Go Bottom Go Bottom

cutter blades

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-22          55324

what is the best way to balance cutter blades after sharping?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

cutter blades

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-05-22          55329

I'd put a small bolt through the hole and see if the blade will stay horizontal. If not, I'd grind some off the heavy side, I'd grind on the riser out towards the blade end rather than the cutting edge. ....

cutter blades

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-22          55336

Yep, that's the easiest/cheapest way I know of. You can also use a nail.

They do make an apparatus to check blade balance. It's a pretty simply gadget. The base is round and has a point sticking up, like a nail. The round top part sits on the point. The top part has ridges that will fit the inside hole of different blades. A picture is worth a thousand words, especially in this case.

Wait a second here. If you're talking about rotary cutter blades, I don't know. ....

cutter blades

View my Photos
plots1

2003-05-22          55340

I I'm talking about rotory blades, i know the way to do it when the blade mounting hole is in the center of the blade but cant fiqure how to do when mounting hole is on one end. OR does it matter if there balanced on rotory cutters the way they swing from the end? i was thinking maybe it has something to do with keeping the blades the same weight but not sure ....

cutter blades

View my Photos
Billy

2003-05-22          55342

Heck if I know, plots1. The only way I can think of to balance a rotary cutter blade against the other would be to weigh them. I'm sure someone will speak up here and shed some light on this predicament.

I've never tried to balance mine. Actually never heard of anyone else doing it.

cutter blades

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-05-22          55349

I have never balanced them but know of 2 ways that will work. Weigh them and compare the weights, or make a simple balance beam and hang one on each end. Simply grind some more off of the one that goes down until they hang level or close to level. ....

cutter blades

View my Photos
TomG

2003-05-23          55399

Knife-edge balances are pretty accurate for comparing the weights of things. You actually can use a real knife. ....

cutter blades

View my Photos
Murf

2003-05-23          55411

I'm with slowrev the balance is the easiest way to get them balanced, but a beam level is not required to do it.

Find an overhead wood structure handy to the workbench and/or grinder, door frames are handy spots, and screw a small pulley into the wood. Next run a short 2'? through the pulley and tie a hook onto each end.

To balance your blades just hang one from each end, a difference in weight will cause the heavy one to fall and the light one to rise, speed is an indication of the difference, if it hardly moves it is close to balanced. Then just grind some off the heavy one till they balance.

Best of luck. ....

cutter blades

View my Photos
plots1

2003-05-23          55412

is balancing really that important on brush cutter blades? ....

cutter blades

View my Photos
Murf

2003-05-23          55425

Not if you don't mind replacing bearings and re-welding mounts and brackets on a regular basis.... ....

cutter blades

View my Photos
plots1

2003-05-23          55427

so i'm guessin you should try to keep them the same weight? seems like thats the only way to keep them in balance, if there is another method I would sure like to know, ....

cutter blades

View my Photos
Murf

2003-05-23          55430

While I have seen VERY out of balance units (bent spindle) run for a long time, it is very hard on the driveline, tractor included.

In a perfect world you the blades come from the factory balanced, and you never hit anything to damage them. Yeah right, I know what your thinking, Martians land at your place and leave rocks behind every now and then to keep you on your toes.

They don't have to be perfect, but close is a good thing. If they are well balanced the cutter should run very smoothly with no noticeable vibration at all. In a severe case I have seen one that was so far out of balance the operator was complaining about his hands going numb from the wheel shaking. Not good.

The other point that can extend the life of your unit is the gearbox lube, check the owner's manual for your unit, a lot of them call for the unit to be filled with GREASE not gear oil, however few people (mechanics at the dealer usually) follow this instruction. Under heavy loads tremendous heat can be generated, proper lube will of course help this, this is especially important in high ambient temperatures.

Best of luck. ....

cutter blades

View my Photos
TomG

2003-05-24          55456

Comparing weights as Murf described is about the only practical method for typical owners. Rigging up a knife-edge balance isn't actually that hard but the increase in accuracy probably doesn't buy much. The cutters should be suspended from the balance in the same plane though.

Comparing weight is a static method and it isn't sensitive to how weight is distributed across a cutter. Parts can weigh the same but be out of balance in operation unless weights are distributed similarly. Dynamic balancing solves this issue but fewer owners would have the equipment and I'm not sure it's a practical consideration anyway. It is probably worth knowing that grinding a lot from one place can improve the static balance but may do little for the dynamic balance.

cutter blades

View my Photos
Reberta

2003-07-01          58638

plots1
cant help you with the blades question. Was looking at your pics and became very interested in the fork lift implement, where did you purchase it and what is its make and... it is attached to a 3ph? ....

cutter blades

View my Photos
plots1

2003-07-01          58648

Reberta,I welded the front and rear fork set ups out of scrap steel myself. there not as preety as the one's you buy, but for next to nothin they work really good.the front one hooks on the same way the bucket does and the rear one yes does hook to 3 pt. some iron, quart of JOHN DEERE green and 3 hrs welding and that's what I came up with. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login