Go Bottom Go Bottom

Chains vs Straps

View my Photos
Cub-Scout
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-23          77732

OK.. someone please enlighten me on this subject! I will be hauling my soon-to-be newly acquired Cub Cadet 7305 Compact....tractor weighs in around 2800 lbs. Shortly thereafter, I'm adding the loader & backhoe, which adds another 2000 lbs....so at what point do I stop using straps and start using chains? I've got straps that have a 3300 lb working load, with 10K breaking load, using 4 of them....is that good enough? I'll be mostly hauling locally, but may (and will eventually) haul it long distance.
Thanks for any input!
Frank

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Chains vs Straps

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-24          77760

If your straps are labeled to DOT standards you will be fine with the straps. The DOT does have standards that would requir you to use a couple more. That is the angle that your have your straps to your machine. It is best to go straight over the machine to get maximun weight allowed by the strap and DOT. We all know that is not usually practical. We run straps or chains to tie down points.

When you get your hoe. I'd chain tractor at all 4 corners and put a strap over the bucket and one around the hoe bucket. The goal being when a DOT guy drives by he/she won't have to take a second look, because nothing wiggles and you have over killed it. You'll also know you are not about to lose it. ....

Chains vs Straps

View my Photos
Abbeywoods

2004-02-24          77811

I have to add, based on my experience with my State's DOT, that if you are stopped for inspection you better not have straps, DOT approved or otherwise, across any part of your machine or its attachments that have sharp surfaces, or edges, or pich points. Before you say that that's easy, think again. The fines are stiff especially if you are a licensed business, a homeowner may get off with a warning. Myself and fellow landscapers who were fined for having straps across the FEL bucket top and down the bucket ends, across the FEL bucket attach points, the backside of the backhoe bucket, and between the boom and trunnion of the backhoe. No amount of fraying or tearing is tolerated on straps. I now use certified binder chains and load binders that run across the backhoe frame and through the FEL torque tube, these locations passed a recent safety check. Each offense also invites a load weight check, a safety check of your trailer's lights, brakes, and hitch. They check the CGVWR on your tow vehicle and the max trailerable weight rating, and then out come the portable digital scales or a trip to the chicken coop. Once they have you they check everything, I was fined for having diesel fuel in a red plastic can without a DOT lable, even though I marked the can "diesel" in two inch stick on letters. Be careful with straps across the center of your machine and the amount of force you use, too much force is not a good thing either. Some parts of the country are lax, around here, especially the I84/I95 corredor, the DOT is nothing short of storm trooper mentality. I'm not trying to scare you or stop you from using straps, just look hard before you leap. ....

Chains vs Straps

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-24          77813

I use heavy 2" straps. I generally try to not run them across anything. A strap rubbing against a tire for even a fairly short period can ruin it. Running a strap over sharp metal can destroy it instantly.

I have special hook points on my tractor that work out well. I always hook at those selected points and run the strap directly to a tie down point on the trailer. If I wrap the strap around anything, it must be smooth and rounded.

Chains work well but they have their downsides also.

I live in NM and I don't think that things are as thoroughly inspected here as in the more populated areas.

Years ago, I ran a farm equipment business and we only used chains for equipment delivery. ....

Chains vs Straps

View my Photos
harvey

2004-02-25          77833

abbywoods I've been thru the drill many times. You have posted some good advice.

Your diesel in a container is considered a "MOT" Material of Trade. If you remember those magic words you can get thru most DOT/Hazmat inspections with small quanities in non approved dot containers that do not show signs of leaking and are marked.

We use straps and chains at work. Any type of damage to either places them out of service. The biggest problem with chain is a bent link or some stretch. Binders have to have DOT certs on them.

We have 1 piece of equipment that is considered a super load, 165,000#'s plus, gross vehicle loaded. those chains have little tags on them with dot certs. ....

