Go Bottom Go Bottom

Diesel Light Aircraft Engines

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-30          81623

I saw a piece the other day in the discovery chanel about a diesel light aircraft engine they are developing in Europe. I was impressed with the performance. On something like a Long-EZ you would be near 200 mpg equivalent. Maybe we should dump the car.

Link:   wilksch diesel

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-30          81625

I beleve this it the FAA certified diesel engine. ....

Link:   Renault Engine

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-03-31          81662

I believe the Germans did the diesel thing back in the 30's but they were too heavy. Now, they may end up being too light. I dunno..but it's an interesting concept. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2004-03-31          81686

Some German bombers flew in the second world war with diesel engines. Their power to weight ratio was OK for transports but not for fighter applications. The idea of a piston diesel engine was put into the backshelf by the advent of the turbine and turboshaft engines.
With Av gas getting harder to find the light aviation diesel seems to be making a come back. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2004-04-01          81818

I found some info on the Junkers Jumo 205 engines. ....

Link:   Junkers 205

View my Photos
Peters

2006-01-31          123862

There is an interesting diesel engine being developed in England which is similar to the old Junkers design. Two horizontally opposed pistons in one cylinder. A 100 HP weighs only 200 lb. Anyone care to reengine their 4100? might be interesting at the tractor pulls. ....

Link:   New dieselair engine.

View my Photos
Peters

2006-01-31          123863

New American supplier!!! It will be 2 years before certification, but they appear to be selling engines for military drones. ....

Link:   Delta Hawk

View my Photos
Murf

2006-01-31          123865

Peters, as interesting as it sounds, I think commercial acceptance is a looooong way off still.

On the other hand, if I wanted to build a flying hot rod I think I would much prefer the M-14P rotary, 360 super-charged horses from a 9 cylinder radial, and only 2" wider than the 'regular' Lycoming mill, and it only weighs 470 pounds.

That is a power to weight ratio of 0.766hp per pound, which is 50% more than the diesel makes.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-01-31          123873

The Zoche radial diesels are better than that the ZO 02A is more like 1.10 Hp/lb.
Just a little hard to mount in your tractor or any other piece of equipment. ....

Link:   Zoche Diesel Radial

View my Photos
Murf

2006-02-01          123896

Peters, the Zoche is a good piece of engineering, no doubt, but I think if I'm going to bolt something in front of me that's supposed to keep my keester airborne and bring me back home I'll stick with the combat-proven design.

You can't buy the kind of field proving that engine has been through in all sorts of conditions.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-02-01          123897

Most of these engines are new/old technology. The Germans ran a lot of Junkers and the Japanese also had diesel engines in world war II. It will take some time for them to be accepted. I feel the engines in light aviation need to improve from 1940's technology or light aviation will die. Not many can afford to operate a plane now. As high octane gas be comes scarce and more expensive, it seem logical to work with Jet A in a diesel.

View my Photos
Murf

2006-02-01          123900

It's funny you mention that, I recently got some airtime (as a passenger) in two homebuilts.

One was powered by a Subaru engine, the other had a LS1, the all aluminum GM V-8 engine.

Both were very smooth and powerful. It does however take some getting used to hearing an open header V-8 in an airplane. LOL.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-02-01          123907

Because of excess speed at the prop tips, gas technology needs to use large engine displacements to produce the HP needed to keep the engine RPM below 3000 with direct drive to the prop. Gear reduction is a possibility but adds more weight. There was one Cessna model that used a higher engine RPM with gear reduction but I can't remember the model. It seems that a lightweight diesel would be just the ticket for aircraft application because it produces its HP and torque at lower RPMs. Plus there are no ignition system(s) to maintain.

Someone mentioned carb heating with gas engines. Could icing of the intake/injectors ever be a problem with diesel?
Dave ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2006-02-01          123910

The are definately comming. $5/gallon for aircraft gasoline will not sustain a market for very long.

This one (link below) is already certified in the new Diamond Twin Star and will soon be available (if not already) as STC in Cessna and Piper singles.

CMA (of France) maked a air-cooled flat six turbo diesel that will hit soon, too. ....

Link:   Turbo Diesel

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login