Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tractor for the Tall man

View my Photos
johnmercer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-06          70392

I'm starting to research the purchase of a compact for the spring of '04. I know this may sound crazy but as I start to look at the various dealers I am finding that alot of the tractors feel "uncomfortable" to sit on due to my height (6'6"). With this being said I can only imagine what it would feel like working on one all day long!

I determined that I am probably going to need something in the 25 to 30 HP range. I guess one of my big issues is with some of the hydrostatics the pedal is so close to the seat and with the controls for the loader almost touching my kneecap there is very little room to move my leg.

Is there any models out there that may offer a little more room??? Typically how about the seat adjustment being modified to move further back??

A couple of models that may show some promise is the NH TC29D, lots of driver comforts and the Mahindra 2810HST (it was interesting in that it had 2 different pedals for forward and backward).

Also what about cruise control (the NH had it)??? This would eliminate the need to hold foot on pedal in an un-natural position. (I've got 5 acres of fields to mow with very little obstacles) Are there many more compacts in the industry offering this feature???

Any comments would be appreciated.

John

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tractor for the Tall man

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-06          70395

Morning John You should be able to move the seat back some. My 4400 JD will move back a couple more inches if I needed to. Of course when BH on the seats fight each other.

Tilt steering I would think is a must 4 U the JD's have that I'm 6'1" and find myself reaching when it's all streached out. Telescope would also be a very nice feature for taller people.

I agree on the hydro pedal placements. I've looked at them and shake my head. JD has brakes on the wrong side, to much retraining 4 me. But I know lottsa people that use left foot on brake so it probably works for them.

JD has cruise and all the stuff to work for you. Me I put it in the gear I mow in set the throttle and have cruise with my gear tractor.

The seat switch is un hooked so if I wanna stand up and scratch my self I can, If I need to get off to see what is making a racket with pto running I can.

The new JD's have a new funny bend in the bucket control lever that is suspose to help with the knee problem when you are watching equipment to the right rear.

Spend some time and shop around ....

Tractor for the Tall man

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-06          70404

I think you're are starting exactly the right place. Far as I'm concerned the major brands and some of the grays all make fine machines or at least make them right when there are problems. The prices aren't much different (particularly when any differences are spread over decades of expected ownership).

What that leaves is that the two most important decisions when buying a tractor are how comfortable it is and how you get along with the dealer. A good dealer will ask the right questions and do a good job of matching needs to budget and come up with solutions for most needs. However, they can't do much about how their products sit for an individual, so how it feels is a good place to start. Dealers may have a few solutions for comfort problems such as after-market seats, so I'd ask if I really liked a tractor otherwise. Lack of comfort and awkwardness also can equal safety problems so I wouldn't ignore them. ....

Tractor for the Tall man

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-12-06          70415

Each model is different and sometimes surprising.

I am 6'-4" and almost-too-much-for-one-scale and the roomiest tractor I have sat on is a Kubota BX. The ride on rough terrain left something to be desired, but only the cup holder was in the wrong place for me. ....

Tractor for the Tall man

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-06          70416

John, I am 6'2" and find that I have PLENTY of room on my 4410. The tilt steering wheel and bucket control lever add to the ergonomics as Harvey stated. The seat offers several positions backwards and forwards. The operators station is a flat vibration isolated platform which would almost allow room for a small person but I would NEVER allow that. Stupidly dangerous. The John Deere 4310 would offer exactly what you are looking for in the hp range and features you want. It is one of the most popular models in the in 4000 Ten Series line up. Best advice I can give you is to shop around and try/demo as many color models as interest you and see what suits you best. Personally I prefer tht ergonomics and features offer in the Deere 4000 Ten Series tractors such as ehydro, criuse control, motion match, and load match. The separate pedals I find easier to work with. I am not too excited about the electric pto but I have adjusted to it and have had no problems with it. Good luck on your tractor quest! ....

Tractor for the Tall man

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-08          70509

John, the Kubota B series has pretty good for room as I stand far shorter then you at 6'1" but you might want to look at the B 2910 for the tilt and great seat or go a little larger for the L-3130. ....

Tractor for the Tall man

View my Photos
BillBass
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-08          70515

Something else to consider. If you plan on a canopy, look at head room. I am about 6'5" and have an older JD950 (27 pto hp). I have very little head clearance to the canopy. If I am not careful, going over bumpy area I sometimes bounce up and bump my head on the canopy frame. I have turned down the tension on my suspension seat to set a little lower. ....

