Go Bottom Go Bottom

NH vs Kubota

View my Photos
Tom Hollyer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-06-07          16981

I've never owned a tractor before. I just bought 97 acres, mostly wooded, 15 acres clear, some beachfront. I will be needing to mow 10 acres of lawn under big oak trees, 5 acres of brush and field, maintain the beach (discing it, raking it, moving some sand around), cut trails through 50 year old wild roses and brush, maintain 1/2 mile gravel road, snow removal. Not too much backhoe or frontloader work, but definitely some, particularly maintaining the lakefront. I'm guessing that I can remocve some of the purple loosestrife growing along the shore with a backhoe but I'm not sure.I am looking at the TC29D and the Kubota B2710 or B2910. Are they enough tractor? too much? too little? There are features of both that I like but I'm looking for some feedback. Any thoughts?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

NH vs Kubota

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-06-07          16987

Tom, they're all 3 nice tractors; definitely not too much. I have a B2710 and my cousin has the TC29D, and I don't guess either of us would trade with the other. Drive them and see which on suits you best. And I can't imagine you buying one without a front end loader; I think you'd quickly find that to be one of the most used pieces of equipment. I don't have a backhoe, but you might want to read some of the other messages on this and other forums. Very handy tool, but the 3-point backhoes vs. subframe is something you need to look into. ....

NH vs Kubota

View my Photos
tom

2000-06-07          17009

Tom,
When I first clicked on "Today" at the top of this page and say Bird Senter asking (I thought) whether NH vs. Kubota, I thought why is Bird Senter who has given a lot of good advice asking this question. Obviously he was answering with more good advice instead of asking the question. But I digress...
To add to his advice I would look at a lot of the pricing information before you go drive both (which you should). I recently bought a TC33D and did so because(among other things) I knew it was a good deal based on what I had read here.
Also, most people here will tell you that the tie-breaker between colors is the local dealer. I had a Kubota before the NH and like both. As a matter of fact, I started looking for Kubotas before I ended up with the NH. The Kubota parts are higher in general at the nearest dealer to me.
The other thing most people recommend is to get as much HP as you can afford. In my case I was about to settle on a TC29D and was able to get the 33D for $500 more. I thought it was worth it, but I may have been influenced by the dealer too. ....

NH vs Kubota

View my Photos
stvman

2000-06-09          17080

This post is for Bird I am currently debating the merits of both NH and Kubota. Could you tell me (in a perfect tractor world) what you would you take from your cousins TC29D that your Kubota doesn't have and vice versa. Also for my benifit take them out on the asphault chain them end to end for a pull off till one pukes and let me know which one wins (JUST KIDDING). Thanks Steve ....

NH vs Kubota

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-06-10          17090

stvman, I wouldn't want to chain my B2710 to my cousin's TC29 for a pulling contest because I wouldn't want him to be disappointed in that New Holland. That'd be like when we were stupid teenagers and always have to have a race everytime either of us changed cars to see who was the fastest.

Seriously, the features I like best about my Kubota are the pedals, both placement and having rubber pads (personal preference; some like the New Holland arrangement better), the ease and convenience of removing and replacing the front end loader (New Holland ain't bad, but I don't like those bungee cords to hold those long hoses), the location of the loader joystick (it's in the way of getting on or off the right side on the TC29), placement of the taillights (B2710 inside the ROPS and TC29 outside - more exposed to get damaged or knocked off), I like my armrests on the seat (they were optional on the TC29 and he didn't get them). Some of the things I like better about the TC29 are the fact that it seems quieter than my B2710 (we've never had them together so I can't say for sure), the knobs on the ends of the levers are shaped better to fit my hands, the wheels are bigger, telescoping ends on the 3-point lower links, tilt wheel (which is a good idea, but since I like my B2710 where it is, I don't need it), a swivel seat, the cruise control is better on the TC29, and unfortunately, I even think blue is a prettier color than orange (of course color never enters into my decision on what to buy).

