Go Bottom Go Bottom

How fast would a wood chuck chuck Wood

View my Photos
Misenplace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-29          60396

Ok, It was suggested we duscuss something, anything more pleasant. So this is my contributution towards my own attrition. I live in the typical sub with neighbors that are way too close. Every now and then I get a unwanted varmit. I used to just pop open the screen and test the 22 but those days are gone. I have a cedar deck that is two levels. My wife has built in flower boxes. Yesterday I was enjoying a old John Wayne flick in ignorant bliss of the mess being made about 3' from my window. I looked over and saw ole bucky's but in the air and dirt flying all the way across the deck. I chased him off butt he dug a HUGE hole destroying half of one box. It was a little humerous as I could see exactly where he had climbed the steps and gone up to the second level to have a look around. He left a dirt trail eveywhere he went. I have never used a live trap and am a little lost about what to do with woody. Any suggestions ?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-29          60399

There are loads for the .22 called BB caps that make almost no noise. I don't know if the problem with shooting is noise or that of occasionally shooting a nosey neighbor. I have used these rounds inside of an attic before to kill raccoons that were well entrenched.

Believe it or not, I had a huge problem with rats and opossums in California. They would crawl up or out of palm trees and get on the brick fence and roof. I solved the problem with a little decorative outdoor wiring and an electric fence charger. A standard fence charger would kill an average size opossum, so you have to check it regularly. Even if they are not killed, most won't come back after they touch the wire. (That is not necessarily true of oppossums. They are dumber than a bag of hammers.)

I never had a mishap with the electric fence, but one day a gardner thought that climbing onto my brick fence would be the perfect place to stand to trim the palm tree. When he put his hand on top of that electric wire, he changed his mind rather abruptly.

I don't like traps or poison, but any kinetic energy weapon should do. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-29          60400

Get a live trap, they work well, and using one is about as simple as falling off a log, it just takes less of your wife's Drambuie ..... LOL

Just don't forget to make a plywood box slightly larger than the trap itself, drill one hole in each end about the size of the tailpipe on that new Hemi ...

After all, he's probably curious about that big shiny truck too, right? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink....

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-29          60404

Yeah that Drambuie is expensive too. Of course I am not supposed to point out just how much those cigars I am so fond of cost. As the big boss likes to say, hey, dont tell me you burn money ! lol. I have used the old tail pipe trick but I am getting a little soft I guess. I figured if I live trap the little pudger I'll take him to deer camp and he cam have 50k acres to dig in. ACZ, I know the shells you are talking about. My concern is less about noise and more about getting caught. The shot would be about 15 yards and I havent played with those. Do you think they would penetrate wood chuck butt at that range ? Last summer on a hike I found a kitten some one had dumped. The 38 was the most humane thing I knew of but I cant say I didn't loose sleep over it. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-29          60408

You might be amazed at the effectiveness of a Crosman pump pellet gun.

I have one with a 22 cal bore and it is quiet, unbelievably accurate and powerful. I have killed a multitude of squirrels, cottontails and big old western jackrabbits with it.

With 8 pump strokes and a pointed pellet, the jacks usually fall where they stood or run no more than a few feet. The pellets will almost always completely penetrate the critter.

It may not drop Mr. Chuck in his tracks, but any hit in the boiler room will certainly cause it to bleed out in a minute or two. If the range is close, a flat faced target pellet would really slap him. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-07-29          60409

The BB Caps have a heavier bullet than a .22 airgun pellet. I think they use a full size 40 gr .22 bullet with less powder. They are quieter than most airguns that I have shot. They are not powerful enough to cycle the action on most automatics, but work fine in pumps and bolt action guns. I have a Benjamin .22 airgun, and I would use it to scare the wood chuck or the .22 BB cap to dispatch it. With a light load in any gun, you want to make a clean headshot.

I shot a lot of wood chucks with a .22 rimfire when I was growing up. They are curious animals. I could almost always entice one to stick its little head up for me. Just be patient and you can get it. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-29          60411

I have been giveing the air gun a lot of thought. I used to have one in 177 when I was a kid. It did a pretty good job at squirrels and would shoot a good ways. Acz, We must be talking about something different. You are saying BBcaps, do you have a brand name or something I can look for a web site on. That might help me get a grip (lol) on what you are refering to. I was thinking that you were talking about the cci shot shells for the 22 LR. Speaking of being curious, check out photo #7 I took a few minutes ago. Bambi is just about to stick that curious nose right in woodys hole ! ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-07-29          60413

There are BB caps and CB caps. I should have been saying CB caps. They use the 29 grain bullet. They are just low velocity, low power .22 cartridges. BB caps are even smaller. You cannot tell the difference between them and other high power 22 cartridges from the outside. (These are not the 22 crimped shot shell cartridges) CB caps are quiet, because they don't have a lot of pressure left when the 29 grain bullet leaves the barrel of a rifle. They will probably no go through a 2X4, but should be able to chuck a wood chuck.

I attached a link, but I have never bought anything from these people so I am not recommending them. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-07-29          60414

After checking into this a little further, CB stands for Conical Bullet and these caps have NO powder in them only a primer. The bullet is 29 grains and the velocity is about 750 fps. A .22 airgun pellet is going to be about half that bullet weight and about the same velocity. Sound will be about the same. A CB cap will therefore have twice the muzzle energy of a .22 pellet gun.

BB caps seem to use a round ball that is about 17 grains.

The CB caps that I have used are from CCI and they work well. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-29          60415

Acz, Thanx, I will give the CCI cb longs a try. I do use a very old ruger 10/22 but it should only take one shot. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-07-30          60457

The CB caps won't feed through the magazine of a 10/22. I think that you understand this from the "one shot" reference. Many guns that will feed 22 shorts will feed them OK, but you may have to cycle the action manually since they are low on power.

The next increment up on power and noise is the 22 short TARGET cartridge. These are loaded with very low powder charges and are extremely consistent and accurate. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-30          60464

Yup, one shot one wood chuck ! ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-07-30          60468

You are sounding like the Carlos Hathcock of the wood chuck world. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-08-01          60633

The problem with the CB's is that the little devil cam move faster than the not so speeding bullet. Back to plan A. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-08-01          60635

Wanna borrow my 416 Rigby? ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-08-01          60636

lol, yeah you betcha. I'll even buy ya two cups of coffee and a extra box of shells just so I can play with it ! Do ya think the neighbors might hear that one though ? ....Poof ! ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-08-01          60641

It would be a woodchuck bunker buster. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-08-01          60645

Yeah, picture bill murray in hand cuffs with a wood chuck cap ! ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-08-01          60655

That must be one fast wood chuck. CB caps are supposed to travel at around 750 FPS. I have never chrono'ed one.

I expect that the 416 would do a fine job on a dangerous charging wood chuck. Be sure and call out "He's coming right at me!" so that the neighbors know that they shot was purely for self defense.

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-08-01          60689

Well I'm a little bandaged and bruised after being charged but the final solution was the good old CCI mini mags (Plan A). A little off topic but are there any Civel war Buffs here ? If so the new Movie "Gods and Generals" which is the prequill to "Gettysburg" is out on DVD. 4 hours long but two thumbs up for accuracy. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login