Tractor for the Tall man

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2003-12-09          70693

Although not yet a tractor owner, but currently a tractor shopper,Who is just over 6'. I have sat in all the big three and different models and as mentioned in another thread. You may want to look at renting a CUT to do some of the work you need. I have rented a JD 4110 for a day to do some FEL and Field clearing work. And after about 4 hours in the set I was never really uncomfortable.
Of all the ones I sat in in the last week and half, The NH 29D was for me the most comfortable. The seat had a widerange of adjustments along with seat tension. I am not a big fan of the boomerang style pedal controls on some of the tractor styles. But here again it comes down to personnal preference. ....

Tractor for the Tall man

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-10          70759

Probably about 20% at a minimum of the tractors we sell have some modification done to bring the tractor a little closer to what the new owner wants. This is not unusual and we have changed seats run special hydraulics to name a few. ....

Tractor for the Tall man

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-10          70760

Hey Art, that configurable deck idea is looking better and better LOL ....

Tractor for the Tall man

View my Photos
Peters

2003-12-10          70762

I can not understand why manufactures do not add a little tract to the front and rear of seat slides. Most of my problems are in having the seat close enough for my wife and kids to drive the CUT.
I have problems with the car also. Having had to deal with a cushion in some NA cars, I have a policy that if they are too cheap to add few cents of tract then then they definately don't need my business. ....

Tractor for the Tall man

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-10          70764

The NH TC series have some fore and aft seat adjustment. The track is on an incline so if you slide it back the seat goes up a bit. That seems to make sense - taller folks would need the seat to be a little higher. All manufacturers should do this. ....

Tractor for the Tall man

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-10          70773

wbowhunt, for guys like me who are "podietry challenged" and sport a size 15 D "clodhopper", that boomerang pedal just does not work well for me. I have enough problems accidentally hitting both pedals on the John Deere and then having to wait for the controller to clear the momentary built in safety error feature. ....

Tractor for the Tall man

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-10          70775

Ken, I prefer the seats raising as they move to the rear too, it just makes sence to me. ....

Tractor for the Tall man

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-10          70776

Chief, if you got rid of half of the inconvience I bet you'd be on a bota! Ouch!!! ....

Tractor for the Tall man

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2003-12-11          70800

Well Chief, Note quite a 15, but even at my mere shadowed size 11. I had some difficulty and was not comfortable with the boomerrang control. Mostly the comfort of the foot postion when operating, I didn't like leaving my heel back up on the bedal when doing any forward work and then to try to get my heel in someplace that was comfortable for any period of time, was difficult. So for me that pretty much knocked out any tractors with that option( which in my current state of confusion is probably a good thing ) Still stuck at choosing between one of three ) ....

Tractor for the Tall man

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-11          70801

Art, so far I like the ehydro bells and whistles. I just have to calibrate my "foot position sensor" Would give my two front teeth to be back in size 12's again! ;-) Heck of alot easier to find shoes. In fact it was a VERY close choice between the orange and green for me. Like most, it finally boiled down to price and dealer. ....

Tractor for the Tall man

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-12-11          70808

I have your standard issue Fred Flintstone feet.... 14 EE and I had no trouble adapting to the Kubota style pedals.

I might be reading it wrong so I will ask.... Are you resting your heel on the floor when going forward and resting your toe on the floor in reverse?

It needs to be operated as if it were two separate pedals.
That is the only reasonable way to run it. If you are using it like the treadle on an old sewing machine, that would get old fast. ....

Tractor for the Tall man

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-11          70812

That is pretty much the way I operate the pedals now Mark. Every once in awhile when I rear around to back the tractor up, I think my "foot position sensor" looses calibration (moves a bit without me pay attention), and my big clodhopper accidently presses down on both pedals. It is my own fault and it doesn't happen much. That and the old head space and timing error of pressing the wrong pedal. ....

Tractor for the Tall man

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-11          70814

Putting the front of my foot the floor and operating the back of the treadle pedal with my heel caused discomfort bordering on cramps in my right calf. I know, I know, I'm out of shape and should do some stretching :( ....

Tractor for the Tall man

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-11          70823

Mark is right for one of the ways to operate the hydro. I work the reverse level foot in the air with heal on the reverse petal. My heel is definitly on the floor for forward motion. I can drive for hours at that and not have any trouble. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login