Go Bottom Go Bottom

Identity Theft

View my Photos
grinder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-15          74049

Just an observation:
I notice many of the members using their town and state,
as well as their full name. This puts you at a high risk
of Identity Theft and financial ruin.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Identity Theft

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-15          74050

Did you also know... Your phone # (if listed) can tell anyone who you are and give them a map to your front door?

Try it and see. Click on the link below and enter your 10 digit phone # and do a search. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Identity Theft

View my Photos
grinder

2004-01-15          74056

It is getting pretty bad, for $50 a name and address you can find out about anything.

Identity Theft

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2004-01-15          74057

I did not realize that you could search on a phone number. I tried mine and it came up with the right names, but it had the maps and zip code incorrect. That is fine with me. ....

Identity Theft

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-01-15          74058

Warning taken. You are right, but as Billy points out, there are many ways to zero in on someone.

I investigated and prosecuted many such cases. If someone is going to successfully pass themselves off as another they must have a full and correct name, a true date of birth and the correct SSN. If it all doesn't match it falls apart pretty quick.

Most criminals who establish secondary identities do so by obtaining a copy of a birth certificate of a person who died in childhood and they build their aliases from there by establishing new SSN's and then getting photo ID's.

I arrested one woman who had 8 different state ID cards, all with totally different information but the same picture on each.

They were all based on real (deceased) people in her age range. She was getting welfare under all eight names and had the birth certificates to establish three more ID's in her possession.

There is a serious risk out there but I think it has more to do with lost/stolen credit cards and receipts. ....

Identity Theft

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2004-01-15          74059

You can get the same info using www.anywho.com. Basically, if it's in a phonebook somewhere, then it's available to anyone. ....

Identity Theft

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2004-01-15          74068

I stopped putting my street address listing in the phonebook many, many years ago. If you look up my name, you will just get a town and zip. ....

Identity Theft

View my Photos
grinder

2004-01-15          74098

Mark
Would you agree that a SS# can be obtained with an address
and name? I'm thinking of a person using it to get a credit card? ....

Identity Theft

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-01-16          74137

Yes it can. Some states print the SSN right on the drivers license. if you lose you license or have you wallet stolen it's out there.

As an aside, long before I ever used my name on this forum it was all over the internet along with the town I lived in.

All you have to do is write a letter to the editor or get you picture in the paper or publish a wedding announcement or have a case go up before the Supreme Court. ....

Identity Theft

View my Photos
Murf

2004-01-16          74141

As an aside, and the result of WAY too much free time on my hands, I spent a few minutes with several of the address/telphone search engines.

Based on the names I see printed and the names I know behind the screen names, their locations, etc., I was unable to discover a single phone number or address.

Then again, maybe they just don't want us crazy Canucks to know.....

Best of luck. ....

Identity Theft

View my Photos
Billy

2004-01-16          74142

My wife works for a chainsaw plant. They hire a lot of Mexicans. These Mexicans have to have the proper papers to work there. Every once in a while, the Social Security Administration will call the plant and say "so and so is showing to have two sources of income at the same time". One income may be in Ohio and the other from Arkansas.

My point is, there's people out there that make a living selling identities.

Mark, on the SS# on the drivers license. Oklahoma just recently did away with that. And I just recently to my SS# off of my checks. ....

Identity Theft

View my Photos
grinder

2004-01-16          74194

Another source of ss# available to the public (here in Maine)is real estate transfers. We pay a transfer tax at
time of closing and the buyers and sellers numbers are
usually on the forms. A copy is sent to the town and are
considered public records. FYI

Suppose to go above 0 today!!
first time in a week! ....

Identity Theft

View my Photos
JLHall
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-19          88866

Ok here goes a jerry springer type horror story and some things i have learned from being a victim.

lets just go with what can happen and how it usually does.

ok you mess around and lose your id or get held up and its taken. most of the time when you are done its a good friend? or a family member or a significant other. not you losing it, its taken clandestine like.

i lost about 200k and all i had or will ever have to a lady i knew for over 15 years. it will almost always be someone close to you. even the florida dept. of law enforcement does not know who this gal really is. but she is out there again. looks good and is a master of fraud. and im the 3rd man and we all have the same damn name too! *twilight zone theme*

now you may fall victim to a script file that steals info such as a spyware proggie you d/l or get your machine port scanned for your hidden info. these are minor but if left unchecked will get to be a big problem

you should only keep as few as possible accts. and as mulder says "trust no-one" even if they share your bed. sorry but nothing is forever.

the federal trade commision and big 3 credit have much info on how to protect yourself.log on and look at their checklists. document everything and all contacts and their id number so when you file police report which you should do quickly, then you will have validity.

we have been schooled to not make inquiry to our credit files. you better at least every six months and look at it hard for activity that has went down. if you see something immmediately contact them and issue fraud alert and password your accts. if you dont you will be cooked. this promise you.

when you sign things be damn sure what they are and that there is no carbon or trace of your sig. GOT THAT!

any old documents that have your sig on them or any other info that you dont really need to keep. BURN stir BURN some more.

