Go Bottom Go Bottom

Yanmar 1510D Overheating

View my Photos
Ralph Shaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-03-22          51629

The temp guage lights up on my Yanmar 1510D after about 10 minutes of light duty work. When I feel the top hose, it doesn't really feel that hot. Should I ignore or panic?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Yanmar 1510D Overheating

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-22          51630

Have you checked your water level in the rad? No water no heat in hose.
I would check the electrical connections to the heat sensor etc. Also check the temperature on the block near the senor.

Yanmar 1510D Overheating

View my Photos
Ralph Shaffer

2003-03-22          51647

Radiator is full to brim, overflow tank is half full. Thank you for your response. What do I do to register temp of the block near the sensor? ....

Yanmar 1510D Overheating

View my Photos
lsheaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-22          51652

If the hose is not hot , I'd suspect a bad sending unit. I can supply you with them if you need one. ....

Yanmar 1510D Overheating

View my Photos
TomG

2003-03-23          51663

Testing procedures for my Ford (with a gauge) is to check for 12V at the gauge and then remove the lead at the sensor and touch it to ground. The gauge should go from cold to full temperature. If it does the sensor is replaced, if it doesn't the gauge is replaced. Maybe somebody knows enough about Yanmar electrics to say if my Ford procedures can be adapted for the Yanmar. ....

Yanmar 1510D Overheating

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-03-23          51716

Guys, I think that this may be a case of missing the obvious. How about the thermostat? A malfunctioning thermostat would cause the exact symptoms listed. ....

Yanmar 1510D Overheating

View my Photos
lsheaffer

2003-03-23          51726

It is obviously not a malfunctioning thermostat since the YM1510 doesn't have one. ....

Yanmar 1510D Overheating

View my Photos
bruce1966us

2003-03-23          51727

Len is correct.

Thanks,
Bruce ....

Yanmar 1510D Overheating

View my Photos
TomG

2003-03-24          51736

I've got to plead guilty here. I didn't know they don't have thermostats either. Unlike MarkL, I simply missed an obvious explanation. Good thing there's always somebody around to fill in the specifics.

It used to be common practice to take out thermostats during the summer. Mostly on 50's and earlier Fords where the cooling systems never seemed to be up to the job--particularly on hot days and in high altitudes. Far as I know, it never cured over-heating problems but it might take a little longer to over heat, which of course might get you over a Colorado mountain pass. Some people said taking the thermostat out actually made an engine run hotter. With unrestricted flow, coolant may not stick around as long in water jackets or the rad. Don't know about that idea though. another obvious idea I missed is to blow out the rad screen.

Yanmar 1510D Overheating

View my Photos
Ralph Shaffer

2003-03-28          52035

Today is the day of reconing.Or reconditioning. I'm going to boil out the radiator, then see what happens. I have already discovered that the outside of the radiator was about 30% blocked with mud. Maybe this thing got too deep in the rice paddy. I appreciate all your comments,especially the ones about the thermostat since I looked all over for the thing. ....

Yanmar 1510D Overheating

View my Photos
greybeard

2003-05-29          55905

My Yanmar 1700 seems to be overheating... at least the idiot light comes on. Initially, I thought I had an oil pressure prob but the three idiot lights were placed ion the lens backward (!) The radiator is full and the overflow is about 1/2 full. The top hose gets hot but the overflow remains cool.
any suggestions before i pull the radiator and take it down to be cleaned? Also, can I add an automotive type temp gauge?
thanks!

Yanmar 1510D Overheating

View my Photos
Big Dave

2003-05-29          55912

I have had chronic overheating problems with my Yanmar 1510, until I finally got sick of it and tore into the thing. Turns out the water pump impeller was severly eroded and the radiator needed to be boiled out. After I rebuilt the water pump and cleaned up the radiator it has not overheated since. At lease its easy to work on... ....

Yanmar 1510D Overheating

View my Photos
lsheaffer

2003-06-01          56141

There is a good possibility that the sending unit is bad. ....

Yanmar 1510D Overheating

View my Photos
TomG

2003-06-02          56235

Diesels that are over-heated usually make black exhaust smoke. I don't know if that idea is reliable enough to tell if the problem is heat or faulty electricals.

My Ford repair manual does give a resistance test for the sending unit but danged if I can find it. However, there's no guaranty that the sending unit for my gauge system would even be similar. I'd clean all contacts and check for a good ground though.

Warm upper hose and cold lower is the usual condition and means the rad is working and the thermostat (if it has one) is passing at least some coolant. Still doesn't mean the coolant coming out of the engine isn't too hot. I can't recall if these tractors have a thermostat but that might be good to check as well as making sure the rad is clean.

People sometimes check the temperature of the coolant with a thermometer through the rad cap. The readings are usually low but if the temp is high in the rad top is almost certainly is higher at the engine outlet where the sending unit is.

The main problem with fitting an automotive type gauge is finding one that is weatherproof. The sending unit also would have to be calibrated for the particular gauge.

Yanmar 1510D Overheating

View my Photos
bubbadoc

2003-07-14          59497

Finally resolved-- I went to an old-time autoparts place and got a new sending unit (also fits a honda civic). Now the only time we overheat is when I get seed pods jammed into the radiator screen enough to stop the air flow. Thank you everyone for your time. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login