Go Bottom Go Bottom

Bad hydraulic connectors--tell me it ain t so

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-06          159114

The saga continues about (or as Murf would say, aboot :P) the old wood splitter cylinder that I blew off the gland end. I thought it was cast iron but turned out to be cast steel, and I was able to arc weld it with 6013 rod.

I now have a standard out/in with-spring-cutout wood splitter-type valve setup instead of connecting it directly to the skid steer aux. hydraulics.

BUT, it's still locking up once it's fully extended and can't retract. I reconnected the hydraulic connectors (flat face-type) a couple times and still no go. Then I remembered the same hoses and connectors came off my hydraulic jackhammer which failed to work last time which is why I stole the hoses from it ("that'll learn it" as Kenny would say).

So now it looks like it's the flat-face connectors themselves. Can it be? They appear to be fairly straight forward looking from inside.

Has anyone taken these apart and know what to look for? Is one type male or female susceptible to failure than the other? I'm 100% sure it's not the skid steer connectors as I've run a snow plow and an auger off them with no problems.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-06          159115

Not sure we can learn you anything ole boy...

Funny timing, last evening tore apart not a flat face but the older style to see if I could fix a slow leak. The one I worked on was rather straight forward. Would think you will find your's to be also. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-01-06          159117

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 159114
So now it looks like it's the flat-face connectors themselves. Can it be? They appear to be fairly straight forward looking from inside. Has anyone taken these apart and know what to look for? Is one type male or female susceptible to failure than the other?

First, off, Jeff'ry ole son, they're $6 apiece, why in the heck would you even try? No spares in the shop, tool box, rolling around under the truck seat?

Secondly, try just swapping them between the two hoses, if the problem reverses you know the issue.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-06          159130

$6 Canadian? The exchange rate ain't THAT good!

Nooooo. These must be gold-plated.

Dealers 'roun' heah are proud of 'em; they're $56 EACH half from the NH dealer.

Yeah, I have several rolling around in the hydraulics box---but they got there 'cause they were bad for whatever reason (rusted/missing balls, external leakage, rusted collet springs from being in 'sippi salt mud). ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2009-01-06          159131

Earthwrks,

I have no idea what size hoses you have, but I hope to be able to save you some money on this project.

Check out the following Ebay link.

Joel ....

Link:   Hyd. QD coupler set

View my Photos
Murf

2009-01-06          159133

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 159130
Yeah, I have several rolling around in the hydraulics box---but they got there 'cause they were bad for whatever reason (rusted/missing balls, external leakage, rusted collet springs from being in 'sippi salt mud).

Ok, so let me get this straight, you already have several bad connectors that were bad and got replaced and you're asking if it's possible ann'udder one went bad? Jeff'ry ole son...... ya makes me wunder about sumat, how in da heck did they let you back north? LOL

Apologies one one small point though, my bad, you DID say FLAT-FACED coouplers. However, even those are only $20-$25 each. Since you say it's not the female half on the machine, it must be the male half on the line that is bad.

Swap them first and see if it changes the problem. If it does, it's the coupler, if it does, you're out $20.

Plus my fee for diagnosing the problem of course. LOL

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-06          159139

Well it looks like my local dealer won't be getting ANY of my hydraulic coupler business. Yes Murf they are in the price range you suggested as found at www.Messicks.com. Talk about a local dealer gouging---damn! Got me AGAIN! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-01-07          159163

Double it and add 15%, isn't that how you price jobs? LOL

Why should the dealer be any different? LOL

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-08          159200

Murf, whose side are you on anyway? :) ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-01-08          159217

EW, when you have to ask... ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-01-08          159225

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 159200
Murf, whose side are you on anyway?

The correct side. ;) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login