Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cheap pallet forks

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-02          65340

I'll be building a series of retaining walls this fall and need some pallet forks to haul pallets of blocks around. I don't normally have a need for pallet forks so I'm looking for a cheap way to get a set. I'm not sure if 3ph or loader forks would be best but I have no preconceived preference. I know that all you welders would just make your own but that's not one of my current skills.

All suggestions are appreciated!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Cheap pallet forks

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-02          65342

By far the cheapest would be a set of sturdy carry all forks. The usually price out between $100 and $150 and can carry up to 1000#

You can get a set of Rankin Forks that quick attach to your loader mounts for $600 from Fisher Implement.

I really like mine and can't imagine being without them. They go on and off in under a minute and will carry 1200+ pounds. Very handy. I use them more than the bucket.

Go to rankineqco.com and under "vendors" click on Rankin and it is at the bottom of the page under "loader mounted forklifts" ....

Cheap pallet forks

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-02          65347

Thanks for the pointer Mark. Those Rankin forks look pretty good and they're about 30% cheaper than the JD forks. A can of green paint and who'll know the difference? I'll call Fisher and see what they'll do for me. ....

Cheap pallet forks

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-02          65348

Mark, do those forks fit on the loader with the quick release pins? That is a SWEET looking set up. Reasonable price too! I agree; forks are really handy to have around. Thanks for the link info.! ....

Cheap pallet forks

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-10-02          65359

Yes Randy, Two pins and the bucket is off and two pins and the forks are on. I like 'em. And it has nothing to do with the fact that I am a Rankin. (The other grandfather). ....

Cheap pallet forks

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-03          65365

Some of the cheapest I've found are three point hitch and are around 200 for a ton capacity. Universal skid steer hook ups are normally about 875 for a good set. ....

Cheap pallet forks

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-03          65381

I am not exactly following what a universal skid steer hook up is. Can somebody post a link or something so I can see a picture of one? Maybe I am thinking different terminology. Thanks! ....

Cheap pallet forks

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-10-03          65387

The universal skid steer set-up is functionally the same as what I have but with different connections.

Rankin has those on the same page as the forks made to interchange with John Deere FEL buckets.

If you cruise the various vendors on the Rankin site you can find almost any type of implement you want. There are at least four different types of 3 point pallet forks pictured. ....

Cheap pallet forks

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-03          65424

I was looking at the 3ph forks vs. the loader forks on the Rankin site. It seems to me the 3ph forks would be easier to use because you can turn around in the seat and actually see where they're aiming. The loader forks would be harder to aim when picking pallets off the ground, but of course they can be used to pull pallets off a truck, loading dock, etc. where the 3ph forks can't reach. Are there any other pros/cons between the two styles that I'm not seeing? ....

Cheap pallet forks

View my Photos
Stan in Calif
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-10-03          65445

You can carry a lot more weight with much greater safety with 3ph forks. ....

Cheap pallet forks

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-10-03          65447

Ken, unlike the solid mass of a bucket, the FEL forks are composed of strips of steel that you can see around.

If I get a chance this weekend I will take a picture from the drivers seat for you.

There is a trade off..... the 3 point forks will certainly lift more, but they are far less versatile.

I added a simple loop of steel to mine and turned the forks into a 5th wheel hitch. ....

Cheap pallet forks

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-03          65448

I was not thinking that the view would be obscured by the mass of the forks, rather that it would be obscured by the hood or front axle housing. Maybe I should just disconnect my bucket and see what kind of visibility I have of the loader quick attach links - that might do the job. A picture would be appreciated if not too much trouble. Thanks, Mark!

Although the 3ph forks will do the job for our retaining wall, I just know if I get the 3ph forks I will immediately have a need for loader forks. Murphy's law at work (No, not you Murf!) ....

Cheap pallet forks

View my Photos
Murf

2003-10-03          65450

Oh no, trust me Ken, you had it right. I of all people know just how effective Murphy's Law works......

However, Mark is right, the visiblity is not bad, you basically look down either side of the machine by leaning to one side or the other.

Don't try leaning both ways at the same time however, that can lead to a 'split personality'..... GROAN. ....

Cheap pallet forks

View my Photos
dsg

2003-10-03          65454

I would think the forks would be good for driving into a pile of brush and picking up more than the FEL could at one time.

David ....

Cheap pallet forks

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-10-03          65455

Thats a big 10-4, David. ....

