Go Bottom Go Bottom

ROAD GRADE

View my Photos
skipll
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-09-09          180287

Hello
I bought a tilt meter( 25CDA ) for my excavator & have a question bout it. When it reads 20 on the incline scale-----what would that be in road grade % . I have googled -----but I still do not understand how to convert that 20 into road grade %.

Link:   

Click Here

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

ROAD GRADE

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-09-09          180288

That means whatever it's on is tilted 20 degrees but not sure what you mean by "incline" because that device shows both horizontal and vertical tilt. I imagine road engineers have their own scales for crowning but I'd think in degrees it would be maybe up to five. ....

ROAD GRADE

View my Photos
skipll

2011-09-09          180289

I am talking bout vertical tilt here---when that vertical meter is on say 20--that would be degrees---so what would that be % grade---like ya see on the road----
I cannot seem to post a picture of a sign only a explanation of one

'Indicates a downgrade, hill, or slope with an 8 percent grade.'

THERE is a picture of one in the Url title---scrool down ....

Link:   http://www.cksinfo.com/traffic/roadsigns/warnings/index.html

Picture Link
Parts and Repair ROAD GRADE

ROAD GRADE

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-09-09          180290

If you google "road grade" you'll find info like this:

"The grade of a road is expressed as a percent, and defined as the vertical gain or loss divided by the horizontal distance times 100. Even though you don't know the horizontal distance, you can still calculate the grade. This application first finds the horizontal distance using the elevation and distance along the road, then uses the elevation and the horizontal distance to calculate the grade. The solution is exact, not an approximation. A flat road is 0% grade, while 100% grade is a 45 degree angle."

ROAD GRADE

View my Photos
skipll

2011-09-09          180291

YES---I saw that & many others too---but that does not answer my question--Thanks ....

ROAD GRADE

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-09-09          180292

Skip, Murf and Earthwerk (may be off on that spelling) are the road builders here. If they don't hit this then send them private mail.

Auerbach, not saying you are not 100% correct and hope does not offend in any manner.

Now let me understand a 100% grade is 45 degrees? Makes sense. Wonder grade some of NASCAR banks are on their high bank tracks? ....

ROAD GRADE

View my Photos
skipll

2011-09-09          180294

Thanks KT----I will wait a bit fore I email them---

AND OH------Talladega Superspeedway has the steepest banking in the turns. Turns 1 and 2 have 33 degrees of banking. Turn 3 is 32.4 degrees and turn 4 is 32.5 degrees.

WOW----TOO MUCH FOR MY MACHINES LOL ....

ROAD GRADE

View my Photos
Murf

2011-09-12          180318

Skip, I don't think any 'converting' is required, without knowing what model of "inclinometer" you have, I'm pretty sure you'll find that 20 does mean 20% slope, in degrees (Auerbach was correct) 45 degrees is 100% slope.

That being the case, 20% would be 20% of 45 degrees or 9 degrees slope.

Best of luck. ....

ROAD GRADE

View my Photos
skipll

2011-09-13          180344

Thanks Murf----this is all confusing to me--- 9 degrees sounds rite.

& thanks auerbach for your time in suggestion of google links. ....

ROAD GRADE

View my Photos
Murf

2011-09-14          180358

Skip, it shouldn't be confusing, it's just IMHO one of those things that seem confusing, then once you get it straight, it's like "oh, that's easy!".

Here's how it works. A slope is expresses in 1 of 3 ways usually;

1) rise (or fall) over run. Commonly used in the context of a drain (an 1" of fall in 10') or roofing (a 6/12 pitch).

2) degrees. Easy, an angle is an angle.

3) percentage. This is where it gets confusing. The key is that, as in above, a 12/12 pitch, that is a foot down (or up) in a foot of distance is 100% slope, one foot for every one foot.

I tell people that the percentage method is actually the easiest to work with since as the name literally means from Latin, it's based on a relation to a hundred units. A slope of 9% is just that then, a fall of 9' in a distance of 100'.

Best of luck. ....

ROAD GRADE

View my Photos
skipll

2011-09-14          180360

Thanks Murf ;)---I understand roof pitches (retired carpenter) & depending on the roofing material I know which ones I could walk freely on---

Went back to auerbach's ;) suggestion---Back to Google & found this chart there--Link below in 'Picture/Image URL:' ↓

-As there is no preview on here---I hope it shows.---If not I will edidt & post the link.
Well that did not work so here is the Link ▬↓↓ ....

Link:   

Click Here

ROAD GRADE

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-09-14          180361

Old dog here but why is degree and angle not the same? It not a very short simple reason don't worry. Think it is in a line on the link, English. So figure it is like the 12 inches in foot rather than 10. Keeps math teachers employed. ....

ROAD GRADE

View my Photos
Murf

2011-09-14          180362

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 180361
Old dog here but why is degree and angle not the same?

Degrees are a description of an angle being part of a circle, 360 deg being a full circle.

However an angular slope measurement is a description of angle being somewhere between horizontal and vertical. This is only 1/4 of a circle, and only half (1/8th of a circle) of that is considered 100 percent slope.

Best of luck. ....

ROAD GRADE

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-09-14          180372

Should worry you Murf when I say that makes sense. Never thought about say a 250 degree grade. ....

ROAD GRADE

View my Photos
bristan8

2011-09-15          180400

20 degrees is converted to a slope using trig tables.
tan of 20 degrees is 0.364 or 36.4 in 100 or 36.4%
or to go the other way,
20%slope is 20 in 100 or 1 in 5 or 0.2 slope
from the trig tables, arctan 0.2 is 11.3 degrees

check: tan 45 is 1 which is 100 in 100 or 100%slope....

ROAD GRADE

View my Photos
yooperpete

2011-09-16          180411

That equates to about an 11 1/2" drop over a horizontal distance of 6 ft. (72") ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login