Go Bottom Go Bottom

3 Point Attachments Installation Woes

View my Photos
Elkoboy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-06-07          16974

I'm a rookie when it comes to tractor implements. I just received my Kubota 2910 and bought a box blade and post hole digger for the 3 point.However I have quickly discovered that putting the 3 point attachments on and taking them off seems to be a pain in the butt (even with all the adjustable links on the 2910). Is there something I'm doing wrong? What is the secret to easily installing and removing 3 point implements?So far I am very glad I went with the mid-mount mower deck as it goes on and comes off easier than any of my 3 point stuff. Am I just incompetent or this the way 3 point stuff works?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2000-06-07          16978

A little practice and it does get easier. There are a couple of knacks that make things a lot easier. Basically, see what happens when you lift the lower links by hand, and watch what happens to both lower links when the leveler is adjusted.

There was a thread on this subject not long ago. Can't remember whether here or tractorbynet or what subject header it was under. Some help huh? Post a note if you can't find it. My basics were put the implements on blocks so they stay in about the right position to mount them, and use a 5' steel pry bar to shift the implement slightly if needed. Also, keep your toes from under things and your fingers from between things until all pins are made.

I think mounting posthole augers is a special case. I don't have one, but I believe they fold flat and can collapse before all pins are in. There was a comment indicating that quite a few people have been hurt mounting post hold augers. I have the same thing with my 3ph pallet forks, only it's much heavier than an auger. I make the lower pins and then bring it upright with a come along attached to the top link bracket. When it's close enough to make the top link, I secure it to around the ROPS lower end with chain and grab hooks while I make the top link. Good idea to get a length of transport chain and some grab hooks. They're useful for all sorts of things. Clevis pins go with chain, and they're useful too.

I also understand that operation of a post hole auger is dangerous. There have been a number of threads where safety and operation of augers is discussed. Real good idea to look them up in the archives here and tractorbynet.

View my Photos
lsheaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-06-07          16982

I must have missed something. I never considered hooking up a 3 point implement being a pain. I'm a farmer & attach implements that you can't move due to weight. This is my procedure for attaching them. Back up to implement. Attach hitch arm to the lower of the 2 attaching points. Raise 3 point till other arm is in line & attach.Either lenghthen or shorten top link to proper lenghth or with a combination of raising & lowering 3 point & moving the tractor forwards & backwards you can vary the distance between the implement & tractor top link attachment points to where you can attach it.
Attaching the posthole digger requires some muscle. You can either take it completely apart( a pain). Or I attach the part to the tractor top attachment, then raise or lower 3 point arms to get them in the proper position. ....

View my Photos
Halsey Green

2000-06-07          16984

I won't take credit for this idea, one of my son's farming magazines had this as a tip of the month - bury a 2 foot pipe larger than the diameter of the auger on the post hole digger into the ground, then store the post hole digger by lower the auger into the hole, this keeps the auger upright, then disconnect the 3 point. Now the whole thing is not laying on the ground. Sounds like a good idea, but make sure the thing is secure and won't fall on someone. ....

View my Photos
djholm

2000-06-07          16989

I have built two a wooden frames and put metal caster wheels under them. I can drop my rear blade on one and my 5'rotory cutter on the other. Sure makes it easy to hook up to 3pt. Also, lets me move them out of the way in my garage. May be able to do the same thing for your attachments. ....

View my Photos
droz

2000-06-07          17001

Ha, I thought I was the only one that had trouble with 3-point hitches. I am also relatively new and was disapointed to say the least as to the degree of difficulty. I figured old farmers were used to it. I, however, am used to my Bobcat attachments that go on and off in one minute with no effort. From my viewpoint, the 3-point hitch is an old design that has been accepted since it is universal. If someone devised it now it would be completely ignored. I even bought a quickhitch which unfortunately didn't fit either my tiller or rotary mower so I had to take it back but at least the theory was sound. There are lots of "tricks" but it is always a decision of whether to change implements or not because it is always difficult. ....

View my Photos
charlie

2000-06-07          17015

the biggest mistake made is not being in the center of the tool to be hooked up.if you line up the top link with the center of the tool,there should be no problem.i have had trouble when the tractor is new,but after a little wear it gets easier.you can also put something under your implements such as 2x4's to make them slide if you have to move them with a pry bar to line them up.good luck ....

