Go Bottom Go Bottom

Filling CaCl in tires on 4wd Massey Ferguson 1030

View my Photos
Bob Snyder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-09-28          8369

I have a question about the advisability of adding fluid to the turf tires on a MF1030. If I add CaCl it adds 1200lbs to the rear and 260 lbs to the front. If I add windshield wiper fluid it adds 700 lbs to the rear and 140 lbs to the front. The CaCl is $1.00 per gallon versus $2.90 for the window fluid and weighs 12.5 lbs per gallon versus the 8 lbs per gallon for the window fluid. My question is what are the disadvantages? Will I damage my tractor which I currently use with a front loader. I understand the corrosion issue and plan to use a tube with 90% fill with CaCl and 80% fill with Window fluid.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-09-28          8372

Bob, I think you should recheck your calculations here. 1200 lbs added with fluid sounds way too high. I would expect something around 400 lbs total added to a small tractor. Also, the best I have ever gotten CaCl to mix is to a specific gravity of 1.3....which would be about 10 and a half pounds per gallon of liquid.....not 12.5. The price for CaCl is a little high, but the price for the windshield washer fluid is MUCH lower in Colorado. It runs 89 cents/gallon (not $2.90) even at the convenience stores. Most people won't run any liquid in the front tires because they are concerned about the effect that fluid in the tires has on steering in road gear. If you want to email me your calculations, I'll run through them and see where the difference is. Roger ....

View my Photos
Bob Snyder

1999-09-29          8386

Thanks, Roger.The CaCl and windshield fluid prices were for two different companies. I will look for a lower price on the windshield fluid. I have large balloon turf tires on small wheels and have been told from the sizes that capacities are 50 gallons per tire back and 10 gallons per tire on the front. With 10 lbs per gallon CaCL it will still be 1000 lbs for the back. Can this damage the tractor? Also the tractor has power steering and 4 wheel drive and is not driven on the road in 4 wheel. Will the front fill effect steering or potentially damage the 4 wheel drive. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-09-29          8414

Bob, I am still astonished that the tires will hold that much. It is fairly easy to measure and calculate, so I would expect most dealers to get it right. Adding weight to the wheels will not hurt anything at all. It is a whole different stress than carrying the weight attached to the body of the tractor or to the 3 pt. The reason that weight is not used in fronts takes us back to physics class. When farther a rotating weight is from the center, then a lot more energy is stored. This "flywheel effect" is very noticeable in the steering when you are in the higher gears..... Keeping the wheel weight closer to the center of rotation is one of the good things about cast wheel weights.....conversely, in your family car the same effect allows tiny balance weights out at the wheel rim to balance a large tire. Roger ....

View my Photos
art

1999-09-30          8417

Bob, there has been many discussions on ballast in the farm machinery world as to what is best. You should seek a 25% front 75%rear balance, you should check your owners manual for your maximum weight allowed on this tractor. My suggestion would be to only load the rear tires if that is your choice of ballast to use. The cacium is the cheapest but not the best,it's been found that cast weight gives better traction per pound than calcium. The liquid slows the reflex rate of the tire so it can't flex fast enough to compensate for ground contour changes. Over ballasting a tractor reduces fuel economy as well as drive train life,tires and all mechanical parts around by properly over ballasting a tractor chassis you can bring a 10,000hour tractor to a death in a mere 2500 hours with out operator neglegence. ....

View my Photos
Ted

1999-09-30          8422

Unless I'm sadly mistaken, (I'm a man so it happens constantly, she tells me....) my little gray cells recall that water is 10lb/gallon, I cannot believe that CaCl & H2O together don't weigh considerably more than that. Further, anytime I have seen a tire filled (I'm ninth generation on the same farm) they pump it in with the tire on the machine, valve at top-most position, and fill to that level only, about 75%. ....

View my Photos
Bob Snyder

1999-09-30          8428

Thanks for the message. It is clear that liquid to the front tires is not advised but I am getting mixed comments on the advisability of adding liquid to the rear tires. A Massey Ferguson dealer recommended the CaCl in the rears and said that MF voids the warrenty if you do not add weight to the back when using a front loader. He said that if weight is not added the load on the front axel is too high when the loader is used. I see another post that says the life of the tractor is decreased 4 fold with the liquid filled tires. Although I use the loader frequently I am seldom on pavement. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-09-30          8429

Thanks, and your welcome. Are you telling me that there is a MF 1030 out there that still has warranty left on it? Where has it beeen hiding all these years?? :-) Did the dealer really recommend CaCl over cast iron wheel weights? If so, he is one of the few dealers left who does. There is a misunderstanding between yourself and this dealer which I can help to clear up. MF may well want you to add weight to the back when a loader is added.This is very common, and is a matter of safety as much as anything else. But by "back" they are meaning weight added BEHIND the rear axle. Adding weight concentrically to the rear axle will NOT affect the load on the front axle...although it will help you keep the rear wheels - the rears are the only ones with brakes! - on the ground. And why would liquid-filled tires affect the tractor life at all? And even if it did....which I doubt....how can anyone defend a number like "4 times"? I didn't see the post you are referencing, but if you are reporting it accurately then he is just pulling your leg. Roger L. ....

