Go Bottom Go Bottom

How Much Property Do You All Have

View my Photos
Richard
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-01-05          11711

I have been reading these posts for a while, wondering if I am the only one who wants a Compact Tractor to use on Five Acres of ground. I was wondering if the webmaster could start a poll or if we could use this thread to tell the rest of us how many acres each of us maintain with what size tractor and the chores you depend on it for. I think this would be most interesting.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Kruser

2000-01-05          11713

Richard... I have about 5 acres, rural central Kansas, as follows: .5 acre nice lawn around house, 2 acres semi-nice (native grass cut short) around yard, 2.5 acre meadow/pasture rough. Had a Ford 8N for several years, just graduated to a NH TC29D. Mostly for mowing, but also a little dirt work (got a loader), typical driveway maintenance, etc, etc. I'd be lost without a little tractor of some kind! Hope others reply... I'd be interested too. ....

View my Photos
Nuclear_Weapon7

2000-01-05          11715

I own about 40 acres. But i work with my father and our total land holding including leases is about 700 acres. I have 3 tractors 1) Belarus MTZ-50, 1979 2)Massey Ferguson MF240, 1997 and 3)Kobuta B6100, 1988 and I would like to buy, in would but now if i had enough money an other Massey MF240, a Massey MF375, Kobuta B6100 and would replace Belerus MTZ-50 with a new one. Nuclear_Weapon7.
Hyderabad, Sindh,PAKISTAN.

View my Photos
mario

2000-01-06          11720

With 5 acres that need work you are in plenty of need for a good machine. I have 4 + acres that I have big plans for. 1 of the acres is over grown badly, 2 plus are lawn / garden and the remaining are forest or wetland. I have moved in some 350 yards of fill so far to build berms and re landscape the road front on the busy road side. Could not have done it with out a loader. Also the dry lay stone walls are much easier to build with the tractor/loader to fetch and place the 200 -400 pound rocks. I do it mostly alone, and could not do it without help other wise. As for plowing/ tilling, I could tell you that I am centuries ahead of the hoe or fork now. I am starting to prepare the new barn site and hopefully build a nice structure this year. I could not even think how far I am ahead of where I would be without the machine. ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-01-06          11721

Richard,
If it makes you feel any better, I have a 4100 which grazes on 2 acres(1 acre clear/1 acre wooded). Everyone laughed at me for wanting "such a big tractor" for our "small" yard. Of course.. its funny how they never offered their services on a saturday to lend a hand. Anyway, We took delivery this summer, so I'm still in the adjustment period. But I can tell you...Going from a 12hp lawn mower to a 20hp compact has been nothing short of wonderful. Everything we do is quicker and easier, not to mention all the things not possible prior to the 4100. Our first major project was spreading 4 dump truck loads of mulch around trees and flower beds. And yes, We used to do this with a wheelbarrow, with one major difference. The loader enabled us to spread about 2 truck loads in one day. A wheelbarrow hardly put a dent in the pile by the end of the day. Hence a 3-4 week ball busting project now takes 2 days of "almost" relaxing effort. I wouldn't go back to a lawn mower for anything.... ....

View my Photos
DanaT

2000-01-06          11722

I'm in north central Kansas & live in a small town,I have 2 lots for my house is & own 3 rental houses,and own a small business. I also do alot of custom work with my tractor.If it don't snow I'll put over 300 hrs a year on my 755. I don't own alot of ground, but I could not do with out it!

View my Photos
Chris

2000-01-06          11723

I have 5 acres and purchased a NH TC25D w/loader to help with landscaping/maintenance. Now that I've got a compact tractor, I couldn't imagine stepping down to a regular garden tractor. ....

View my Photos
Scott S.

2000-01-06          11724

Well, I think I've got Mike beat: I only have an 1.5 acres, one-half of which is wooded wetlands. I bought a 4100 last fall with a loader and mower deck, pretty much just for the "fun" of it. What took me an hour to mow now takes me 12 minutes, so I've taken to mowing the neighbor's lawn too! Used to take him 3 hours, takes me just one. The loader I use as an expensive (but awesome) wheel barrel. I've taken to buying multiple tons of fill for the back yard (which slopes quite a bit) just to move it around and justify my tractor. Next spring I'm putting in a garden JUST BECAUSE I CAN! I love my tractor. My girlfriend thinks I'm NUTS! She's right.

ps - Come spring, I'm getting a trailer, too, so I can bring my tractor to all my friends' houses and do stuff for them, too. Of course, I'm gonna have to charge 'em! I just try not to let them see the smile on my face. ....

