Go Bottom Go Bottom

Site Security and Privacy

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-09-27          97299

There was a post by me now deleted and maybe another that had nothing to do with tractors or the discussion where they were posted. They were comments made by me as part of a discussion on another site. I did not accidentally paste the content into this board's pop up reply window and send it. I remember wondering why the Tractor Point pop up reply appeared on my screen right after posting on the other board.

I may well have left a pop up reply window open while I went on to other things. However, it seems that under some conditions, the pop up window has the capacity to divert content from another board's reply window and post it here. The other board did not receive the post I sent using their reply window.

Seems like this is something everybody who participates here should be aware of.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-27          97303

I saw the post in question and figured out that it didn't below in that thread.

I am not sure that Dennis reads each and every post. It might be a good idea to send him an e-mail with the details.

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-28          97305

Mark and Tom,

I read alot of the posts on the board but not 100% of them, and I did not see the one that you are talking about, nor did I move or delete any of Tom's posts.

On Pop Up windows, it is common in web applications for Pop Up windows to either spawn themselves or to rewrite. So often a Popup from one site can sometimes reuse an existing window. This can surprise many users as they have lost track of what is where on occasion.

Dennis ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2004-09-28          97306

Tom,

On the other point in your message, Tractorpoint does not have any software to try and grab anything that you type on your PC and try to place it on Tractorpoint.

From my perpective it is pretty darn near impossible, and more importantly totally undesireable, and unacceptable.

I would be happy to hear the specifics of what you think you saw and explain this to you further as well.

Dennis ....

View my Photos
TomG

2004-09-28          97313

Dennis: I wouldn't believe the site has any such software either. Although my computer is conventionally well protected, who knows what is running and how they might interact. I do use the same screen name on both sites.

The other site I mentioned is the Guardian Unlimited, the site of a large British daily newspaper. I composed a post on their reply screen, copied it into MS Word for editing, recopied it back to the Guardian screen and posted it. The TractorPoint reply window popped up on my screen without any apparent action on my part. I later found that the post appeared on TractorPoint but not on the Guardian site. I think it's likely that I was going to post on TractorPoint but was distracted and left an empty pop up reply window open while posting on the Guardian.

Fortunately I do not post anything anywhere that I would not wish to be public. For myself, taking care to close unused TractorPoint reply windows is likely sufficient for my needs. ....

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-09-28          97315

Dennis:

Not exactly a posting problem but....

I renewed through PayPal, even had to pay $1.50 to get an extra security code for my credit card. Checking my email recently I found a message from PayPal that someone had tried to access my account for hundres of dollars! I have only used it this one time! Suggest you look into alternate more secure methods of payment.

PayPal is owned by EBay and I feel having a HUGE online business owning a 'secure' transaction provider reduces the security of both sites!

blizzard ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-09-28          97316

For those of us who do 'long distance' transactions, most people are unaware of all the 'special services' that the banks themselves offer these days.

The bank I deal with here in Canada for instance has a service where I can send money, in any currency I wish, to anyone with only their email address, the information, even if it got to the wrong person, would be useless since the only way to claim the money is to walk into a bank (smile, you're on CCTV) with proper ID to claim the cash.

Some of the credit card companies are also now offering 'secure transaction' systems, an interesting one I heard of recently was in conjunction with Western Union. You call your credit card company and they give you a user name & pin for a set amount of money. The recipient goes to the nearest WU office, shows ID and picks up the money, the name & PIN are then garbage to anyone else. Try as they may nothing more than that amount of money can be billed to your credit card.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
tractor123

2004-09-28          97317

Hi,

I had a bug get in my computer at one point that lasted shortly after I figured it out. It was taking everything I typed and putting it in every single kind of chat window I had recently opened on my screen. I don't know what caused it, but I ran some antivirus software, and Spybot found a huge amount of issues, so you might try that if you find your messages in the wrong window again :) ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2004-09-28          97321

Blizzard,

Paypal now offers the option of paying with either a Paypal account or without one using your credit card.

At the end of the payment process when not a Paypal member they ask if you wnat to become one at your option.

When you paid and were charged an additional fee were you using your PayPal account?

Dennis

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-09-28          97327

Dennis:
I did use my credit card through PayPal. The $1.50 was charged to my card account for the special security code before PayPal would accept it for payment to you. The code appeared in my snail-mail billing, so I was delayed in renewing my membership. PayPal offered no 'free' options in using my card. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2004-09-29          97363

Sounds like Tractor experienced what I did. I use Ad-alert rather than Spy-bot, and fairly regularly. I suppose it only takes one of those data miner things though. I'm not sure my computer will tolerate any more monitoring of traffic than it already has. I imagine that virus plus firewall monitoring already degrade performance.

I'll avoid a rant on the subject since everybody likely knows the words by heart. I believe I will take care to only leave one talk board at a time open. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login