Go Bottom Go Bottom

Post Hole Auger

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-10          79451

I am about to purchase a post hole auger for my B7800. Have about 150 post holes in sandy soil. Looking at the 3-point PTO driven variety, not wanting to spend big dollars for a hydraulic auger. I have seen prices ranging from about $300 to $550 without the auger. Looking for any advise on how well these augers work and any recommendations on makes and models. Thanks for your help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Post Hole Auger

View my Photos
drcjv.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-10          79477

I bought one at TSI for $350.00 and dug over 100 holes with no problems. I think it works great. ....

Post Hole Auger

View my Photos
beagle

2004-03-10          79481

Thanks dr. Can I ask what kind of soil you dug in? I was concerned about how well the auger would remove the spoils as I dig. ....

Post Hole Auger

View my Photos
drcjv.

2004-03-11          79523

My ground is mostly clay and like I said the auger worked very well. ....

Post Hole Auger

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-11          79527

Beagle,I've never owned a post hole auger, but I've rented one a couple times. I don't remember what brand it was, but the PTO drive system was kind of "Cave Man" design. Perhaps the PTO drives for augers of today are better, but we were diging in a soil with baseball size gravel rocks, and some tree roots, after a couple dozen shear pins I decided there had to be a beter drive system. The neighbors around here kinda know me as the "Orbit Motor Freak". Orbit motors elimimate universial joints, chain drives, elrctric motors, breaker boxes, etc. etc.. When properly sized and correct pressures used an auger should simply stall when it strikes an obstruction, then it can be reversed with the SCV lever on the tractor without all the shear pin replacement. Intermittent use rarely causes a heat problen with the hyd. fluid, but continous use can, so before you use any orbit motor powered equipment be sure to check with the dealer where you got your tractor to be sure the hydraulic system is capable of what you want to acomplish. Just my thoughts, Frank. ....

Post Hole Auger

View my Photos
Abbeywoods

2004-03-11          79531

Another source for an economy priced 3pt hitch PTO unit would be Northern Hydraulics. PTO driven units work for most soil applications, but for hardpan and rocky soil your augers should have replaceable cutting edges, and the lead screw should be replaced with a fish tail tip. I'm not certain that the less expensive units offer these features, or if they offer single or double flight augers. Single flight augers work best in hard soil, double flights bring soil up from the hole faster but work best in moderate hard to sandy soil. To penetrate really hard ground, you may have to invest in a "down pressure" kit for your 3pt hitch. This will give the auger the extra force needed to get through the hard stuff. ....

Post Hole Auger

View my Photos
beagle

2004-03-11          79534

Thanks. I would prefer hydraulic driven, but not sure the budget will. The vinyle fencing will eat up most of the budget. Double flighting on the auger seems like a winner with the soft sand I need to remove from the hole. May be able to use the down pressure stroke as a way to get rear hydraulic plugs approved by the CEO. Any excuse will work for me. ....

Post Hole Auger

View my Photos
Murf

2004-03-11          79540

Beagle, another thought to consider if you are in very sandy soil is not augering at all.

A friend of mine owns a good-sized fencing company and advocates merely driving longer poles in if the ground allows it.

He came and did a dog run for me here at the house, I live in an ancient river valley and the ground is pure sand for a LONG way down, they merely push posts true and plumb into the sand and string the wire up. They used 8' posts for a 4' high fence and it is as sturdy as any I have seen.

One big advantage is that there is nothing for the frost to heave up. The other thing is speed, although you do need to be careful with the alignment since the only way 'adjust' the posts is to pull & re-set them.

Best of luck. ....

Post Hole Auger

View my Photos
beagle

2004-03-11          79563

Murf, can you drive vinyle posts, 5" x 5"? I can check with the fence supplier also. The CEO is dead set on vinyle. I have about 1500' of it to put up, so I would sure like to do it the fastest way possible, without eliminating the excuse to get a couple new toys for the tractor out of it. ....

Post Hole Auger

View my Photos
Murf

2004-03-11          79564

Beagle, I consulted with the expert, I mean the FENCE expert, not my wife.

He says to put in bare tubes of a size which JUST allows the vinyl posts to slip down over as a cover. In fact he says you can get lighter vinyl 'skins', which are normally just used to cover wood posts, for a LOT less $ than the vinyl posts cost, the extra cost of the steel tubes is more than offset by the savings of the vinyl 'skins' instead of posts, and the cost of the hole and concrete.

Best of luck. ....

Post Hole Auger

View my Photos
beagle

2004-03-11          79576

Thanks, I'll look into the tubes. I work for a steel fabricator so this is a language I'm familiar with. The price of structural and rolled steel shapes has gone up 75% since January. If you need some steel for anything, you better hurry. Scrap rates ( what structural shapes are cast from )have jumped to over $200/ton. Time to clean out the back 40 !! ....

Post Hole Auger

View my Photos
antpsuesq

2004-07-13          90768

Hi - Looing for information on a post hole auger digger that caused an injury to a client. Can anyone suggest a source of information for determining who produced a generic-appearing impliment?

Any help would be much appreciated. ....

Post Hole Auger

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-13          90773

Post some pictures..... maybe we can get you pointed in the right direction. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login