View my Photos
By the Brook Farm

2000-01-06          11731

I have 15 wooded acres and a JD4600 w/loader and 48 backhoe which is about as big as you can get in a compact tractor. I have used the tractor for clearing a homesite, grading, digging stumps and pulling logs. In the spring will be digging a foundation and septic system, trenching for drainage, doing a lot more grading and dirt moving and trail making. Get a bigger tractor than you think you need, especially if you never had one before. You will find a lot to do with it and unlike most everything else, it is FUN...good luck ....

View my Photos
PaulB

2000-01-06          11734

10 acres, 7 horses, in Central New York. I have a Kubota B1700, with loader, flexible tine harrow, and back blade only for now. Manure spreader coming in the spring (people I talk to think I am certifiable because I am all atingle about getting a manure spreader - they have yet to learn the joy of tractordom). I use mine to move tons of stuff I used to break my back over, pull out old broken fence posts, put in the new posts (also buying a post hole digger when the $ is available), moving snow (UNBELIEVABLE fun), bringing hay and water to the pastures,carrying tools to the opposite end of the property (1/4 mile I used to have to walk one armful of tools at a time), dragging the riding arena, pulling the neighbors cars out of the mud, dragging trees out of the woods to cut and split, etc,etc. I could not run the farm without it. Unlike several other posters, I am not of the bigger is better school. I like my tractor because it is easy to get into tight spaces, like the barn aisle, it is quiet, easy on fuel, and strong enough to get the work done. Whatever excuse you nead, if you love to do things yourself BUY A TRACTOR!!!
PaulB ....

View my Photos
Jim Bowers

2000-01-06          11737

I have 8 acres in south-central Michigan. I have a New Holland TC 18 and
thought I had plenty for my acreage before I read the above posts. I moved
up from an Allis-Chalmers 16 hp garden tractor with a 48" deck and snow blade.
I have a 60" rear Woods mower and a 5' rear blade. Mow my lawn much faster
now and am waiting for snow to use the blade. I used the tractor this past
summer to move tons of fill sand for the foundation for my new pole barn
and couldn't believe what this tractor could do, it's a hydro and 4x4. My
main job is mowing about 3 acres of lawn so I preferred the weight of my tractor, about 1500 lbs., over the TC 25 which is closer to 2500 lbs. Want to buy a 4' rotary cutter to mow down about 4 acres of field several times a year.
Really love my tractor. JimBinMI ....

View my Photos
Greg Erceg

2000-01-06          11738

I have 10 acres in east/central Iowa. 5 acres I mow and the other is in forest preserve. Through the years I went from an 11 horse garden tractor, to a Ford 9N, to an International 234, (18 horse diesel, with 3pt, and all wheel drive), to my current love of my life, a New Holland Boomer 1630, hst, with bucket, five foot mid mount mower, and super steer, with sensitrak. My mowing went from 8 hours to three hours, to two hours forty five minutes, to just under two hours. I really like having the bucket for clearing brush and small stumps, as wll as moving dirt around. I hope to buy a box blade and may-be a spreader to go along with my toy, (tool). I just got the tractor in October, and have had to store it for the winter...it's killing me. Can't wait till Spring!!!
Till then.
Happy tractoring. ....

View my Photos
wgb

2000-01-06          11742

Just recently bought 37 acres in WNW Georgia and discovered this board while researching for a tractor. At present time I plan to buy a JD4400 with 430 loader, however, I am waiting confirmation that the turf tearing issue has indeed been taken care of. My wife plans to set up a nursury for heirloom plants while I work on making a gyrocopter / ultralight airstrip and making as large a pond me and the tractor can handle. Thanks for everyone's advice on the board and I look forward to learing much more in the future. Will ....