im an honest guy but with what i have had done to me and seen how easy it is. you can clean the adverage persons plate just from their tag number and info gathered on the net. i would never but its easy. even today after we have supposedly tightened security. its just b/s for the normal folks. its like, say they take all the guns. a criminal person will always have one. not a problem

this gal had 56 debit cards in my name! 1/3 i had to pay 1/3believed me after i proved it. and the others negotiated part payment.she sold all my livestock to my so called best friend and my boss. cast me into foreclosure and gave me a stroke.bear in mind we were not married and had no children she had skills or a support network to even alter databases on so called secure servers even in places like a courthouse!! *twilight zone theme again* i found 8 complete sets of id! just like mine or yours. socials, d/l's all of it including support docs. all perfect but for ficticious persons. phantoms if you will.

even the fdle task force agent told me she was best he had seen and he had pursured here for over 15 years. another john told me dont fret over the 200k that it was jsut a drop in the bucket compared to his loss! told me he is 67 years old and lives with his mother. damn!

so here i am no big farm no cows no goats no jd fel no savings 20% sight trying to figure what the hell happened and its all due to i/d theft by someone i cared for. do not think for one second it cant happen to you. if you do

she was what the law called a gypsy traveler.the good looking women con trusting men. the less than good gals work the carnivals
the men folk manage the gals or hustle old folks on repairs
of their homes or sealcoat driveways and such.

my best advice is to run a check on anyone you might suspect
no matter what it costs because it will be much less than what they get you for. run one and if you find even something small run 2 more. i dont care if it costs you 5k run it or you might be relocating to living in your tent.

i will help any of you who might need advice cause Lord knows i been there.

*removes "twilight zone" cd from player*

Identity Theft

View my Photos
cutter

2004-06-19          88873

Wow! You have no idea where she is? I would have to try and hunt her down if it took my last dime to do it. Once I found her I would have three hots and a cot courtesy of state correctional facility most likely.

My youngest son's ID was stolen from his beach bag while he was stationed in California. He was naive enough to think he could watch it while he was surfing. He always has to learn things the hard way that one.

Took him years to fix everything. We helped as best we could by phone but the Navy lawyer fixed most of it. There were credit purchases made, cell phones purchased and even a business opened using his ID. What surprised me is that the authorities never really went after the people that did these things. They had to have had addresses, especially for the business.

It is finally cleared up, he just purchased a home. BUT..he knows he needs to constantly check his TRW reports to note activity.

Sorry to hear you had such a terrible time. I don't know how you can deal with the anger. Did you say you were with this woman for 15 years or just knew her that long?

On the brighter side, even regular married folks have almost the same things happen when a relationship goes south. And most of it is legal! One unsuspecting spouse has all his/her bank accounts drained, huge credit card bills and then the dump job while the other half runs off with someone else. Seen that happen a number of times.

My niece married a great guy, him single for thirty some years and she is a tramp. A few short years ago he had a small ranch that was paid for, money in the bank and life was good. Now he has a huge new place, huge mortgage, she disappears for the night regularly, she drained his savings to buy drugs and ran up several credit cards to pay for them as well. He gets to work seven days a week to try and prevent foreclosure. I believe he is building a case to take custody his two small children and get rid of her. Hope he is successfully. ....

Identity Theft

View my Photos
JLHall

2004-06-19          88887

thanks for the reply, i hope your son is successful with his delima.

yes i know married folks get their plate cleaned too, i been there abd done that on a small scale compared to this fiasco too. one of my few friends left told me his mother after 45 years of marriage now has a 30 year old boyfriend and is cleaning hus dads plate. 45years!! argh!

i cant say i dealt with the anger and stress of it well, my health is bad bad because of it and as stated i did have a stroke severe enough to mess me up. lost most of my sight and use of left side.

it took me a long time to even get any law to listen. had the ADA call me at midnite one evening saying "damn john im sorry i did not think there was this much to this"

the law in valdosta ga. actually had her in jail and let here go
that pissed the FDLE and me off bigtime.
i also know of twice she went to court under assumed names and paid fine and left. she is a fugitive in at least 4 counties here in florida for this type of stuff. most likely there is much more i dont know.

i dont even have resources left to join this forum much less
persue her. if i did it would be a bounty hunter like the infamous "dog" as he is the best. the fdle asked me what my goals were i told them to see her ass incarcerated and know her real name. they told me maybe one day on the first but highly doubtful on the latter :( and yes i lived with her for 15 years. thats what bothers me. was any of it real? or all a fraud to clean me out?

i check with the fdle and florida prison system often to see if they have captured her. her assocites that hekped her are still right here but there is nothing i can do. she even writes emails to me to taunt me. i gave the numbers from the isp to the law and any new stuff but its always the same.

not a soul cares or has time, too busy with more major stuff.looking back when this started i should have told them
that i thought she was a terrorist. that would have motivated action. to tell the truth now im not sure she could'nt be with all the money she has gleaned.

my only hope is that "what comes around goes around" for them all.or she steps on a big rattlesnake i also look at it like this i cannot be a victim any more as i have nothing to take except my bulldogs and they wont go i have my freedom and pretty much just try to stay calm as i can. im sure she is off to the next victim. most likely married to change that name and get new id as she lost the 8 sets in her haste to flee here.

i want to talk to mr. rankin or any pro bounty hunter freelance people hunter or any LEO that is willing to help me can mail me direct. hopefully after i complete vocational rehab ill have some funds and will pay whatever they want to
capture this scourge.

this depresses me lots im gonna go talk tractors now ....

Identity Theft

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-13          98316

http://consumers.creditnet.com/straighttalk/board/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=3
Is an excellent forum about this subject and all credit related issues.
It's the best site on the net for such subjects.
You might say it's to credit issues what Tractor Point is to tractors ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login