Go Bottom Go Bottom

expecting too much

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-03          82051

I am a little dissapointed and need some advice. My local Farm and fleet had a disk that I bought earlier this week. I was/am picking it up this coming Thur. for I will be traveling to my place for the weekend. I got it for the old price before the increase in Early Feb. because they did not mark down the price on the display model outside, in front of their store. So I was pretty happy that I did not get the shaft since I have been watching this model for a long time waiting for a sale.
I went in the store today and asked if I could see the disk, for I wanted to know how it was packaged (size wise) so I could decide if I needed my trailer or just a little dis-assembly and maybe it would fit in the back of the truck. I was took in the back lot and the disk (my disk) shown to me was the one that was out infront of the store out side for the last decade! (LOL NO JUST KIDDING) but it probably has been outside for at least 8 months to a year since I recall seeing it out their and it did not ever look like it was moved. This disk has paint peeling off and rust formed on many spots (heavy rust not just the light surface kind). I asked whats up with this and he said, "that this was the only one they had, so I got it"? I left the store in confusion. Am I expecting too much for the peice of equipment I was planning on buying to arrive in perfect condition? I understand that maybe after the first time I use it , it may loose some paint and get a little messed up, but my point being is that I intend to garage my equipment. This disk was out in the snowy parking lot sidewalk with salt being put out and on it all winter? Should I tell them I want a NEW one? (do you think they will say to take it or leave it?) The new marked price is 50 bucks higher now. If I go to anouther farm and fleet (closer to my place ) I think I would have to pay the higher price. OR should I ask for $100 bucks off or they can keep the rusty new (used looking ) disk?, and just pay the higher price? I was told by the customer service that this disk was schedualed to go on sale May 8th for $10 bucks less than I payed, but in this time of higher steel prices I was concerned about them aborting there schedual and just not have the sale so I decided to buy it now. I wont need it till at least the middle of MAy, so I could play the wait and hope game.

So, am I expecting too much? or what would you do?
Thanks Tom

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

expecting too much

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-04-04          82060

Tom; Does the disk have sealed ball bearings on the gangs or open cast iron bearings? Several years back I bought a new, never used piece of farm eqipment that had been on the dealer lot for a year, water had seeped into the sealed bearings and most of them had to be replaced before I could use it. Open cast iron bearings with a grease zerk on them can sit out forever without much damage, just grease them up till the grease comes out both ends of the bearing and they will be fine. If it has rusted that bad and has sealed bearings I'd cancel and watch the want ad's. this time of year you'll likely find one in better shape than you've bought for less money. Frank. ....

expecting too much

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-04          82061

Tom You are expecting a little much out of the tractor supply companies. Their prices are cheap because of the short cuts they take. The paint for the most part isn't even primed first. Lighter weight metal than the dealer brands. Most of the parts are lighter duty.

I have tractor supply stuff it is cheap but it will do the job. I have a 4' rotary cutter over 15 years old it is beat all to pieces but it still does the job I need it to.

Just do not expect to much out of it or from them for what you paid for it. ....

expecting too much

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-04-04          82075

This is the Kingkutter box disk. KING KUTTER BOX FRAME DISC HARROWS are constructed of heavy steel square tubing. It connects easily to any three-point hitch with category one specifications. The disc gang axles are made of 1" square high carbon steel rods mounted on double thrust sealed steel bearings. These disc harrows have four angle adjustments of 16 degrees, 30 degrees, 44 degrees, and 57 degrees with an easy single bolt adjustment.
(That was much easier than remembering)
The one I was getting has 18" blades and 3mm thick. I like the 3 angle adjustment and the 790# that it weighs. The paint coming off was not too much a concern to me but more that it was surely "salted" all winter being that is was on the "salted sidewalk". ....

expecting too much

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-06          82347

No, I believe new should be new. All the Kingkutter equipment I have ( box blade, middle buster, RFM ) takes a lot of care because of the poor quality of the paint, and workmanship in general. If this stuff is left outside, it doesn't stand a chance, especially against winter and salt.

I have gone so far as to special order KingKutter equipment so it would be new off the truck. Doesn't do much good. Looks like it sat outside the factory yard for a while. At least that is in Al. where it doesn't get the salt.

Not slamming KingKutter. It is affordable and does the job for everything I've asked it to do. Would be nice to see them do a little something about the fit and finish of their stuff. Of course then we wouldn't get the good pricing. You should try to negotiate the best price you can. ....

expecting too much

View my Photos
drcjv.

