Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cutter noise JD 616

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-04          54272

My rotary cutter has been making this weird noise lately. I'll be using it, hit a rock or something and it'll make a weird squealing sound. It may stop squealing or it may keep doing it for a while. I can stop the cutter and restart it and most times stop the squealing.

I can't figure out what's making the sound. The blades are tight, plenty of oil in the gear box. It's not the PTO safety shield. It has a slip clutch but it's not slipping, cuts just fine. The blades pivot like they suppose to and the stump jumper is secure.

Anyone have any ideas?

Billy

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Cutter noise JD 616

View my Photos
marklugo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-04          54275

Billy,
I think you might look into having a damaged bottom gearbox bearing. It could be the top input bearing. Is this gearbox starting to heat up when it makes the sound? It may not necessarily heat up. Depending upon the gearbox manufacturer, it may also have needle bearings that have been damaged on the input shaft. ....

Cutter noise JD 616

View my Photos
Billy

2003-05-04          54276

Mark,

As far as heating up, it doesn't get that hot (no more than the other implement gear boxes). It may start this noise right after I first start using it.

What would be the best way to check these bearings?

Billy ....

Cutter noise JD 616

View my Photos
Peters

2003-05-04          54277

Being contrary I might check the bearings, but my guess is that the slip clutch is slipping. There are bolts to tighten the friction. My guess is that the jar allowed it to slip and now it is slipping at times. Sort of like a loose fan belt. ....

Cutter noise JD 616

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-05-04          54279

Slipping PTO clutches produces considerable smell and smoke when slipping for more than a second or two. Billy said he thought they were fine. It is important to double check the clutches for lining residue though just in case.

To perform an elementary test on the bearings is difficult. The only sure way is to dissassemble the box and visually inspect the bearings. Possible you might find some metal frags in the the gear box oil though.

Just thinking further could some fence wire or other material worked its way up between the stump jumper and mower deck? This could eat out the seals and bearings. Oil leakeage might not occur because usually there is two bearings in the bottom and sometimes they use sealed bearings in newer gearboxes. ....

Cutter noise JD 616

View my Photos
Billy

2003-05-04          54280

After some further investigation, I found a loose washer on the shaft. It's between the blade holder and the gear box. I figure this washer, at times, spins and causes the squealing noise? I'm not sure what this washer is for or if it's a spacer?

Billy ....

Cutter noise JD 616

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-05-04          54281

Billy,
Is this a possible seal instead of a washer? ....

Cutter noise JD 616

View my Photos
Billy

2003-05-04          54282

Mark, I don't think it's a seal or part of one. I can't see it but by feeling, it feels like it's maybe 1/16" thick and concaved (like a spring lock washer). According to the OM it doesn't show this washer but you know how JD manauls are.

After sittin and thinkin, this does sound just like a washer spinning on a shaft. Like in between a squeal and a rattle. It's hard to explain.

Billy ....

Cutter noise JD 616

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-05-04          54283

I have fixed many a gear box on these things, and just haven't seen a washer in this area of this description. Though I suppose it could be a shim though. The surest way to tell is to drop the jumper though. ....

Cutter noise JD 616

View my Photos
Billy

2003-05-04          54284

It could be a shim or maybe some kind of dust cover type washer? I'll drop it and check it out later. I know it's gonna be a pain to get off though.

Thanks Mark
Billy ....

Cutter noise JD 616

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-05-04          54285

Billy,

Loosen you nut on you stump jumper(don't remove completely!) and start your mower up by engaging the PTO quickly as possible. Do this several times. It should loosen the stump jumper so that it drops down easily. A little penetrating fluid sprayed on the splines beforehand will assist greatly. ....

Cutter noise JD 616

View my Photos
Billy

2003-05-04          54286

Great idea Mark, thanks. I would never have thought of doing it that way.

Billy ....

Cutter noise JD 616

View my Photos
Billy

2003-05-04          54287

Mark,

I've been tryin to figure out what this washer like thing could be.

Does the oil seal or bearing, whichever is on bottom, have a washer type cover that slips into the same space? Or does the oil seal contain a metal disk?

Billy ....

Cutter noise JD 616

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-05-04          54303

Usually the seal in these type of gear boxes is doubled. One seal on top of another and yes they are usually made like a thin metal disk that is stamped with a rubber seal vulcanized to the inside ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login