View my Photos
Bruce Lahmayer

2000-06-08          17016

I have an L4310 and I have found it more difficult to hook up three point implements than it is on larger tractors. The reason is mainly because of not having telescoping lower links. I have a loader on the tractor so when I am in position to hook up the lower links I roll the bucket down and then lower it down to the ground with some down pressure actually lifting the front end a little. (the bucket is stabbing straight down into the ground) Then with the tractor basically anchored in that position by the bucket I will put the transmission in neutral and brakes will be off. I'll go behind the tractor to do the hook up. By reaching up to the control valve from behind the tractor I can roll the tractor back and forth a little by using the control valve to roll the bucket. As the lower links slide onto the implement the tractor has to roll forward a little bit. This method works well for me but I am not sure the safety police would approve. I would caution against doing this on anything other than level ground. I would also caution to be aware of the possibility of having an attack of clumsiness and inadvertantly get yourself pinned between the implement and the tractor. But I would rather do this than risk injuring my back wrestling a 500 pound three point hitch implement back and forth. Again, telescoping lower links would make this process simple and New Holland is the only manufacturer I have seen that makes them available.
Bruce Lahmayer

View my Photos
TomG

2000-06-08          17021

Somebody made a comment about chaining an auger to a heavy tree limb. Same idea I guess. Both ideas are probably easier than laying it on the ground. Wish I could do something similar with my 3ph forks. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2000-06-08          17022

Maybe my implements are lighter, but I think I'd find it easier to make small adjustments with a pry bar. Most of my implements are 500 - 600 lbs, and the bar levers implements on blocks around easily. My bar is about 5' x 1.25". It's also useful for breaking up rocks in postholes. In blocking implements, I try to keep them from tilting backwards when the top link is detached. It's sort of a pain to hook up an implement and then find the top link doesn't go long enough to make the attachment. ....

View my Photos
Ross

2000-06-10          17102

Im thinking about a "Freedom hitch" to use on my implements becouse I can change the implements 4,5 even 6 times a day and that gets old. I think a freedom hitch would make it easy enough to mak it worth the money. Remember work smart not hard! ....

View my Photos
droz

2000-06-11          17103

I don't know anything about the Freedom hitch brand but I bought the Speeco quick hitch and as I said it didn't fit my implements, for various different reasons. If it fits yours it is a superb idea. Amything that avoids the kicking and shoving it worth it. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-06-11          17105

You aren't wrong; changing three point implements can be a real chore. It isn't my favorite thing to do at any time, but some tricks make it easier. Most important is don't just drop the implement on the ground, but always park it in the same place and have blocks or something waiting so that it is propped up in the proper position to get it on and off. This is so you don't have to adjust the top and bottom links to the limits of their adjustments just to get it on. Hopefully you won't have to adjust them at all.
Have a bar, drift pins, a hammer, gloves, and a big adjustable wrench all handy and use them rather than kicking and tugging at things.
Finally, you are not alone in having a hard time with the post hole digger. Find some way to mount the post hole digger upright. They are the worst of all implements to try to wrestle onto a three point from the ground. I chain mine to a tree, but someday I plan to make a special stand for it.

View my Photos
Jim Hardwick

2000-06-11          17118

2000-06-11

Someone made the comment that NH was the only mfr with telescoping (adjustable) draft links on its utility and larger tractors. A couple of points of clarification: JD also offers them, a $267 option, and NH does not put them on all its utility & above tractors--I know because the one I am taking delivery of this week does not have them, aggrrrrrr! NH does offer a modified set of lower draft arms, referred to as a "quick attach hitch" with open-end claws that self-lock, instead of regular hitch balls. They go for some $600+ installed by the dealer, but I really want those telescoping links!

Does anyone know why telescoping links have not made to compacts?

I too almost had a post hole accident when hooking mine up to my current 1720. The pipe in the ground idea sounds ducky.

Jim ....

View my Photos
JonB

2000-06-12          17119

Elkoboy, I agree with the prior posts, but have to add that post hole diggers are the worst. My solution was to chain the auger to the wall of my barn and hang the boom or top link from a specially constructed stand also attached to the walls. A hand winch allows me to raise or lower the top link for linking or unlinking to the tractor. When not in use, a portable stand helps holds the bottom links at the level where the tractor can back up and link with minimal height adjustment. With this relatively simple to built set-up, one person can link or unlink this post hole digger, and feel somewhat safe with various ropes and chains holding it in place until the final pin puts the tractor in control. After reading similar posts to the ones above, I thought about this problem for months before finally deciding how to solve it--and at least it works for me. All said, I've never heard anyone say post hole diggers are easy to link up. Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
John Shade

2000-06-12          17146

The Kubota B2910 also comes with the telescoping lower arms... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login