Go Bottom Go Bottom

yanmar etc

View my Photos
John Shade
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-04-19          14928

Any opionions on the relibility of Yanmar tractors or any of the Chinese makes?Are they good units to buy? What should I look for?I'm looking into a 3810D w/loader that the dealer is asking $9995 &/or a 2010D for $6000. I do not know the year or hours yet.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

yanmar etc

View my Photos
Keith Daniels

2000-04-19          14943

I have a 2500 Yanmar and I am pleased with it,overall.I have had a few problems with it,one possibly major so far,but I think I have that fixed.Parts have not been a big problem,although I haven't needed anything but filters (I get them from NAPA)If you buy one,by all means,get a warranty!!! It might not be for 5 yrs/50000 miles,but in six months you will find out if there is anything wrong with it.If you want more info from someone who has been there,done that email me and we'll talk.
As for the Chinese machines I can't find ANYONE who thinks they are a good bet.Ask around you'll see...

Keith
Picayune,MS ....

yanmar etc

View my Photos
Jerri Neese

2000-04-20          14964

Let me throw in my 2 cents worth. You asked about Yanmars and Chinese. That is sort of like comparing a Yugo to a Ford Focus...really no comparison. Yanmar is a Japanese grey market tractor of which there are also Mitsubishi, Iseki, Shibaru, Hinomoto and others. These tractors typically are the same or similar to their relabeled cousins, Iseki/Hinomoto-MF, Shibaru-New Holland, Yamar-John Deere, Mitsubishi-IH. The down side to these are they are the unwanted cousins, the US labeled dealers will not typically want to help you. So as is so often said, even with grey markets, find a good dealer who will help. Because they are used and sort of off brand you can save some, typically 65 to 75% of US version of the same tractor. Back to Chinese, the debate still rages on and there appears yet to be no clear consensus that they are of a par to the Japanese tractors. They are cheap, comparatively speaking, but not yet proven. ....

yanmar etc

View my Photos
lsheaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-04-20          14972

There are a lot of Yanmars that are not grey market tractors. I wouldn't put Yanmar in the same class as the other greys when it comes to parts. Yanmar is the only company that has a US company parts depot with a dealer network & parts are readibly available. The Chinese tractor companies can not meet the EPA Cleaner Regulations, so the # of Chinese brand tractors being sold in the US is going to be limited. The Chinese tractors are older, cruder technology. There doesn't seem to be a lot of stability in the Chinese tractors. A company , such as Rhino, sells alot of tractors & then disappears to reappear later as a different brand of tractors. They are a cheaper priced tractor, because they are a cheaper quality tractor. I may be biased , because I'm a Yanmar dealer. But when I got into this business I didn't know a Yanmar from any other brand & these are some the reasons I ended up specializing in Yanmars. ....

yanmar etc

View my Photos
John Shade

2000-04-20          14978

Thank you for the info on the Yanmar. I like what I've seen in them so far. I am concerned that a Yanmar parts dealer near me says that he will work on the older USA models but will cannot provide parts or service for the gray market tractors. I'm by no means a mechanic & don't want stuck trying to find someone to work on it if I have a major problem. The normal service stuff I can take care of & those kind of parts don't seem to be difficult to get ahold of. Who makes the Allied line of tractors? Any opinion on them? ....

yanmar etc

View my Photos
CaseyR

2000-04-20          14979

There are at least two message boards dedicated to Yanmar tractors. The most active is at http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/yanmartractorownersgroup There are a couple of dealers who are listed on the board who can supply parts (and advice) for the grey market Yanmars. ....

Link:   Yanmar Owners Group

yanmar etc

View my Photos
Jerry Ausburn

2000-04-24          15044

I am looking for an owner's manual for a 165 Yanmar tractor. The John Deere dealers in this area do not like to help you. I have recently purchased this two year old tractor second hand. I get oil filters from NAPA. But, need to also know how to get other parts when needed. Can you help me. I live in the bootheel of Missouri near the Arkansas/Missouri state line. Thank you. ....

yanmar etc

View my Photos
Jerri Neese

2000-04-24          15046

You might try Len Sheaf in Illinois....815.284.3226 at sheaftractor@coiinc.com
or Affordable Equipment in South Carolina at http://www.affordableequipment.com
hope this helps...Jerri ....

yanmar etc

View my Photos
Mike Norton

2000-08-26          19138

There are not alot of Yanmar Dealers left. But I recently purchased a Yanmar 187D from a dealer in Michigan who still carries parts and still repairs them. We talked a great length about the Gray Market tractors and specifically about parts and service not being available (He will not service one, and wouldn't know how to get parts for one).

You however were smart to buy a Yanmar made specifically for the U.S. Market. If you can't find a dealer out where you are, I am sure that you could contact Rick Hodges @ Hodges Farm Equipment in Fenton, Michigan (Phone #810-629-6481).

He has ordered a manual for mine and is going to have it mailed to me (He said it would take 7-10 days).

Good Luck,

Mike ....

yanmar etc

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-08-26          19142

Like Mike says, there are not a whole lot of US Yanmar dealers left. But the ones that are seem to be a dedicated lot. In Denver there is a dealer who does Yanmar service for a wide area and sells used US models. He is well respected, but the prices are not cheap! The US Yanmar books -parts, owners, and workshop manual - are still available and are possibly the best manuals ever published for tractors. I collect a few tractor books and haven't seen any others that even come close. Most parts come from the US depot in a week or so, every once in awhile oddball parts take a couple of weeks. The US Yannmars were very good and way ahead of their time, and have somewhat of a cult status. Yanmar quit importing to the US as part of a business deal when they began to build compact tractors for JD. This business arrangement seems to be winding down as JD has found domestic manufacturers for their 4000 series tractors. Except the JD4100 - which I "think" is still 100% built by Yanmar.
The gray market Yanmars are said to be the best of the grays....from what I see that might be true, but I don't know much about them. The ones that I have seen are very modern in design, but have been used pretty hard. Their big advantage is sound engineering coupled with very low prices.

yanmar etc

View my Photos
lsheaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-08-26          19151

Yanmar dealers are not required to supply parts or service for grey market Yanmars. I do supply & service them . I have parts books available for the grey market tractors. Many areas have independant tractor mechanics that will work on many different brands , including Yanmars. If you need parts or manuals feel free to contact me at sheaftractor@coiinc.com or 815-284-3226. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login