Go Bottom Go Bottom

Lest we forget

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-11          100196

As I type this out, I am sitting here waiting for my father and an uncle to pick me up to go to the rememberance day ceremonies.

I would ask that at the 11th hour, of this 11th day of the 11th month that each person who sees this take a moment to reflect on our freedom, and what it has cost.

Most especially I would ask that you think of those that have paid, and are still paying, that cost.

In the name of God I wish each one of our comrades in arms deliverance from harm and safe passage home to their loved ones, and for those that have gone before us, rest in eternal glory until we can once again stand beside them.

Amen.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Lest we forget

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-11          100198

Our societies have become fat, stupid and languorous.

We don't even know the danger we live in and have forgotten the costs of being and staying free.

Thanks for the reminder, Murf. ....

Lest we forget

View my Photos
Murf

2004-11-11          100203

Every year I go, and every year I come home a mess, and my wife says the same thing "Why do you put yourself through that?" and my reply is always the same, "Because THEY went through that.".

They had some school kids there, reciting poems and so on, one little girl, a recent immigrant from a troubled land, read her "Lest we forget." essay, her remarks brought the entire crowd to tears.

She said we should never forget because we are so lucky to live in a peaceful land, and asked that we think of those who CANNOT forget, those who live in daily fear of their lives because of conflict and hatred, and remember the sacrifice that got us here.

Out of the mouths of babes.......

Lest we forget

View my Photos
Woodbutcher
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-11-11          100205

I am the only one in our small office who remembered to mark this day. I am the only one I know who volunteered for the armed forces during the Vietnam conflict. I am the only one I know with a son in the service today. And because I do not have a red white and blue Bush/Cheney sticker on my bumper, I am the only one to be labled unpatriotic. I dearly hope that those whom we remember today will not have given their lives in vain. I pray that the country survives the current regime and the great division we see today melts away and we can once again live up to the reputation we once held in the world. ....

Lest we forget

View my Photos
beagle

2004-11-11          100207

God Bless America,.... Please. The land of the free, and the home of the brave sons and daughters that can truly call it THEIR home. ....

Lest we forget

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-11-11          100209

Woodbutcher, My mouth is hanging open in utter amazement.

Would you prefer to break bread with those who hate you for what you intrinsically are?

Finally, finally, after how many terrorist attacks on US interests(??)... 10 or 12 at least over the last 25 years.... we have found a man willing to fight back, and you think HE is destroying the country?

Unbelievable. ....

Lest we forget

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-11-11          100217

I know that there are numerous past and present military people who contribute to this site. Thanks to all of you and to the many others who have served or are serving.
Dave ....

Lest we forget

View my Photos
Murf

2004-11-11          100223

Unfortunately there is MUCH misunderstanding associated with this day.

I have been called many names, mostly a 'war monger' for my attendance, in uniform, at veteran's day, or as we call it up here, remembrance day services.

I have also been slandered for wearing an American military uniform in Canada.

My reply has always been the same, "Is the official language still English?".

Today though a young lady paid me a compliment in a small but extremely meaningful way when we stopped for a coffee on the way home to warm up after a chilly stand in the cold November winds for the service. I ordered 3 coffees, she placed 3 large mugs of coffee on the table, and beside each mug a small glass, behind here stood her father with a bottle of brandy in his hand. He said his daughter had asked why there were soldiers in the restaurant, was everything OK. He said he told her she was in Canada now, everything was more than OK, it was perfect.

They were from Yugoslavia, their villige had been monitored by Canadian peace-keeping troops, the safety the troops had allowed them to flee their country in favour of this one.

The compliment? The daughter, a beautiful teenage girl of an age that should not know war, thanked us profusely for leaving such a beautiful safe land as this toi travel half-way around the world and put ourselves in harm's way to protect her & her family. I told her it was not me. She said, "To me you are every soldier in the world, God bless you."

I thanked her and said he already had.

The coffee was free. ....

Lest we forget

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-11-11          100224

"For all those who serve, and all those who have served, we can never thank them enough."

TV comercial I just saw. Says it all for me. ....

Lest we forget

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-11-11          100228

Every year we have a moment of silence at IBM for Veteran's day. We had a moment of silence today. Thanks to all who served and who serve today to give us our freedom. Thanks to the many who we never knew because they made the ultimate sacrifice. ....

Lest we forget

View my Photos
kubotachick
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-11-11          100229

boy howdy, sometimes your best inspirations aspirations and the such come from the good ole boob tube.

Viva veterans day! ....

Lest we forget

View my Photos
Mike1819

2004-11-11          100233

I just want to salute my brothers and sisters in arms past, present and those to come.
There are few ways in life that folks can show their family, loved ones, friends, themselves and the world that they care enough for them all to put their lives on the line against tyranny, terrorism and those oppressed from freedoms we enjoy daily.
I've served with folks from several different militaries around the world and you what? A soldier is a soldier everywhere! They all get a very thankless job done without ever asking for thanks. I see in some of the comments above that you were thanked in ways and at times you would never have expected.
May God bless those who have served and those who are serving in their endeavors as well as the oppressed they are trying to free. ....

Lest we forget

View my Photos
Chief

2004-11-11          100234

Happy Veteran's Day to all the veterans out there and remember a prayer for the folks on active duty especially those in Fallujah, through out Iraq, and Afghanistan. ....

Lest we forget

View my Photos
bvance

2004-11-11          100238

Thanks to all that have posted here with their thoughts about our Veterans that have sacrifced much for the freedom we enjoy today.

Just after the election our local news was interviewing a young lady and asked her what she thought of the outcome of the presidential election. She said we just sick and was seriously considering leaving the country for the next 4 years. Where did our society go wrong? How can any US citizen truly feel that way? I was deeply offended by her callous remark. We obviously know her political persuasion which got me to thinking if the election had turned out differently, would we ever hear a conservative say the same? That they would leave this country because of how the election turned out? We might have been greatly disappointed, but we would never, ever even think about leaving this country that we love so much and and to have turned our backs on so many that gave their iives to enjoy the freedom to elect our leaders even if we don't agree with the outcome. Reminds me of the old tired bumper sticker: America, love her or leave her.

One last comment. In our hallway hangs a picture of my wife's great uncle in military uniform superimposed on the American flag. The picture is in a very old oval frame about 12" by 18" with the rounded convex glass that I don't even think you can get anymore. It's a precious heirloom to her family. He died in service to our Country in WW I. He was shot after the war was declared over going thru an area cleaning it up. He was buried in Belgium. It has been said he was the last American killed in WW I. A shame? Absolutely. But he died so we could freely elect our leaders even in 2004. Let's NEVER forget that. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login