Go Bottom Go Bottom

New box scraper

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-16          91127

I picked up my new box scraper today (actually yeaterday) Cant wait to try this out!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

New box scraper

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-16          91131

Good luck! Getting the hang of a box scraper can take awhile. I still struggle with mine from time to time. ....

New box scraper

View my Photos
TomG

2004-07-17          91171

Yes, there's something satisfying about shooting a good grade. Of course, I discovered that shooting a good grade for my drive a couple of years ago might have been very un-satisfying. A phone company cable locator who marked the line to our house for a new septic system did a little extra and marked the main cable location as well. There's a mark on our drive just beyond where I did some fairly heavy cutting for the new grade. Almost OOPS!

What I learned to make scraper work enjoyable is that the blade angle is almost everything in controlling a scraper. The 3ph doesn't work very well. You'll enjoy it after the first couple of tries and also love a hydraulic top-link. My wife sure hated to see me headed for the drive with the scraper on the first summer though. ....

New box scraper

View my Photos
magnus

2004-07-18          91217

Which scraper did you get? ....

New box scraper

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-07-18          91271

I wound up with the King Kutter 6ft. I am adding 1/4 to the side walls (dont know why just doing it) LOL At this point I could not justify spending $300 or more for a name brand, I would of liked to but the CEO of finance has started to use her pull in our house to slow my toy collection down. I am just happy I have one now! ....

New box scraper

View my Photos
magnus

2004-07-19          91280

Ha!! Understood. I need a box scraper too, to level a woods road that gets washed out easily. I was looking at the KingKutter but with having to move each blade manually, rather than something that lets you move all the blades together, I thought it might be difficult to adjust. How have you found it to work for you? What are you doing with it?? Thanks. Bob ....

New box scraper

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-07-22          91657

Bob
I will have to get back to you on how it works. Next week I will put it thru the ringer. using it for ripping up some food plots (instead of plowing more rocks up) LOL
And for driveway maintanance. I would say for the most part it will be used in agricultural applications, along with keeping the trails pot hole free from the tractor tires. ....

New box scraper

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-22          91676

I have a KingKutter box blade that I use for driveway and road maintenance. It does an adequate job at both. It is a little rough on fabrication quality, and the scarifiers do need to be moved independantly, but it works just fine. I maintain about 800 feet of gravel/clay drive and 1/4 mile of road with it without a problem. ....

New box scraper

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-07-23          91693

Brokenarrow; I spent yesterday afternoon with the 4410 and the Landpride box blade leveling out a site for a new building. I smacked into most anything you can imagine from rocks to tree roots and even a piece of angle iron that was a 6X6 web about three ft. long. I guess you'd say I gave it the test of it's life and it came thru without a scratch. It has indivdualy adjusted teeth, but a long minute has it done. I'm still amazed at how much dirt I moved in a little while. I'm going to post some other pictures in a day or two, so I'll post one or two of this project. Frank. ....

New box scraper

View my Photos
magnus

2004-07-23          91698

So, what's the general procedure you guys use with the scraper? I'm presuming you decide on how far to expose the blades based the severity of the job, and then gradually withdraw the blades as the terrain gets more and more level...is that pretty much it? ....

New box scraper

View my Photos
beagle

2004-07-23          91699

That is pretty much it for the scarifiers, but the "tip", or cutting angle of the blade is as important as the scarifier depth. Tipping the box forward gives a more aggresive angle for the cutting edge and should be used for digging, grading, and moving soil. Tipping the box back is then used for final grading and smoothing. Adjusting the top link length will determine how aggressively the box blade will cut. That's why most prefer a hydraulic top link for box blading, you need to be adjusting the cutting angle to get a good finish on the grade. ....

New box scraper

View my Photos
TomG

2004-07-24          91785

I tend to cut down any big bumps with the rear cutter before starting leveling work. What happens when going forward is that the box drops when the front wheels go over a bump and it tends to gouge ahead of the bump unless the box is held high with the 3ph. Then the box lifts when the front wheels go over the bump so that the blade is cutting air when it's over the bump. Trying to lower the blade with the 3ph at just the right time never has worked for me.

I tend to think of the top-link as adjusting how fast the box fills. I just sit the box on the ground and give the 3ph plenty of float. For long grades I keep it fairly extended so the box is filled about where I want to dump it. If I want to cut down a grade, I start with the link short at the top and lengthen it as I go down the grade. If there's a moderate bump in the grade, I shorten the link as I go over the bump. The reverse works for making grades steeper and for filling dips.

I don't use scarifiers for most grading work (the soil is sandy here). I may want a hard surface that doesn't cut too fast because having to dump in the middle of a grade creates a lot of extra work. In addition, usually you don't want the scarifiers to cut below the finished grade surface for drives etc. I use them for cutting sod and for short shallow excavations. ....

New box scraper

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-24          91806

Tom - That was a very informative post. Thanks for taking the time to explain your system, It always interesting to learn how others use there inplements.
- Steve ....

New box scraper

View my Photos
bvance

2004-07-26          91982

What's your opinion on a Kubota box scraper? It looks like it does not have 2 blades for scraping forwards and backwards as many other manufacture's do. Do you find you need both blades? ....

New box scraper

View my Photos
TomG

2004-07-27          92008

I use my rear cutter quite a bit since sometimes I want material to come off to the side of the blade rather than be carried in the box. The rear cutter is especially handy in rough work for cutting down hills and also for short shallow excavation work.

A rear cutter can save a lot of time since a rough pass can be made in reverse and then a 'leveling' pass can be made going forward all without turning the tractor around. Maneuvering can take a bunch of time. However, it is good to remember that 3ph's are designed to pull rather than push. It's pretty easy to bend the lift arms or for the scraper to float up and jam a 3ph against it's mechanical stops. ....

New box scraper

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-27          92071

Good piont Tom, I often forget that when I am rotary cutting. My mine gets so involved & "on a mission" that I forget the reverse precautions. ....

New box scraper

View my Photos
bvance

2004-07-27          92073

Tom, thanks for the helpful info. Does the Kubota box scraper have a rear blade? ....

New box scraper

View my Photos
TomG

2004-07-28          92091

Sorry I can't say if a bota scraper has a rear cutter or not. I've always thought of them as universal features that come in fixed and swinging types but who knows. One without a rear cutter would have the advantages of a swinging model but also without the ability to use it like a poor man's dozer. I forgot that I also use mine for back-filling trenches so I find the rear cutter pretty useful.

A swinging (or missing) one does provide a greater range of useful blade angles than a fixed model. A fixed one will roll back on its rear cutter and lift the front one if the top-link is extended very far. That works for spreading but at the expense of very fine scraping. For aggressive cutting in soft soils, the depth of cut in a fixed model is limited because the rear cutter will come down on the ground even if the top-link is very short.

I suspect the advantages of a swinging type are marginal except for very fine use. If I wanted them I'd look at a swinging model. I don't think I'd want to give up a rear cutter just for some 'fineness' in my otherwise crude use. A tool doesn't need to be better than the user. 'Course I've only used a fixed model so I may not know what I'm missing. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login