Go Bottom Go Bottom

What size tractor

View my Photos
ScottB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-03-18          51390

Hi, first post, great board. I have gotten permission from the mrs. to get a tractor, but dont know what size would be right for me. My uses would be on 4 acres, 1 clear and 3 wooded. Landscaping, underground septic work, foundation for a workshop, cutting paths, moving mulch and firewood. I've looked at the jd790 but have been reading about the jd4110 and 4210. I would like the FEL and a backhoe. What is everyones recomendations?

Thanks
Scott

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

What size tractor

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-18          51392

The backhoe requirement takes the 41xx out of the running. Nice tractor, but not designed with a backhoe in mind. ....

What size tractor

View my Photos
ScottB

2003-03-18          51399

is the 4210 ok or would i have to go up to a 43xx. also what about the 790 and 990? ....

What size tractor

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-18          51400

I do believe all the other Deere's will handle, and have, factory engineered backhoes available. If you are going to do it right and safely, a backhoe should be designed for the particular model and should have a sub-frame. ....

What size tractor

View my Photos
Woodbeef

2003-03-21          51577

Do not sell the Korean offerings short. Mahindra,and Century/Branson have vbery good tractors to choose from. ....

Link:   Mahindra US site

What size tractor

View my Photos
benfranklin

2003-04-11          52993

As a 790 owner for two years and a previous multi tractor owner I'm biased for the 790. Much of your same kind of work with a lot of woods work on hills. Get at least 30hpdiesel,4wd with R4s and try to find the older 70 loader (more max pickup). The new loader is good if you're going to be changing to blade often. If you are going to do a lot of back and forth (moving dirt) get a tractor with hydostatic not manual gear - I don't have but prefer manual gear. Best idea - rent one or two and work with it all day or two- it's the best inventment you can make to make the right decision for yourself on gearing, deck,hp etc. ....

What size tractor

View my Photos
Art White

2003-04-11          53003

For a little different thought a BX Kubota would handle your property size fine! ....

What size tractor

View my Photos
rookie

2003-06-19          58029

Are you planning to do commerical backhoe work? If not you might consider just renting a backhoe to do what you need.
It sure is a lot of money to spend for 1 or two holes,and digging a footing.From the chores you listed it looks like you only have a day or so's work for a backhoe.
I think a 25 to 30 horse tractor w/FEL and bush hog and a box blade would do most anything you would like. I think you can buy several nice implements for the price of a backhoe. ....

What size tractor

View my Photos
TomG

2003-06-22          58112

I have a 6' 3ph hoe and 3,000 lbs. of tractor/loader with 24 pto hoe to go with it. The 3ph hoe kept costs within reason but there are a bunch or threads that discuss the risks of 3ph hoes. It did the trenching work I needed to do in a hurry when I couldn't get a contractor. I like the size of the tractor even is it is a bit over-sized for some of my on-going work.

For the hoe idea, it is good to start with the building and health codes to get how deep you'd have to trench and how wide holes you'd have to dig. Code requirements are going to exceed the capacity of many small hoes. From the codes and the amount of time you're willing to spend, you get the size hoe needed, and you get the size tractor from the size of hoe. Also keep in mind that septic systems take big holes and usually experienced operators to dig them to code.

I like my tractor just fine and I keep it busy enough to suit me. However, if I didn't initially size the tractor to the trenching job I might have kept it busier mowing the lawns with the tractor rather than a riding mower as I do. As mentioned contracting out some bigger one-time projects may point toward a less expensive tractor that's also more useful throughout the decades of expected ownership.

What size tractor

View my Photos
harvey

2003-06-22          58115

ScottB "What Tom said" Unless you are into sweat get the BH that mounts to the tractor when you buy it. The newer JD's mount much easier than the older models

I needed a backhoe like I needed another butt. BUT when I needed to dig something small it was either wait for a contractors convienence and pay extra trucking for a couple of hours work or get out the round point, pick and beg the two boys to come over for a free meal for some digging. Feeding them I might better pay the contractor. OR I could dig it in several hours myself...

