Go Bottom Go Bottom

jPlan Sevice Interruption

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-06-06          28974

Beginning last week I began the migration of the jPlan site to a new Service provider, because of some new features that could of enhanced the CTB. However, the new Provider promised much more than they were able to deliver.Finally on Monday they decided that the CTB's volume was simply too much for them to handle.So at approximately 2PM Monday they shut jplan down totally and completely. I did not even have email access. This company would not accept phone calls, refused to give any explanation of their actions, and refused to let me get my system back from them.Finally last night after numerous emails to the owner of the service, I got them to allow me to copy my data off of their system.jPlan is now back to our orignal provider who has provided very good support for the last three years. If any of you are WebMasters please stay away from CWIHosting.com, they are very scary people!Thanks for your continued patronage during and after this problem.Dennis

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Paul Fox
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-06-06          28977

I'm just glad yer back! I was starting to suffer from withdrawal symptoms... ....

View my Photos
FarmerWannabe

2001-06-06          28985

Glad to have the best tractor site around back up.
Having it down made me realize I'd pay for the great advice I get here.
Keep up the great work. ....

View my Photos
James

2001-06-06          28996

Boy am I glad your back. Thought I had done something wrong. Thank you for a great website. I have learned more here than anywhere else. Can't work without you. ....

View my Photos
james mills

2001-06-06          29000

thanks for the info on why this excellent forum was down for two or so days. keep up the good work and if i can help let me know. ....

View my Photos
Bo McCarty THE BO-MA

2001-06-06          29007

This is a great service, thank you!
I have my site hosted by
http://www.amhosting.net/index.shtml
I get nothing from the mention but I get complete and total satisfaction from their services and each time I have had a question they have responded within minutes, yes minutes! Impressive.
I'm not asking you to switch, just passing on some info if needed by others.
Thanks again!
Bo ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-06-07          29016

Dennis: Sounds like it was a nightmare for you. I've encountered an attitude, mostly among former IBM mainframe system types. The attitude goes something like: 'We own the computer, and if it's in the computer, we own that too.' Fortunately, this and related attitudes have become pieces of history. Too bad you seemed to have stumbled over a dinosaur. Happy the site got rescued.

View my Photos
Russ DenBleyker

2001-06-07          29021

Probably not a former IBM mainframe system type. A former IBM mainframe system person would know how to put together a system that works. It was probably a SUV driving, bicycle riding, cell phone using Yuppie fresh out of college who thinks he knows 50 times more about information technology than he actually does trying to create his first real world system and failing badly. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-06-07          29028

The following is only for those masochists that want to hear the "rest of the stoy"....
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I wanted to move to a Java Server Page (JSP) provider because in my day job as a consultant I use JSP Olap and RDB data sources, and I was tired of switching modes, and found it easier to build in JSP than PERL.

So I obsessed over where to host, knowing the risks.

Read alot of bad reviews on CWI, but thought the sales rep sounded knowledgeable, more than most. Liked all the stuff I got for small bucks..... Private JVM etc.

I signed up May 19th, shadowed my site using a fixed IP starting last Wed. Then moved the DNS Friday. Lots of problems no www.jplan.com just jplan.com, out of space errors in cgi-bin. ....

Then on Monday my high volume day, they shut down my site at 2PM, No notice, nothing. I called and called, sorry no one can tell you why! But you'll be getting an email in fact its on its way now.

Well next day I get the email. Under Terms of Service you are using too much resource, therefore we have removed all of your access to jplan.com completely. You can't get your files, you can't even do a domain name change. What you need is a dedicated server.

Dozens of emails later I finally get them to allow me to telnet in. So Now I have been down for 30 hours. But they have taken my file write permsissions away and my mySQLdump persmissions away, so I beg for them via email, and wait, finally I get mySQL back but no write permissions, I have to hack by redirecting output to a pre existing file then FTP'ing the heck out of there.

Well I got my mySql stuff out of there it is up running much quicker at my old host. Goodbye CWI

Only problem my current host will NOT do JSP, only on a `dedicated server.

The reason I consider CWI's behavior as potentially criminal is that they advertised Unlimited Transfer .... then if the customer uses transfer above nominal, they claim a Terms of Service violation, that you are using too much of the CPU, but with no measurement given. They then pocket the setup fee and the first month, and you are sent packing. If you are just a novice with a couple of pages on your site, they keep you.

The CWI outfit is also very scam like because they show photos of a massive data center that does not seem to exist, they also give themselves grand titles like CEO@CWI CTO@CWI. I am convinced that the delay in responding to system problems coincides with getting out of their high school classes.

After putting in over 40 hours of transfer work it certainly felt awful to be treated so poorly, and to have been dupped so easily.

Have to be careful out there.,br>
Dennis

View my Photos
TomG

2001-06-08          29056

You're probably right Russ. Your type dinosaurs are probably alive and well while mine are mostly retired. I intended my comment to be more about bureaucratization of the systems function during the late 70's and 80's. After I left an academic environment and the management of my own data, I suffered through years of a public sector IBM 370 and 4381 environment. Systems asserted responsibility for management and control of everything to do with computing. Dozens of research data sets were lost or corrupted that took $100,000's and 1,000's of person hours to develop. I never lost data or created resource a crisis on my own. The same department also spent millions constructing database systems that never worked but had to be used for decades. I suspect that I worked in a very bad environment and maybe I shouldn't generalize. I do agree that today there is a strong flavour of well-rewarded folks who really just can't do the work but still are allowed to carry on. I experienced much the same in the dying days of the 370/4381 environment. Fortunately, it's much harder to bureaucratize a tractor function, and harder to avoid seeing jobs that just aren't done right. ....

View my Photos
mlmartin

2001-06-08          29058

Dennis,

Have you noticed that your posts are virtually the only ones with white space?

I typed this into your form with a blank line between each sentence.

When I edit it, I leave the white space in place.

There were two blank lines above this sentence.

When I read this message in the java window I expect that it will be in a close formatted block like all of the posts other than yours.

Matthew (who isn't fond of the java window) ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2001-06-08          29064

Matthew,
AHHH! Yes it is Good to be WebMaster!!!!!

I will soon allow others to do the same

;>)

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-06-08          29066

Glad the CTB is back in cyberspace, Dennis! (And you too, Dennis.) My wife thought my computer was broken because I wasn't in my office all the time!

This reminds me of the guy years ago who had too much to drink, but went ahead and was driving home with his wife. He took a corner way too fast, and his wife fell out of the car without his knowledge. A police officer (named Bird, I think) witnessed this and pulled the guy over a couple miles away. The officer said, "You drunken fool! Your wife fell out of the car two miles back!" To which the inebriate replied, "Thank God! I thought I had gone deaf!" ....

View my Photos
Zippy

2001-06-11          29161

Excellent Joke! I'm still laughing. Glad to see the Board was just out of service for awhile. When I saw the error message "access restricted" I thought my wife had put the kabosch to my favorite site. Somehow restricting my site selection. Who knows what I goofed up in this thing trying to figure out how she did it... ....

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-06-12          29210

We're even, Zippy, because I'm still laughing at your reply. Thanks! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login