2004-04-07          82366

I would tell them you want a brand new one or you want a discount on the rusty one. The manager will know no one else will want to pay full price for the rusty one either. The longer it sits the rustier it gets the harder it is to sell for full price, espeacially if it is setting next to new stock. My nieghbor bought a manure spreader in similar condition at TSC for abought 60% original price. It had sat at the store for over a year. The truth is after several uses the disc will look the same as a new one will after several uses, but then again new is new and I think if pressed they will deal. ....

expecting too much

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-04-07          82378

I was at my local TSC store last night and saw some kingkutter equipment that was painted orange and called BX. It was slightly more expensive than the yellow products. The paint job was slightly better but not by much. Are they bringing out a new line of products? ....

expecting too much

View my Photos
beagle

2004-04-07          82383

This line came out about two years ago. It is made especially for the sub-comapcts. It has lower mouldboard heights and can fit some catgory 0 3-points. All the Kingkutter I have is the XB series, and I like it, even with my B7800. It seems to fit the tractor better. Don't know if the fit and finish is really any better. If you buy in the spring, you are getting fresh shipments and it probably hasn't sat outside as long.

The last time I checked, the XB line wasn't on KingKutter's website yet. ....

expecting too much

View my Photos
Abbeywoods

2004-04-07          82409

Brokenarrow, it is your dollar. If you are not satisfied with the product, take back your dollar. The store has the responsibility to offer you the weather-worn unit as such prior to the sale, ethics dictates that you be aware of what you are buying. Sounds to me like they are trying for a fast sale and are taking advantage of your good nature. Don't give in, if you are O.K. with the brand, have them order a new one and expect to pay the freight. If they balk, get your money back and walk. ....

expecting too much

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-04-07          82415

Thank you all again! I did go talk to the store. I asked about getting 30% off. They scoffed at that and told me I was lucky to get this one for $695 (a mistake by them not lowering the marked price a few weeks ago) (Broken's blood was started to heat a bit) I told her that they were lucky to have anyone interested in last years left overs, and that they never should of increased the price on that one in the first place, the steel increase (and there for their increased cost) did not happen till Feb.
She offered anouther $25 off, which comes to around 4%
I asked her if she would like to come and look at it with me so I can show her what I am talking about, she declined and told me that $25 was the best she could do. I told her OK then and asked for it to be removed from my credit card. She told me, "You mean you dont want it?" I laughed, I told her she should of looked at it. I went back in the store today to buy something else and was approached by a guy who works their that remembered me and the disk. He told me that after inspection of the product he was told NOT to put it back on display and to wait till the new shippemnt comes in and put a new one out there. LOL He also told me, "trust me, after I lifted it up to move it to the back, you would not of wanted it. The salt from the last winter or so really ate it up." For all I know it was out there for 2 winters.
Anyway with my dad coming out of the hospital soon (I hope) I will be very buisy for a few weeks taking care of him at his house, so this is a big weight off my shoulders, it would of bothered me for most of the spring till I could get to it.
Thanks again ....

expecting too much

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-07          82419

It sure sounds like you did the right thing. It's never satisfying to make a purchase and then constantly second guess yourself by wondering if you did the right thing. ....

expecting too much

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-04-07          82439

Kwschumm
Thanks, and I wanted to say I am sorry if I have ever been a bit ornery the past few weeks, this thing with my dad has got me real moody his blood pressure is now down to 64/32 or so. He has taken a down turn so I apologize if I was or have been argumentative, just too much going on at once and this board seems to take my mind off alot of other problems so I thank all of you for helping.
Tom ....

expecting too much

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-04-08          82454

Brokenarrow; sorry to hear about your Dad, hopefully things will improve for him. I also think of chatting on the board as a form of stress relief, kinda my form of a round of golf. Frank. ....

expecting too much

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-08          82474

I haven't thought that you've been ornery or argumentative, but I am sorry to hear about your dad. Times like these are the toughest times there are. ....

expecting too much

View my Photos
Abbeywoods

2004-04-08          82477

Dear Broken, you did the right thing. About your dad, I've been there and know how it eats at the mind. You find yourself preoccupied almost all of the day, and when the mind gets weary it is like there isn't any power left to make even simple decisions. You are a good son to be so concerned, help him fight the disease but don't fight yourself in the process. Good luck to your dad, I bet he's proud and comforted to know you are by his side. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login