View my Photos
Kim Hartshorn

2000-01-06          11745

We have 30 acres in the Adirondacks of NY with a small camp (NY for cabin) I have a 1982 Ford 1500 4wd with loader that I bought used last summer from the local Ford/New Holand dealer. I use it to maintain the woods road and small scale logging. I have built a nice cross slope road and a bridge that I never would have even tried without the tractor. Prolly would have cost close to the cost of the tractor to have the roadwork contracted. I built a 3pt logging winch that has really worked nicely, although right now I am having a beefier piece made for the winch clutch. I would like to find cheap or make a pto sawmill as I have lots of poplar which would make nice saw logs but cannot find a market for. Maybe someday, after we build the house, I might be able to mow with my tractor also :-)

Kim Hartshorn ....

View my Photos
JerryGoucher

2000-01-06          11747

HELLO, Four months ago, I bought 70 acres in NW Arkansas to add to the 12 I did own. Then I started building 4 chicken houses (88200 chickens). Soon after buying the farm, I purchased a new Massey Ferguson 1250-4 tractor, 1217 backhoe, 1246 loader, a Woods M5 bush hog, 5' box blade, 5' blade, 16" single bottom plow, a single row cultivator and a Bush Hog 2101 post hole digger. I have put over 200 hours on the tractor, digging the footing for 2 of the 500' chicken houses, cleaned out 2-400 ft. houses, bush hogging about 40 acres, plowed a small field, blading for the several different pads in and around the chicken houses, digging several post holes and now I am in the process of digging about 1800 feet of water and electric line ditches. The Massey may not be the number 1 seller in compact tractor like it is in large ones, but if I had it to do again I WOULD buy the same tractor. It has lots of power, the operator station is large and comfortable, the controls are well layed out. JerryG ....

View my Photos
Steve Hansen

2000-01-06          11748

My house sits on 1.7 wooded acres outside Jonesboro AR and I have 21 acres of Ozark woods and meadows an hour away. I have an IH 254 4wd that I trailer between both locations. I use the tractor to maintain roads, pull the fire wood trailer, hog the meadows, and finish mow. In the winter I spend several weekends at my country place picking up and hauling off rocks. I have a small trailer that I pull behind the tractor for this purpose. I have a boom pole, carry all, rotary cutter, finish mower, and I am looking a box blades and tillers. ....

View my Photos
Rick Seymour

2000-01-07          11750

Richard - I'm another 5 acre owner. Bought a NH29D last August. Have a 6 Landpride Finish mower (3 point), a loader, turfs (w/the rims dished out for more width/stability), and neighbors w/lots of other 3 point stuff. Also own a Ranch King (MTD) 22 hp with a snow blade and a 50" deck. Used to take 6 hours to mow all 5 acres now it takes about 3. Location is in the South Lyon, Michigan area. ....

View my Photos
gerard

2000-01-07          11751

I have 8 acres, all cleared, 1 acre finish grass, the rest pasture. We have one horse and a small indoor arena. I just ordered a Kubota L2500DT w/loader and 5ft box blade. (27 hp 4wd w/ ags) Will also be buying a 5ft bushhog. Will be doing snowplowing, arena dragging, field mowing and earch, sawdust, manure moving. I debated on buying a finish mower but for less than the cost of a finish mower I can buy a new garden tractor and not have to worry about getting into tight places, turf tires, etc. I really wanted to use the tractor for the finish grass too but I decided the ags were more desirable than turfs and I don't have to worry as much about tight turns, scuffing, etc. ....

View my Photos
Carl in VA

2000-01-07          11765

Richard...I have 6 acres and use a Kubota L3410. I also maintain a mile of private road (snow powing, cutting the banks, etc.) Like most of the replies received this tractor is a lot more than I need, but its a hobby as well as a tool. Unlike a boat at least I can get my money out of it after a few years and I can cut the 4+ acres of grass in about 2 1/2 hours in the meanwhile!! ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-01-07          11767

I have 10 acres in Central Texas, a dozen pecan trees, approx. 9,000 sq. ft. vegetable garden, 3 plum trees, blackberry patch, etc., but I also help on my brother's 10 acres about 8.5 miles from here, my brother-in-law's 10 acres 4.5 miles from here, and do a number of small mowing, tilling, earth moving, etc. jobs for other neighbors (some just for friends and some for pay). I have a B2710, 5' brush hog, 5' finish mower, 5' box blade, single bottom moldboard, double buster, cultivator plow, and front end loader (for which I just manufactured my own brackets for 4' fork lift forks which haven't been used yet). ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-01-07          11771

