

I purchased mine from a local feed store about 3 years ago I think its a wildgame inovations manufacture...not sure and its not with me now so I cant look.
anyway, it has worked well fert'n & plant'n over 25 food plots we hunt. works on 12volts cost new was $159 on sale during high-heat off season.

I think the secret to lifetime of this type spreader is to keep it clean from dust and fine debri from the products you use.

I clean mine after every plot and when storing.

its plastic and cheap... but with care it can last

good luck ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login