Chains vs Straps

View my Photos
Abbeywoods

2004-02-25          77838

Thanks for the tip on "MOT," Harvey. That may get out of trouble some day. I must admit that sometimes I just keep my mouth shut around these guys because they give very little ground. Win one small battle against them, and they try for winning the war. I like straps, especially because they do little damage to my equipment. But it is tough dealing with a mind as closed as a fist. ....

Chains vs Straps

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-02-25          77859

This is a great, thought provoking thread. I am going to re-evaluate how I tie my stuff down. Thanks guys. ....

Chains vs Straps

View my Photos
Cub-Scout

2004-02-25          77867

Thank you gentlemen for all the sage advise! Some extra good advise on the fuel. I'm still curious at what pound limit you should/must go to chains? I guess beyond the straps working loads? I'm going to buy chains and binders today, and carry/use both. As I figure it, you can never be safe enough. I also enjoy all the pics, guess I need to upgrade my membership. Thanks again!
Frank ....

Chains vs Straps

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-02-25          77870

Straps handle shock loads better than chains.

My straps are rated for working loads of 3000 pounds and the whole tractor doesn't weigh much more than that.

I guess it come down to the local laws and what they permit. ....

Chains vs Straps

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-02-25          77873

I'm kinda late with this post to add my 2 cents. I use a combination of straps and chains. Being from on the farm, I have big chains as compared to the weight of the tractor and back hoe. You can never be too sure. I've never been stopped so I don't know what DOT thinks of my methods. When you are buying load binders, be careful of what you are getting. They have cast and forged. Get the forged! I got my through an auto parts store. ....

Chains vs Straps

View my Photos
Murf

2004-02-25          77879

A couple of small points to add in here. As the 'other' Ted mentioned, the DOT can be very strict, they are here in Ontario for sure.

If you use chains and binders be careful where they connect to the load. If for instance, you chain the front of your machine by hooks on the bucket you had better be sure that whatever connects those hooks to the bucket meets DOT min. spec. for the appropriate weight also. A huge chain through a hook bolted through the bucket will only qualify for the amount of weight those bolts are good for and not a pound more. No restraint is stronger than the weakest part of it.

Also, in most cases the inspectors will want to see some form of 'safety' for binders, even if it's only a light piece of cord tieing it shut.

There are a million other small things an inspector in a bad mood can throw at you. Just a few of which are;
- a SMV sign MUST be covered when the equip. is on a float.
- any bindings must be capable of restraining the equipment in ALL directions, not just front to back.
- binders should where practical always be on the curb side so that they can be checked or adjusted without standing in traffic.
- documentation, even if only notes scribbled in a notebook in the tow vehicle showing that the load was checked and when often go a LONG way at the side of the road in an inspection.
- don't volunteer ANYTHING, only answer (politely) the questions asked.

The last point can't be emphasized enough, often a driver lets something slip, or talks so much that the inspector thinks they're covering something up.

There's an old saying "It's better to keep your mouth shut and let them think you're wrong than to open your mouth and PROVE the point."

Best of luck. ....

Chains vs Straps

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2004-02-25          77882

I use 2" wide straps rated for 10,000 pounds, but when you read the fine print they are rated for continuous working loads of 2500-3000#. They also have an edge guard strip that will prevent cuts. I use a minimum of three to tie my tractor down. The number of straps is generally defined by the position of tie down points that keep me from rubbing the straps on tires and sharp metal.

I also use some 1" straps witha 1000# working load to secure loose stuff on the trailer.

For chains, I use 5/16" and 3/8" common chain. Perhaps there is a DOT rated chain. The binders have DOT designation on them.

I don't believe that there is a maximum weight limit for straps. I have driven big trucks with built in strap tie downs that use 4" wide webbing and the ratchet is built into the side of the bed.

I made the mistake of loaning out my trailer and straps to a friend. The rig came back with a frayed strap. He swore that he did not do it, but I roll the straps up after every usage and inspect them, so I KNOW when it got damaged. It was not worth making a big deal out of it, but I won't loan this stuff out again. Your experience with straps will largely depend on how you use and take care of them. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login