This is a touchy subject in my house, since I live on a 100 acre parcel, my 'lawn' is big (100 acres, lol). Those of you who are regulars know I am a landscaper, but still it is a VERY big job to keep it up, I tell the girlfriend it is "advertising" so that I can continually do 'stuff' to it, so far she & the tax-man have bought it...Shhhh... There is a 50' x 75' shop / storage building (she calls it the "Toy Box" 'cause that's what it says over the door) with a "Recreation" (read 'big screen on satelite') room above the work-shop portion. There is also a cedar-hedge enclosed, outside work-yard (75' x 150' concrete pad) next to the shop for fresh-air projects, pressure washing, sand blasting, loading trailers, etc. This spring I want to dig another pond (for fish, the first one is for swimming, complete with filteration, fountain & 'beach'), she wants a 'granny flat' for guests (read 'her parents who live 2500 miles away')...this one could go either way... ....

View my Photos
Bob

2000-01-08          11778

I have 18 acres about 1/2 wooded.I bought a NH 33D with a loader,60in mid deck,60in wing mower primarily to mow the mostly open 9 or 10 acres in the fastest manner possible.Yes I did look at those TORO golf course things but came to my senses.I have some mowing around trees and am very happy I went with the 60in vs 72 mid deck because it s just a little wider than the tractor with the deflector pulled up.If there are any 2 trees I cant fit between I cut one down.I have to plug the wing mower, an Acre-Ease commercial unit-heavy guage steel-helpful when you forget its ther and "touch" a tree.I cut in II range as fast as the hydro will go and only slow down when gravity does its thing on hills.I originally bought a TC-25D and it would not pull my hills in II so after 25 hrs I got the 33-much better.LOader never comes off,use it every time Im out.Turf tires and Super steer amazing.1500 ft tarmac to clear of Pa. snow with loader and 650# ballast on 3pt...last owner mowed with a Gravley with gravley wing with a 9ft total cut-I cut his time in half with my 10ft cut and higher speed. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-01-08          11783

This is a very interesting thread. Thank you Richard, for starting it. I live in the Colorado mountains where I own about 20 acres and lease another 60.
Most of the land is rugged and steep and fragile, and only a portion of it can be tractored. The things that grow best here are pine trees, solitude, and rocks. Lawns are rare in the mountains, although i do have about a 30' by 40' patch of grass which I cherish. To get it to grow, we brought a foot of dirt in from a friend's farm down in the flat lands. Mowing it would be sacrilege. I do have a few hundred feet of a small trout stream and a tiny pond just big enough for a pair of mallards.
Bought my first compact - a 16 HP Yanmar- nearly new back in 1980 when Yanmar was a real dealership (not grey market) competing with Kubota to see who would get the US market. At the time I wanted a bigger Yanmar...but the 165D was all we could afford. I remember that I paid $5250 plus my favorite .22 rifle and my pocket watch for the Yanmar 165D 4wd with loader, turfs, back blade, and a box blade.
This little tractor has worked like a mule for almost 20 years and built many things including dirt roads, constructing building sites, and carrying the winter firewood from the forest. It still looks and runs like brand new. I credit it with the fact that I still have a good back after all of this work. It is a a small tractor, and my wife says that I look like a "bear on a bicycle" when I sit on it!
Along the way tractors became a hobby in themselves, including helping friends to look at tractors to buy, some repair work, as well as making new gadgets and gismos to use with my tractors.
About 10 years ago I got an old JD 2 cylinder ag loader/tractor which we use for heavy work, and this Summer finally fulfilled a dream when I located and bought that big Yanmar (336D) that I couldn't afford 20 years ago. It's as nice as I always knew it would be.....20 years old and it still has features that more modern tractors lack. They certainly spared no expense building it. My wife was all in favor of the big Yanmar, but made me promise that I would never sell our little one! No problem there; it's a member of the family now.
Enjoy! Roger Loving ....

