Go Bottom Go Bottom

Arctic Cat Snowmobile Fuel Problem

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-05          101652

I realize this is an ATV topic, but I know many of the engines are the same and thought perhaps someone might know the answer.

My son has a 600 Arctic Cat, about three years old. It has a twin cylinder Suzuki, fuel injected engine. He has ridden it very little, it primarily sits in my garage. He did not start it all summer as opposed to previous years and now he claims there is no fuel supply. The dealer tells him he needs to spend $300 on a fuel pump. I looked in the tank and can see it, and wonder if it could have become stuck from lack of use.

I know very little about these newer machines, but there must be a way to wire them and test while in the tank. Looks like a fuel line exits under the handle bars and connects to the injection. Not sure where to look for the wiring for it. If it is simply stuck, I should be able to rap on it and get it going. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-05          101660

Did you use any stabil in it? I hope so. They do tend to draw down out of season but I don't know how he would know without looking. Sray a small burst of WD 40 into the carbs and see if it will fire. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2004-12-05          101669

Art,

This is the new generation. Although five years in the navy, not necessarily prone to preventative medicine as you and I might be. It fired with gas poured into the intake, it is fuel injected so no carb. I am a bit apprehensive about it, the last sled I owned was a 433 Yamaha with two carbs. Hot at the time and I knew how to fix the darned thing!

Thanks Art! ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-12-05          101671

This motor is a "batteryless" EFI. One pull of the rope to charge capacitors to power the pump, the second pull should start it. The pump or capacitors are probably bad. I never owned one of these but know people who did. When they work, they're great. When they don't, they're expensive. :( ....

View my Photos
cutter

2004-12-06          101684

Thanks for the advise. Next time he stops home, I am going to pull the line and have him crank it. I am assuming no fuel will emerge. It does run if primed, would that eliminate the capacitors?

View my Photos
Art White

2004-12-06          101685

I've still got the old carburators on mine and if I don't start it regularly it does take far more then three pulls to start. When dry I believe it is 17 pulls to start in order to get gas back up to the carbs and full. I try to start mine every month when out of season as to pull a 800 triple more then 5 times is enough for me. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2004-12-06          101687

I know what you mean Art! I have rotor cup problems in both arms but primarily in the right. If I am careful I can do most anything but when I abuse it I am in pain for a time. Pulling on a rope too much really strains it, that is why I am waiting for the boy to stop here before trying it.

If you recall, last winter I posted a question about my brother in law's snow blower. I made the mistake of yanking on that rope too much while working on it, ouch.

I changed the oil in my Arctic Cat 500 ATV yesterday. That fill plug is in such a terrible spot and made of plastic. I have had it out twice and it is already destroyed due to it being so tight in the casting. I can't believe it is supposed to be that way, calling the dealer today.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login