Hard to tell you what size you will need. Its kinda like shopping for a woman... what ever your're told will not be right.

Go out and try them, Just like a date, get what you like the best. All have good points and bad points.

Have fun shopping... Harvey ....

What size tractor

View my Photos
CHARLIE KING

2003-07-14          59513

JD 750,790 HAVE HEARD OF ALOT FRONT END PROBLEMS
JD 4000 SERIES HAS A COMPUTER AND COMPLICATED WIRING HARNESS.

LOOK AT KUBOTA.
I WAS A FORD GUY, WANTED A DEER , BOUGHT A 750. IT WAS LESS OF A TRACTOR THAT THE FORD I SOLD.

LOOKED INTO KUBOTA. THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES DESIGNING AND BUILDING THEIR OWN TRACTORS.

BOUGHT A NEW KUBOTA. BEST TRACTORS, LOADERS AND BACKHOES.

DONT TRUST ME, GO LOOK FOR YOURSELF,

P,S, DONT LISTEN TO THE SALES GUYS..

CHARLIE ....

What size tractor

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-07-14          59515

"JD 750,790 HAVE HEARD OF ALOT FRONT END PROBLEMS"

Funny if you do a search on tractor forums such as this with 1000's of memebrs you don't get anything when you search for JD 790 or 750 and front end problems???

Perhaps you could further disclose your "sources"

"JD 4000 SERIES HAS A COMPUTER AND COMPLICATED WIRING HARNESS"
Don't most tractors have computers now? I would have thought that only the basic models without hydros,cruise,load match are without computers. Do the Kubotas NOT have computers or complex wiring, how so?

What size tractor

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-15          59529

In regards to the quoted problems with the Jd's by a new (im)poster I say HOGWASH ! I do not recall ever reading ANYTHING bad about a 790. Both JD and Kubota have models that are reliable and will suit your needs. With a Hoe running around 5k it seems like a big expense unless you have a LOT of digging to do. I found that for the little work I needed done it was far more cost effective to pay a contractor. If you need the BH I like the JD 4210. I personally do not care for the Kubotas the next fellow will not like JD. The best advice anyone who is the least bit honest could give is to make sure you test drive ALL the models you are considering. More than a 2 minute drive in the parking lot. Try to look at machines that are set up the way you want them. It takes more than a few phone calls and a bit of driveing usually but you will probably have a harder time finding a dealer you like than decideing brand Vs Brand. Enjoy the shopping ! ....

What size tractor

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-07-15          59538

I suspect we won't get an answer from the "King" other than:

I HEARD IT FROM A FRIEND WHO HEARD IT FROM A FRIEND WHO HEARD IT FROM ANOTHER (note the all caps)

Hey, isn't that the lyrics from an Reo Speedwagon song? Please don't tell anyone I am quoting them :) ....

What size tractor

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-15          59540

Hay, dont you know if you SHOUT ! it must be true...lol oops LOL ! ....

What size tractor

View my Photos
Billy

2003-07-15          59556

I agree with CHARLIE, almost anyway. I recommend Murray, one tuff SOB. Wal Mart sells em, so you can't go wrong. ....

What size tractor

View my Photos
Art White

2003-07-15          59557

Coming from a different side I think all the problems he named are with the 4000 series not with the 790. ....

What size tractor

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-29          60359

I personally do not have one of the 4010 series but it is my understanding based solely on what I have read that those problems are not a part of the new line and did not effect the 790 or 990. I think if I were looking at Kubota I would consider the 2910 Vs. the JD 4210. One good thing about theese brands both being at the top is that it inspires good healthy competition. Give them both a test drive. Irrespective of what anyone will tell you there is only 1 right machine and that is the one you like with out consideration of paint color. I have said it many times. The hardest thing in chooseing a new tractor is finding a good dealer that you like and trust. Another poster mentioned Mahindra. I have noticed lately that they are getting very aggressive in their advertiseing. Of course with the big 2 so far ahead of the others there is a large void and that is the beauty of competition. Perhaps we will see more and better products/features in the future as smaller companys fill the niche market and try to eat a piece of the potential grey void in the future. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login