Go Bottom Go Bottom

Road Spraying

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-07          82428

I have about 1/4 mile of gravel road that I maintain. We have been paying for calcium chloride treatment to control the dust in the summer. I am considering doing it myself this year. Can anyone give me an idea of how many gallons of calcium chloride I would need to spray on the that much road, and what concentration puts a good dust control down. This will be a new andventure for me so any input would be helpful. Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Road Spraying

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-08          82450

Road "ROAD" work is figures in sq yards. It will depend on how heavy of a coverage you want.

Figure lenght X Width X gals per yd.

Depending on what your drive is and how you mix will determine your application rate.

Generally for light dust control .25 to .50 gals per yd should be enough. Much more or a really tight base and it runs off into the ditch.

Anyway it gives you a starting point. ....

Road Spraying

View my Photos
beagle

2004-04-11          82783

Thanks harvey, I think I need a bigger sprayer if I am going to try this one. ....

Road Spraying

View my Photos
harvey

2004-04-12          82802

beagle why not use a 3ph broadcast spreader and put down granular?

Keep your rpms down and ground speed up you should get a very nice coverage. A lot less mainteance than a sprayer. ....

Road Spraying

View my Photos
beagle

2004-04-12          82815

Sounds great, didn't know it could be done granular. Can you explain a little further. I thought you needed water to get a "film" applied to the surface. If you spread granular, how do you get the coverage? This is a new concept to me so maybe you can direct me to someplace where I can get some more info. Thanks ....

Road Spraying

View my Photos
harvey

2004-04-12          82869

Beagle it is simply broadcast spreading. You could do it by hand also.

There is lots in the archives on 3ph broadcast sreaders so I won't rehash it.

The beauty of dry flakes or granglar is you see how well or poor your job is as it happens. You can see the white flakes or graings on the road. You can pick up your ground speed or decrease as needed and adjust your rpms to only cover the center part of the road. You do not need to cover ditch to ditch. If it takes 2-3 passes to get the coverage you need because of feed rates that should be acceptable. ....

Road Spraying

View my Photos
beagle

2004-04-12          82899

Harvey, this sounds like a winner. If you don't mind me continuing to ask, how many pounds of calcium chloride would I need to cover 1600 sq. yards of road, ( 1200ft x 12ft). Would a 300 pound spreader hold enough to do the road? Thanks again for your help. ....

Road Spraying

View my Photos
Chief

2004-04-12          82904

Make sure you was the spreader out VERY good with water and spray some type of corrosion prevention compound over all of the areas that have contact with the calcium chloride. I have a 500 lb. Cosmo model that I use with my 4410. There is very little difference in size between the 300 and 500 lb. models. I would suggest the 500 lb. model. ....

Road Spraying

View my Photos
harvey

2004-04-13          82912

It is real hard to figure. I would cut my spread to 8-9 feet (nobody drives near the ditch and some will run out there anyway)

So at 10'x1600' you have 16,000 sq ft = 593 sq yards. Again application: .5# persq yd = 300# or 1-1.5# per sq yd = 600-900#.

Mostly it will be trial and error based on the road pack (loose sandy or tight clay) and what your needs are.

You could also check with your local road supervisor for his thoughts they usually have good knowledge of roads.

Also you could use rock salt. It does not last as long or get as wet but it is a little cheaper. ....

Road Spraying

View my Photos
beagle

2004-04-13          82922

Thanks for your help. I think I have a plan that will work. The only thing I am a little confused about is that a square yard is 9 square feet. A cubic yard is 27 cubic feet. I thought I was fuguring the area to be sprayed in square yards, which is why is was converting by 9. You are converting by 27. I like your answer better, requires a lot less salt. ....

Road Spraying

View my Photos
harvey

2004-04-13          82978

SORRY DUH!!!!! I usually am dealing in cubic yards or tons... The other company divisions do the sq yard spraying. ....

Road Spraying

View my Photos
beagle

2004-04-14          83073

Hey, thanks for the help. I got the idea of where you where coming from. I think I have a plan. Could help justify that spreader I've been looking at. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login