In other words, it's mostly personal preference. I bought my first Kubota because of price and "feel" and when I traded up, I stayed with Kubota because of the good service I got from the first one. My cousin was about to buy a Kubota, but I told him to look at all 3; Kubota, John Deere, and New Holland, and he found that a ex-coworker of his wife was selling New Hollands, and he liked the guy and bought from him. ....

NH vs Kubota

View my Photos
Kevin Gohde

2000-07-03          17673

How about Cub cadet 7000 series? ....

NH vs Kubota

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-07-03          17676

Kevin, I didn't consider the Cub Cadet before buying the Kubota B2710 last year, but I did look at them before buying a Kubota B7100 in 1995. And, in fact, the dealer from whom I bought my Kubotas also sold Cub Cadet. Nice tractors with a lot of nice features, but for me the only one I sat on was just uncomfortable; wrong placement of pedals, etc. (which of course is a purely personal matter that might be different for someone else, and which may have changed with the newer models). I also suspect the salesman was right when he said the Cub Cadet cost a little more new, but would have lower resale value. So, while I'm partial to the Kubotas, I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone from considering a Cub Cadet. ....

NH vs Kubota

View my Photos
Kevin Gohde

2000-07-07          17802

What do you think about the nortrac from www.northentractors.com
i was thinking about getting the 25 hp with a bucket for 10500. thanks ....

NH vs Kubota

View my Photos
Rob Munach

2000-07-07          17803

I saw those recently in the Northern catalog. I would try to find out who makes them for Northern. Also, future parts and repair availability may be questionable if Northen decides not to carry that line anymore. You are saving about $4000 off a "name" brand similarly equpped, but you may be getting what you pay for. ....

NH vs Kubota

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-07-07          17812

Kevin--Rob makes a good point about parts availability. I purchased a commercial powerwasher from Northern and within an hour of use, it had sheared off a bolt that helped to fasten the belt housing to the side of the Honda engine. I called Northern's tech support line and was referred to the manufacturer of the powerwasher. Northern is certainly courteous and helpful, but, at least in this case, Northern did NOT support the product they sold. May I suggest that if you were to consider making such a purchase from Northern that you first ask where the service and parts would come from. Mike S. ....

NH vs Kubota

View my Photos
Kevin Gohde

2000-07-07          17813

would you take the chance for 4000 dollars?
How about the lamborghini i would save 1500 dollars and there is a dealer near by? thanks for all your help? ....

NH vs Kubota

View my Photos
Kevin Gohde

2000-07-07          17814

I have asked and they have all the parts in at least a week but the labor you have to pay for unless you take out the extended service plan which includes parts and labor for 4 years for 599dollars. I have to read the fine print. Theni have to find someone to work on it. no one sells them locally. What do you think? thanks ....

NH vs Kubota

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-07-09          17829

I don't know for certain, but I think those tractors that Northern sells are Chinese. If that is the case, these companies are notorious for coming and going. Then you're stuck. My neighbor has a Chinese tractor, which works fine but he's trying to sell it because the company is out of business and when it does break, finding parts won't be easy. He hasn't had any interested buyers, or they want to give him only about 1/3 of what he paid for it 3 years ago. Sounds like a bad buy to me. You would be much better off buying a used name brand-better resale, better parts availability, service available. ....

NH vs Kubota

View my Photos
Kevin Gohde

2000-07-09          17831

Thanks for all your help i will do that. Hows a Lamborghini 25 hp, 4x4 turf tirs, loader and hsd for $12900 sound with a dealer just up theroad fromwhere i work. thanks again ....

NH vs Kubota

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-07-11          17873

Keven, I don't know anything about the Lamborgini (although of course everyone has heard of their cars). Another suggestion: if this is your price range-you might look at a John Deere 790. This is a heck of a buy-last I heard they were selling these new for $11,000 (without loader, loader = $2000-2500 extra). That's a 30HP, 4wd tractor with gear transmission. It's a good design that has been around and trouble free for years. John Deere gave me 1 year interest-free financing when I bought mine. Otherwise-check out Steve Carver's Kubota web site. Even with shipping costs his prices seem like they are tough to beat. ....

NH vs Kubota

View my Photos
Kevin Gohde

2000-07-11          17875

thanks for all your help. kevin ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login