Go Bottom Go Bottom

Insurance Question on Small Tractor

View my Photos
kenbreland
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-20          93938

I have a Kubota 2230 and having questions as to insurance coverage. My agent (allstate) says I am not covered on the highway (towing) unless I purchase a "Recreational Vehicle Policy" and only up to 10,000 on my homeowners policy for fire, thief, etc.
Anyone have any recomendations for other insurance companies or their insurance experience?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-20          93943

I talked to my agent about insurance when I ordered my 4310 three weeks ago. I'm with Farm Bureau and they said I was covered under the overall homeowners umbrella for the replacement value at no extra cost. This is due to their high content level they have as a % of the total home value. This is contingent upon not using it for business purposes. ....

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-20          93991

On my policy (Farmers Insurance Co.) it is fully covered, as Iowafun said, as long as it is on my property. If something happens while towing, my homeowners policy does nothing. I had to add a rider on my truck insurance to cover it. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-08-20          93992

I doubt if any standard homeowners policy covers a tractor for damage caused by human error - rolling it, falling a tree on it, etc. If wind blows a tree down and it falls on your tractor it's probably covered, but if you cut down a tree and it falls on the tractor it probably isn't. If they say they do then they should show it to you in writing. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-08-21          94025

I insured my 4410 with Farm Bureau. I have a farm policy that pretty much covers the tractor for everything including transporting it. I believe it cost about $200 annually. ....

View my Photos
jpr62902

2004-08-21          94031

What potential loss are you trying to insure? Damage TO your tractor or damage FROM your tractor? Damage TO my tractor is covered on my homeowner's policy when the tractor is on my property. If, say, I'm transporting it and it is damaged, or it falls into a hole I'm digging at a friend's yard, I had to get an inland marine policy (about $200.00 per year)to cover damage TO the tractor. If my tractor causes damage (i.e. it falls off the trailer and hits something) my auto/umbrella liability covers that. That said, I'm not covered for commercial liability, so no backhoeing for hire for me. ....

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-08-21          94035

If you finance your tractor through Kubota or JD they usually add the insurance in. That way if it gets damaged they fix it. If it fell off a truck and got totaled some people might not keep on paying for it, thats why the insurance. JD's coverage is cheap, Kubota is a little more. I have a full coverage,comp, liability insurance for my business equipment on top of that. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-08-21          94048

Leucerne - you & are have the same kinda of policy. I am cover anywhere that I go with my tractor no matter what the reason of the accident was. I would imagine anyone could get that coverage other then a business owner, Just depends on what they are willing to pay. ....

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-08-21          94050

Grasgod, In Maine you can't leave the dealer with the tractor unless you have insurance to cover the damage on the tractor if it is financed. I checked around and theirs was cheaper then my agents. Same with auto, you can't register it without proof of at least liabilty insurance, even if it is paid for. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-08-21          94079

CT laws are the same way ....

View my Photos
kyvette

2004-09-23          97088

My homeowner's and car insurance are with State Farm. My tractor, NH TZ24DA, is covered under my homeowner's policy while on my property. However, it's not covered during transport or while on another's property. I purchased a policy to cover the tractor for any mishap(transporting, liablity, etc) for $160/per year for $11K of coverage. If you transport your tractor I would strongly suggest insurance. ....

View my Photos
n88wrl

2004-09-23          97096

I have State Farm too, and they said I had a $2k cap on 'posessions' so the tractor wouldn't be covered adequately enough. Including all the implements, I went for $20k for $270/yr. Not excited about it, but I did a bit of shopping around and couldn't do better.

-Brian ....

View my Photos
kyvette

2004-09-24          97134

Brian, I will try to remember and lookup my policy for the details, this weekend. It took them about two months to put it together, it wasn't their normal off the shelf policy. If you are interested I can email you my State Farm agent. If one can do it so than the others. Dave ....

View my Photos
n88wrl

2004-09-24          97136

Hi Dave!