Cheap pallet forks

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-10-03          65458

Ken, I have a set of NH forks that I swap out on my Quick-tach plate on my FEL. The view is generally not obsured by the hood because the forks are generally set wider than the hood. There are times that I have trouble seeing the tips of the forks, however. Somewhere about axle height the Quick-tach mount obsures the view of the tips of the forks.

There is another thread dealing with level indicators for buckets. With pallet forks it is a more severe problem. As you raise the loader, they tilt back further. Also, if you have a load on the forks it often obsures your forward view for driving as well as whether the forks are level. Since I spend a lot of time carrying heavy items on the pallet forks, I have thought up a little level indicator that will let me know the tilt of the forks at any height. If people are interested in this we can start another thread on level indicators. ....

Cheap pallet forks

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-03          65467

I think I should have bought a bigger tractor! I don't think any pallet forks will do the job on my 4310. The blocks come 72 to a pallet at 43 lbs/block, so a pallet weighs about 3100 lbs. That exceeds the lift capacity at either end of the tractor! Ideas anyone? I'll need about 40 pallets of these things. ....

Cheap pallet forks

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-03          65470

AC, I'd be interested in knowing how your pallet fork level indicator works.

I think I brought this idea a few months ago. Someone needs to invent some self-leveling pallet forks for loaders. ....

Cheap pallet forks

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-03          65484

Looks like you are gonna have Popeye forearms when this project is over Ken! ;-) My back is hurting just thinking about this wall! Can you get smaller load pallets? ....

Cheap pallet forks

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-10-03          65487

Ken Here is my indicator idea.
Basically it is just a little weighted drum with a pointer. I plan to set it up so that the drum will rotate and follow a weight in the bottom. It will have two zones. The white zone is safe and is from forks level to tilted back. The red zone is indicated when the forks tilt forward. Level is a the intersection of the red and white zones. I may put some degree marks to give me some further indication. I should be able to tell at a glance where I am and keep the forks level as I raise them.

I remember your comments about the self leveling forks. In my opinion, it would be extraordinarily complicated and heavy to do this with a parallelogram mechanism. So the other option is with a hydraulic servo that would attach a sensor to the forks and level them. That could even keep them level if you go over uneven ground. This would not be cheap to do, but it would work. If you took my indicator drum idea and tied that into a valve or electronic sensor, you could do it.

Cheap pallet forks

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-03          65504

I'll have to ask about the smaller pallets, but I doubt they will sell them that way. When I was at the supplier they had stacks and stacks of blocks and they were all the same size.

Mike, that indicator idea sounds simple and effective. If you ever build one for yourself you'll have to take some pictures and post them. ....

Cheap pallet forks

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-10-04          65574

KW I had a similar project building some block walls and wanted inexpesive forks to save my back. I found a set locally, they chain on to the bucket, on and off in about 3 minutes they work great. They are 6ft long so there is no problem with visability. The best part about it they only cost $235.00. They are powder coated. I think you will get more use from loader forks than 3pt. They do work great for moving large piles of brush. I also needed many pallets of block I just ask supplier to make me up half pallets which I could easily move on and off my trailer. (TC33D,7308) Good luck with your project. ....

Cheap pallet forks

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-04          65576

My local JD dealer has forks that go on the bucket for around $300 - they said the forks are rated for 1000 lbs but the bucket would deflect before that load is reached even with my HD bucket. That kind of capacity would be inadequate for my needs even with half pallets.

I agree that loader forks would probably be more useful in the long term but at twice the price I'm leaning toward 3ph forks. I wouldn't use loader forks for brush since I have a grapple that works great for that purpose.

It is very encouraging to hear that your supplier would make half pallets for you. I'll give 'em a call to see if they can do that for me. That would be a real back saver. Thanks a lot for the info! ....

Cheap pallet forks

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-15          66294

Mark, I ordered a set of Rankin three point 2000 lb forks through the dealer. Their normal product line doesn't fit the iMatch quick-hitch but they are making a custom one for me for only $30 extra. Those guys are easy to work with - thanks for posting their link! ....

Cheap pallet forks

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-10-15          66296

Based on what I have seen, I think you will be very pleased with the quality of Rankin engineering and finish work. ....

Cheap pallet forks

View my Photos
plots1

2003-10-15          66341

I burned a fork set up togather out of scrap steel that was very cheap. Sure isn't as pretty as some of the bought models but very useful. Infact they stay on the front most of the time beings there far more handy than the bucket. ....

Cheap pallet forks

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-15          66343

You gotta post some pics. when you get it mounted Ken. Sounds like a nice set up. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login