Steiner and Ventrac Articulated 4WD Tractors 
: Articulated Tractors  -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum and Review Steiner and Ventrac Articulated 4WD Tractors : Articulated Tractors -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Articulated Tractors Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 03-15-1999, 00:00 Post: 1736
Jack in IL

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User

I am surprised to find little discussion related to Steiner articulated 4WD Turf Tractors and attachments. (Website http://steinerturf.com). It is manufactured in Dalton, OH, and has undergone several updates over the past 25 years. There is a new similar unit also now on the market--the Ventrac 4000. (Website http://venturepro.com). These tractors are miniaturized (20-25hp) versions of large agricultural center-articulated 4WD tractors. When equipped with front and rear dual wheels these units are capable of operation on steeper slopes than typical compacts, garden tractors, or turf mowers. They also can operate numerous attachments quickly coupled to the front. These units are rugged and often used by commercial groundscare professionals as well as by homeowners with difficult turf conditions. I am a very satisfied owner (Steiner) and would be pleased to respond to questions not covered in the Website listed above. I am not a dealer nor connected in any way with these companies. I also own a JD4100 and am delighted with both of my tractors. Each serves a different need.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

03-16-1999, 00:00 Post: 1746
Keith Boyd

Lucky you.

04-09-1999, 00:00 Post: 2633
Will Mlott

Hey Keith I work as a groundsman at Alfred State College. We have 4 Steiners. One of which I run all summer mowing what should be called cliffs,(60 degree or better). I also recently purchased a 1985 for my landscape bussiness. The college has had a lot of trouble with the rear hydraulic pumps going bad on us. We get told that we aren't shifting both axles into the same range but I don't buy this as the problem. You don't rack up 500 or more hours with a machine and forget something like that. Heard anything about this or had any problems yourself? If not start whatching. Our 1997 just went down with this problem! Also a word of warning, a steiner will roll under the right circumstances, take this from someone who had it happen to him!!

01-19-2000, 00:00 Post: 12116
Ricky

Steiner-and-Ventrac-Articulated-4WD-Tractors-

Have you tried the Ventrac 4000 with the 31 HP Vanguard it's a powerhouse also VERY stable on the hills even w/o duals

Link:   Ventrac 
Picture Link
Articulated Tractors: Steiner-and-Ventrac-Articulated-4WD-Tractors-

02-18-2000, 00:00 Post: 12943
Jim Hutchins

Filter by User

Hey guys when did ventrac go to 31 hp gas? I heard that ventrac was having some big problems with there diesel engines and alot of units were recalled, did you here this also? I tried out both and they both have very good climbing ability and the attachments on the steiner blow my mind. The ventrac scares me with only 6 quarts of oil in hydro pumps. This does not seem like enough. My local dealer sells steiner and they said steiner is coming out with yet another tractor with a dumpbed on back and most all attachments fit on front

02-18-2000, 00:00 Post: 12950
ERNEST MATSON

I have been thinking about purchasing a steiner tractor model 420 or 430 . would it be better to go with a gas or diesel engine and would you recommend the dual wheels. where i will be mowing is rather steep 15-30% grade. any advice or comments would be appreciated.

02-19-2000, 00:00 Post: 12956
turfman

check out another unit called a power-trac. this is really a rugged unit. i have driven one and it too has an amazing number of attachments. one model is capable of mowing a 45 degree slope. just another option.

02-19-2000, 00:00 Post: 12961
Jack in IL

Filter by User

I have had 420s with the Onan engine and now have a 430 with the Kubota Gasoline engine. The Kubota Gasoline actually produces more power than the Kubota Diesels that Steiner uses which is why I made the choice. The Kubota Gasoline in current production is a 25 HP version whereas it was 22 on early production models. I have been informed by dealers that the diesel used in the 420s was very weak in comparison to the Onan. I think duals are essential for steep hill operations. I have many areas of slopes of 25 degrees (47% grade) and one area with a 30 degree slope (58% grade) that I mow very comfortably with duals. I only remove the duals for snowblade work in the winter. If your are operating a lot of other Diesel equipment, then that in itself might be a reason to get a Steiner 430 Diesel. Otherwise, I would recommend a 25 HP gasoline version.

02-19-2000, 00:00 Post: 12962
Jack in IL

Filter by User

The Ventrac Brochure I obtained at a Farm Show last September lists available engines as: Vanguard Gasoline at 31 HP, Vanguard Diesel at 26.5 HP, Kubota Gasoline at 23.8 HP, Vanguard Diesel at 23.6 HP, and Kawasaki Gasoline and 22 HP. The Mitsubishi Diesel is no longer on the list.

02-20-2000, 00:00 Post: 12988
Jim Hutchins

Filter by User

I like the gas engines for the power but not the consumption of gas that it will burn. We had kohler 22's and 25's on the steiner and 4 hours tops with running wide open was all you could get off of 5 gallons of gas. The onan was about 4.5 hrs on a tank. Plus the diesel engine is 3,000 to 3,500.00 more. I don't see that much of a difference in power for the money. We have never used duals on the steiner unless we used our boom mower, it climbs anything you can walk up!!! I have not tried out the ventrac yet. This product is still to new and is hitting the market to fast. I'm also always looking for another steiner dead or alive.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Articulated Tractors Forum

Thread 1736 Filter by Poster:
BobA in Ohio 1 | Bryan 1 | doggman 4 | ERNEST MATSON 1 | G in Ohio 2 | gchanb 1 | Jack in IL 5 | Jim Hutchins 7 | Keith Boyd 1 | Mike 4 | Mike Herman 2 | pequeajim 5 | Richard Harburn 5 | Ricky 1 | Stan R. 2 | turfman 1 | Will Mlott 1 |

Most Viewed

+ ZETOR ZEBRA 2040 4WD Reviews Buying Info
+ Steiner and Ventrac Articulated 4WD Tractors
+ Power trac
+ For sale steiner 430 max 25hp
+ Ventrac or Steiner?
+ Steiner Loader for sale
+ R400 Kubota problems
+ Power-Trac
+ Steiner Snowblower
+ Steiner Question

Most Discussion

+ ZETOR ZEBRA 2040 4WD Reviews B
+ Steiner and Ventrac Articulate
+ Power trac
+ Interchangeable Wheel/Track -
+ Power-Trac
+ Steiner Question
+ NH TC40D vs. JD 4400
+ kubota are junk
+ Becoming A Dealer
+ For sale steiner 430 max 25hp

Newest Topics

+ S no problem
+ Zetor zebra 2040
+ Steiner Rough cut 66 mower
+ lift arms dont work IH444
+ Steiner Tiller For Sale
+ Thoughts on a Farmall 4366
+ Steiner 430max belt problems
+ New Steiner 440 Model Review
+ Looking for a used Steiner mower for sale.
+ Steiner Utilimax

Turbochargers for Tractors and Industrial Machines
Cab Glass for Tractors and Industrial Machines

Alternators for Tractors and Industrial Machines
Radiators for Tractors and Industrial Machines

Driveline Components for Tractors and Industrial Machines
Starter Motors for Tractors and Industrial Machines