View my Photos
Jeff in NY

2000-01-08          11787

Great thread! I would normally be reluctant to post personal information on a public forum, but you all have paved the way and it is very interesting to get to know you all a little better. I live near Albany NY, work in New Jersey 3 hours away, and much like Kim H. earlier, I own 32 acres in the Adirondack Mountains of NY State, which, if you don't know, is the polar opposite of NY City. I'm a country boy at heart who is is trying to return to "the farm" after 30 years. My wife and I bought this land 2 years ago with the intent of building a second home (Kim: fancy camp) to which we could eventually retire and I could operate a small tree farm. This past summer the construction crew (a retired uncle and his cousin) finished the excavation, foundation, framing, roof, siding, windows, and exterior doors so that we could button it up for the winter. Hopefully this year we can complete the interior and infrastructure systems (still have to run electricity about a half-mile). The land was last farmed about 40 years ago; it is now about 6 acres overgrown meadow/field and the remainder old pasture that is now second-growth forest of white birch, beech, maple, balsam, poplar, cedar, and a small spruce plantation. I haven't bought a tractor yet, but have been obsessed (my wife's term) with this purchase for 6 months now. After extensive research and weighing my potential needs, I expect to buy a JD 4300/4400 with 430 loader/toothbar and 48 backhoe this spring. Initial uses will be construction work (water line and utility ditches, driveway, retaining walls, etc.), rock and stump removal to reclaim the meadow, and trail building to access the woods. In the future I plan to buy a PTO timber winch for selective tree harvesting and maybe a chipper at some point. My big decision still is do I buy with Ag tires and then eventually buy a "lawn tractor" to mow planned 1.5 acre "lawn" or do I buy with turf tires and chains and eventually buy a 60" belly mower for my wife to mow the lawn. Are the turfs tough enough for the woods? Well, that's a different thread... ....

View my Photos
Steve in Buffalo NY

2000-01-10          11832

Hi All. I own a house in the suburbs of Buffalo, NY and a 5 acre lot in a further out suburb (Clarence, NY) with 300' of creek frontage , trees, and grass. Hay actually, but when you cut it, it looks ok. Looking to plant a big garden and build a house. Keep the tractor at the house for now - much easier than a snowblower for the 100' driveway! Of course now there's NO SNOW IN BUFFALO if you can believe that..... ....

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-01-11          11861

Hi all;
Well I have 37 acres at one home and 2 other homes with 1-acre a peice.
My main home with 37 acres is mostly wooded with 2.5 acres of lawn, 2 acres of blueberry land. I have a JD 755. I'm looking to buy another tractor, maybe a JD 4600 with numerous attachments. I live in Fanklin, Maine. I have a small brook on my property the needs cleaning up and alot of forest that needs trimming.

David ....

View my Photos
dsg

2000-01-11          11862

Hi all;
Well I have 37 acres at one home and 2 other homes with 1-acre a peice.
My main home with 37 acres is mostly wooded with 2.5 acres of lawn, 2 acres of blueberry land. I have a JD 755. I'm looking to buy another tractor, maybe a JD 4600 with numerous attachments. I live in Fanklin, Maine. I have a small brook on my property the needs cleaning up and alot of forest that needs trimming.

David ....

View my Photos
Walt

2000-01-12          11888

Hello to all . I own about 860 acres of timberland and a home on 5 acres in SW GA. I use my JD 5310 4WD(65 HP)with loader to maintain fire breaks, roads and most importantly try to controll the never ending problem of Kudzu encroachment on my planted pines which range in ages from 25 yrs. to 5 yrs old. I use a 3-pt hitch 100 gallon sprayer to herbicide the kudzu in gullies and places where I cannot mow. Where I can I controll the Kudzu with a 6'rotary mower. I use a 7' rear grader blade to maintain my driveway and to cut drainage ditches and form terraces for errosion controll. I use a 7' harrow for the fire breaks. At home I use the rotary mower on about 3 acres once a month or so and a 17 hp 48" cut riding mower for the lawn once a week or so(depending on the amount of rain). I would really like to have a 4500 or 4600 JD Compact for cleaning up in my young trees for maneuverbility, but I am afraid it would add too much time to my other work. I really enjoy reading the various posts on this board. ....

View my Photos
Ed C In Vt

2000-01-12          11890

Hello folks. I have 21 acres in Northeast Vt. I use my Cub 7260 to maintain my 1500' not-flat driveway (no such thing as flat ground in Vt...), clear new ground, haul my firewood, and plow snow (not much of that this year!). It has a Koyker 150 loader, loaded R4 tires, 7'rear grader blade, and I got a PTO powered chipper this fall that has come in real handy. I'm looking to add a PTO cement mixer this spring as I have some stone walls I want to build that are a long ways from the house (and power). I read this forum just about daily, and have found the collective knowledge of all of you to be real useful. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login