View my Photos
Bob Snyder

1999-10-01          8432

Thanks again. The tractor is a 1987 and there is no warrenty. The dealer was just making a point about damage. I agree with your analysis of front axel load. The primary effect of filled wheels should be traction. I am not sure if wheel weights are available for my turf wheels but the effect again would be traction. I could add rear weights or a weight box on the 3 point ($$). These weights could be taken on and off which have an advantage and disadvantage (length and hassel). At this point I am on hold while I decide what to do. ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-10-01          8434

Just for information sake, pure water weighs in at 8.345 lbs per gallon.But most guys I've ever heard talking about this subject use 8lbs or 10lbs per gallon figures. I also think your right about the 75% fill level. ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-10-01          8435

Bob,You will find many postings about rear Ballasting of rear tractors for loader use. Cast tire weights will run the highest bill, but they are nice in that you can still use rear implements with them installed. A ballast box doesn't allow this, but can be homemade for probably $50 bucks at the most. Buy yourself a piece of plywood or two, ? lbs of concrete mix, a metal bar slightly smaller in diameter than your lower control arm sockets, and two thick pieces of 12"-20" metal bars. Drill an appropriately sized hole in each bar, to be used for the upper 3pt link. Cut the lower bar to the same lenght as your other 3pt implements. And lastly cut the plywood to create a mold for the concrete. Obviously I over simplified these plans, but I'm sure you get the point. And lastly, doing this allows you to make a weight box to meet your lbs requirements. Good luck:) ....

View my Photos
Bob Snyder

1999-10-01          8440

After discussing the issue of filling the tires to prevent damage to the front end when using the loader by filling the rear tires. I found out what can get damaged is a broken drive shaft to the front drive wheels. Massey Ferguson has indicated that you must fill the back tires when using a loader. I believe the issue is that when you are digging you can take all the load off the back wheels and lose traction. The front wheels have all the weight and are driven w/o traction assist from the rear wheels which can apparently damage the drive shaft in some conditions. The rear wheel fill keeps traction on the rear wheels to reduce front wheel drive load. I have found out that at 90% fill with CaCl, I add 400 lbs to each of my rear tires. The tires are 13.6X16X12"wide and are about 36" in diameter and hold 30-35 gallons at 90% fill. I plan to go ahead with the fill. ....

View my Photos
Eric Poppens

1999-10-01          8441

I currently own a 600 loader on a John Deere 7810 and seems to work great. We mainly use it for pushing silage with a snow blade attachment. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-10-01          8442

Well, thanks for the clarification on front drive train vs front wheel/axle load. I suppose that it is possible to load the bucket in such a way that the rear wheels leave the ground! And this would surely put a stress on the front drive system in 4wd. Of course you would need to be in 4wd at the time or you would find yourself in "no wheel drive" :-) I don't use my tractors in that manner, but in the event that you find yourself driving around on the front wheels only - - you might tell MF that adding weight to the rear wheels has at that point increased, not decreased - the load on the front wheels and axles. I've finally got around to looking at this entire thread, and noticed that Art brought up the point that reduced flexure of the tires was the reason for decreased machine life with liquid fill. I'm not sure that I agree, but expressed as he did it is certainly a point worth pondering...I do agree that tractors get most of their soft ride from using the low air pressure and soft tire combo as the suspension spring....and that this would benefit life on things like wheel bearings (and people!) Yes, 800 total pounds is a lot of advantage...BTW, how do you like the 1030? I've been an advocate of MF tractors for years, and always looking to collect anecdotes on them.` Roger ....

View my Photos
C.T. Ware

1999-10-03          8504

Want a 14,5 0r 15 hp. Mower with 38 or 42in cut ....

View my Photos
Bob Snyder

1999-10-03          8505

Thanks for the e-mail. I just purchased my MF1030 about 3 weeks ago. I bought it as is but the only thing that was just a grond problem. I have been mowing with a 5' rear mower and moving wood, dirt and rocks with the front loader. It seems like a very well thought out design. It has 945 hours on the meter and doesn't show any wear. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login