Yes, I would be interested in that. I've enabled email in my profile - if you get the chance, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

-Brian ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-09-24          97138

Kubotas insurance was 139 per year for my BX 23.
I added a ryder to my home owners policy instead for 80 bucks a year.
Coverage is on and off road. ....

View my Photos
kyvette

2004-10-04          97604

Brian, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. My policy is with State Farm Insurance. It's a commercial policy titled Inland Marine. The coverage is listed as mobile equipment. The policy is designed to cover both on and off my property and during transport of the tractor. I am emailing you additional info. Dave ....

View my Photos
WVTC33

2004-10-04          97672

I also had to go with a commercial Inland Marine policy through Nationwide to cover my tractor. This policy covers tractor only, no impliments. App. $200 a year for my machine. ....

View my Photos
drcjv.

2004-10-05          97723

kyvette I would also be interested in your policy I have state farm and they told me they could not insure the tractor if it was off my property. any help would be much appreciated. ....

View my Photos
kyvette

2004-10-06          97765

Drciv, I will email you my policy number and the phone number of my agent. My cost is $198 annually with a $500 deductible on an $11,000 tractor. If your insurance agent isn't interested in supplying you with a similar policy you can call mine.

My homeowners will cover the tractor on my property but wouldn't cover during transport or on another's property. Dave ....

View my Photos
its_that_guy@yahoo.c

2004-10-13          98281

yesterdays USA Today (Tues, Oct 12) had an article in section that has news from all the states that was talking about insurance and a garden/lawn tractor.

I wasnt able to cut out the article, but i bet someone can repost it here and see if it applies at all..

From what I remember it is about a man who filed a claim under his homeowners policy from damage done to his son (??) by the garden tractor and the insurance co was trying not to pay since the policy only covers recreational vehicles and they said the garden tractor was a 'work' vehicle.. Which may be of interest in this topic..

Hopefully someone can look it up and see if it is relevent or not to this topic..

View my Photos
its_that_guy@yahoo.c

2004-10-13          98282

here is another article i found on the same subject

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20041012/a_states12.art.htm

Rutland — A John Deere lawn and garden tractor should be considered a work vehicle, not a recreational one, the Vermont Supreme Court ruled in an insurance case. The court sided with an insurer that denied a claim on a homeowner's policy after Harry DeLong accidentally injured his son while plowing snow. The policy covered only recreational vehicles, not work-related ones. ....

View my Photos
unit5alive

2006-10-11          135866

I have a Inland marine policy on mine , about $190 year . ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-10-11          135877

This thread's only two yearrs old but since we're talking about it... my Inland-Marine doesn't automatically cover my equipment, but an added policy is based on the CUT value of $13,000 at $100 per thousand which is $130 per year. Now, what I would get if something happens to it is a different story. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-10-11          135879

i've learned the hard way a couple times in the past to never assume something is covered on your policy. I now check with the agent when the premium comes due if there are any changes in coverage. For example this summer a tennant in one of our houses put a trampoline in the front yard, our insurance agent happened to see it, he called me and gave me a few days to have the tennant remove it or he would report it to their main office and all of our insurance would be cancelled. I checked with another agent on the trampoline thing, their policy is the same, a trampoline cancelles you immediately. Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-10-12          135885

Earthwrks,
I believe your cost per thousand has an extra "0".

Hardwood,
Swimming pools and trampolines equal injuries and death and thus lawsuits. Most homeowners companies here will only insure with locked fence around them.

Coverage on tractors and such varies a lot from one compamy to another and from one state to another. Once you get past a homeowner lawnmower you best be asking. At same time most homeowners cover more than most people think but also have limits on certain items as guns, jewerly and lawnmowers. If you are using the equipment for hire or just you own use will affect some companies. You really need to be honest when you are asking, omit it is used for hire and you may find no coverage for a loss as normally they will check it out. Depending on what you are doing with it, be sure you are covered for liability.

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-10-12          135886

Kenny you caught the the arithmetic error but not the spelling one---oh that's right that's MY job. (BTW--you have one too. tehe) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login