Go Bottom Go Bottom

Bloat

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-09-13          116350

Lost my best friend last night. She was getting old an even though I knew it was coming, I did not expect it to happen in hours. My lab had to be put down at 11pm last night. The vet said she had bloat and her stomach was more than likely twisted. This is hard to take, much harder than I thought. Taking your dog in knowing she will not come back with you is rough!. Will mis the ole girl extremely much.
Anyone know about or delt with the condition called bloat?
" Never met a lady I like more than My Chocolate Lab" In memory of her
7/08/1992 - 09/13/2005 Rest in peace ole girl.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bloat

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-13          116351

Very sorry to hear of this BA. It is amazing how attached we get to our pets; almost like children. I guess in a way they are as they look to us for all of their needs. She had a good run at 13 years and I am sure you made a wonderful home for her. All the best! ....

Bloat

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-13          116355

Very sorry to hear that. It's really hard to lose a dog. They show us unconditional love and loyalty and it's a rare human being that has those characteristics. It's like losing your biggest supporter and best friend. Time will heal and you'll always have the memories. When we lost our dog the first thing I did was sit down and write about a dozen pages of stories and anecdotes that I remembered about her so I wouldn't forget. I still tear up reading those pages. ....

Bloat

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2005-09-13          116361

Very sorry for your loss, they are family arent they.

Bloat is a symptom with many different causes, its a bit like saying an animal died of lack of oxygen - it could have been drowning, it could have been a blockage of the airways. Bloat is blamed for many livestock deaths although the reasons for bloat are quite varied, nutritional acidosis, bacterial fermentation, biological toxins the whole gambit. Do some reading on the web there is a ton of stuff, then go back to your vet and ask some specific questions, what caused the bloat, was it preventable (by nutrition etc). That may provide some closure. ....

Bloat

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-09-14          116373

Broken Arrow:

Sorry to hear about the loss of your pet. It is almost like loosing a child. Like Ann says, bloat can be a number of things. Many time the intestines get twisted or they get a blockage.

Some friends of ours just lost a young lab, the vet says it was caused by feeding it pork table scraps. Our lab eats a little bit of just about everything we eat. Hope we don't do something bad! ....

Bloat

View my Photos
Murf

2005-09-14          116377

I very truly sorry for your loss.

Animals have a certain way of getting deep into our hearts, they're love for us knows no bounds, and we feel the same way towards them.

In 20+ years of breeding and training dogs I have lost many of them, it does not get any easier.

At 13 years she was the equivalent of a 91 year old gal. At that age they have a tougher time fighting things off.

I'm told that one of the most important things for the health of any animal (us included) is regular exercise, even just a 20 minute walk every other day, every day is better.

Bloat, or Colic, is a blockage of the digestive tract at some point in the system. Exercise is critical in preventing this, the movement allows the gas to be moved along insead of building up and causing a twist.

Be thankful she didn't have to suffer through something.

Best of luck. ....

Bloat

View my Photos
jwnge

2005-09-14          116385

BA...I lost mine 2 years ago and know how you feel. It gets easier with time passing, but I still get teary eyed at times thinking of the great times we had... Sorry for your loss.....JohnJ ....

Bloat

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-09-14          116387

BA sorry to hear about your lab. It is real hard to lose such a good ole friend. My Chocloate Lab was born on 7/12/93, they don't usually live longer than 12 years, it will be very painful to lose him. ....

Bloat

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-09-14          116399

BA, sorry for your loss. I know it's hard.

I get mad at mine when I trip over them lying in my way when carrying the baby or when one ralphs up on the floor or rolls in something nasty. But then they pick you up when you are down. They make laugh by doing something stupid. Or make you proud when they kill their first gopher.

Enjoy the good memories and be comforted by knowing you gave her a good life and love. I'll be bawling like an idiot when my either one of my dogs moves on to the happy hunting ground. ....

Bloat

View my Photos
O2FISH

2005-09-14          116429

My wife and I just want to send our condolances to you for the loss of your lab. We have four dogs and cannot imagine what we would do if we ever lost one. Once again sorry for your loss. ....

Bloat

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-09-28          117100

Thank you all, Its a tough time here now a day. One dont realize how much love they bring into the whole family. They spread it out evenly amongst all. Bittersweet this pill is for my wife. She said she only needs to sweep once a day now and and clean the floors only once a day, on the same breath though she said she would trade in a second to have her "baby" back. Dont think anouther one will be in our future for awhile, atleast till summer is almost here. Even then the wife will have to make the call since she does most of the cleaning up (behind her dog) and around the house.
The few things that you dont realize is how quite the house is with out your pet. No one to greet you at 4am in the morning, no one there (sometimes) when you walk in, and ,,, right now, no one around but me (all are sleeping already)
I made a real nice cedar cross and milled her name in it. Burried her ashes just outside the back window and a bit in the woods up at our other house. Wife wanted to be able to see it when ever she looks out the window. I thought it mat be a bit much (to be reminded of her every time you look out the picture window) but my wife thought differently. In hinsight,,, she is right AGAIN!
Anyway thanks all who replied. little stories always seem to ease the pain of a loss.
Tom ....

Bloat

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-09-29          117124

B-arrow, I understand the quiet part. The house seems so empty when we get home from a trip where the dogs were kenneled. Just doesn't seem right until they get home too.

My parents buried one golden retriever under the deck. She loved to lay there and look at the squirrels, birds, chase airplanes, etc. It's a constant reminder of a great companion.

It's a nice tribute you made to your dog. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login