Go Bottom Go Bottom

Weight Limit on 3ph forks

View my Photos
Wannabe Farmer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-05          70379

I have recently redone/extended my poolyard with 3500 sq ft of bluestone. I have 4 leftover palets filled 1/2 full - stone company says they weigh 3500 pounds a palet when full. My 3ph on 4310 JD are rated for 2000 lbs. Palet forks are constructed of 4" welded steel. Is there any danger of hurting my 3ph, tractor, or forks when lifting what I would guess are 2000 lb palets? Anything I should know about?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2003-12-06          70401

You should ensure the forks are rated for the weight but also be aware that the 3ph may not lift them even if they weigh less than the 3ph rating. Ratings usually are defined as 2' behind the link pins. The load may be centered further back depending on fork design, loading etc.

There's little chance of breaking the 3ph or tractor just lifting. Most will lift more than the rating and the relief valve should open before something breaks. You may need a bunch of front ballast and then damage could happen when transporting a load and hitting a bump. Stability and stopping also may be problems. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-06          70417

Every tractor I have had so far could lift more than it could carry on the three point.

Too much weight on my Deere's and the front wheels will come off the ground, especially traveling uphill.

On the BX the rear tires would pancake.

With the Deere's I could roll the barbell into the loader bucket and go real slow. There wasn't much to do about the BX other than reduce the load or take a chance on popping a tire. ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-06          70419

Actually your 3 pt. hitch is rated for 2,200 lbs. Provided your forks are rated for that much or more. I would think you would be fine. Half of 3,500 lbs. would be 1,750 lbs., add the weight of the forks and empty pallet and I think you will still be within the limits of the hitch. You have 450 lbs. to play with. Just take it nice, slow, and easy. Make sure your sway braces/arms are set to minimize lateral sway and try to remain on level ground as much as possible. Be VERY cautious on hills/slopes and traverse them at a 90 degree approach. If you have the FEL installed; that should give you a good bit of counter weight. Slow and easy is the name of the game so in the event that the front axle raises up on your or other issue, it happens slow and you have time to react and adjust. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-12-07          70456

I'm sort of spoiled for that kind of work since I have a 3ph-forklift with hydraulic carriage tilt and that's the work it's designed for. I know I'm writing more than you can read but there are things I think are worth saying. Be aware that going up and down hills could dump the load--on somebody, against a building or onto the tractor etc. so take it easy. Be especially careful if there are any hills to go up since weight will transfer back and there may be no steering if there's not enough weight in front. It's easy to upset pallets when running forks under them and also when getting pallets off the forks. It can take a bunch of angle tinkering so give yourself plenty of time.

I assume the forks have adjustable widths so they can go though the pallet notches you won't be able to run forks under the pallets otherwise. However, depending on the ground the pallets are on there may be trouble running the forks under the pallets. There's not a lot of clearance between the forks and notches. That's the tinkering it takes and you only have lift height, side-leveler and top-link to play with. The fork tips may dig in or they may go in part way and then tend to upset the pallet. If the ground where the pallets will be placed is different than where they were sitting the forks may be locked under the pallets and it takes the some sort of angle tinkering to get the forks loose. When I get forks under a pallet they're usually angled down a bit. To pick it up I tilt the carriage back so the load rests against the backrest before lifting, which make it more stable for transport. If that's worthwhile doing, it'd have to be done with the top-link. ....

View my Photos
Wannabe Farmer

2003-12-10          70765

Thanks to everyone for your advice - true I cannot read the whole message but I get the gist of it. I just don't want to hurt the 3ph, linkages, or whatever. I am assuming these parts can handle the maximum force that the hydraulic system can exert. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-10          70771

We gotta get you joined up for the New Year so you can read all of the great info. on this board! Merry Christmas! ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-10          70772

I've missed this post! That is what they put relief valves into the hydraulic system for and you should be sure to test all the equipment to be sure it is up to snuff. I to test them out once in a while! ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-12-11          70794

Art's comment is to the point. I'd be more concerned about stability than damage to the 3ph. My blab was about getting pallets on and off forks when they're on rough ground. It can take some tinkering and I've had some frustrations even using my more adjustable forklift. I just wanted to prepare you for the possibility that you get them on the forks and then have trouble getting them off and to give yourself plenty of time. Frustration and time pressure is a bad combination when using a small tractor to deal with that much weight. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2003-12-11          70859

Thanks guys - great information - this is "Wannabe Farmer" just joined as ncrunch32. This is the first website I ever thought was worth joining. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-11          70860

Welcome aboard Wannabe aka ncrunch32! I've found this board to be the best one going. The people are friendly, helpful, and flamefests are generally rare. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login